aberdeen-music

Bass: Guitar for Retards

Guest Craig

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Paulscoconutass

If you wanna learn guitar or bass its gonna take many times more to learn guitar than a bass, so in a way it is easy to learn - but there are no instruments that are easy to master.

That's bullshit Paul. Fair enough learning to play route notes of power chords on bass and playing in a sub-standard punk band is pretty easy..but learning to play bass involves a lot more than that.

Originally posted by CraigDDG

That's bullshit Paul. Fair enough learning to play route notes of power chords on bass and playing in a sub-standard punk band is pretty easy..but learning to play bass involves a lot more than that.

Im afraid I have to agree with Paul. Bass is much easier to learn than guitar. They are both equally difficult to master though in my opinion.

Originally posted by Camie

Im afraid I have to agree with Paul. Bass is much easier to learn than guitar. They are both equally difficult to master though in my opinion.

Much easier to learn?

Much easier to learn what exactly?

Much easier to learn some Blink 182?

Much easier to learn some Victor Wooten?

Don't be such an idiot.

I was once told that "ALL guitarists can play bass excellently" but I found even though I can kind of play acoustic guitar, that I could hardly sound a note on bass. SLap bass looks like a pretty extreme technique to master which I doubt all guitarists could do just like that...apparently bass is harder for girls cause of smaller hands which I could be swayed to believe, even though there are a few good known female bassists.

but to play that you need to master bass would you not?

No.

You just made this ridiculously vague comment that just didn't make sense at all, it was stupid, admit it.

thers a difference between learning and mastering, and its not a contradiction - Bitterman -i pressume you are learning to paint (in art school) but have you mastered it already???

Its much easier to learn bass than guitar - its a fact (why do you think in standard grade music classes there is about 5 people outta twenty that take up bass cos its the easier option. But like i said - every instrument is difficult to master.

thers a difference between learning and mastering, and its not a contradiction - Bitterman -i pressume you are learning to paint (in art school) but have you mastered it already???

Well even though Bitterman hasn't posted here...

But using that logic, anyone could throw paint on a page. Anyone could play a note on bass. Anyone could play a note on guitar. And so use of the word "master" would mean to make something worthwhile. Which takes as much on bass as it does on guitar.

Its much easier to learn bass than guitar - its a fact (why do you think in standard grade music classes there is about 5 people outta twenty that take up bass cos its the easier option. But like i said - every instrument is difficult to master.

But there is no defition of "learn" in the context you are using it in, therefore, as I said it's far too vague a statement and just sounds stupid.

Originally posted by CraigDDG

Well even though Bitterman hasn't posted here...

But using that logic, anyone could throw paint on a page. Anyone could play a note on bass. Anyone could play a note on guitar. And so use of the word "master" would mean to make something worthwhile. Which takes as much on bass as it does on guitar.

Thought batman was bitterman..... darn

What shite.

My only thought on the matter.

Bass is probably an easier instrument in the sense that you can play something recognisable in a shorter period of time. Bass is no way an easy instrument to play tho.To learn a good technique and sound is definetly not an easy thing to do. I hate guitarists that pick up a bass and instantly think that because they are good guitarists they are good bassists.

Originally posted by Princess

What shite.

My only thought on the matter.

Bass is probably an easier instrument in the sense that you can play something recognisable in a shorter period of time. Bass is no way an easy instrument to play tho.To learn a good technique and sound is definetly not an easy thing to do. I hate guitarists that pick up a bass and instantly think that because they are good guitarists they are good bassists.

Ive onyl seen one person play bass and guitar very good. That is Fish of Hot Mangu! :cheers:

Ive onyl seen one person play bass and guitar very good. That is Fish of Hot Mangu! :cheers:

?(

Aye, are you locked up in a room except for when there are Hot Mangu gigs?

Guest not a statement

in simple terms learning where to put your fingers for all the guitar chords and then learning to change from chord to chord is harder to do on guitar. The guitar is also quite petite compared to the bass so you have to concentrate a little harder.

however bass is a heavier instrument and the bassist has to be in tune with everything else that is going on. To provide a good bottom end to the music the bassist must be able to pick out all the other instruments and add whats needs to be added in order to enhance the song. So all in all i feel the guitarist as a harder job to do technically but the bassist has the ability to change a song.

i also beleive that certain people are suited to bass and guitar .

Lets not forget....there are bass players and there are ***bass players*** you have to remember that at the basic level of playing guitar is very impresive...when you come home from a guitar lesson and play Michael row the boat ashore to mum she is so impressed but would you get the same reaction if you play a bass progression in G.....I think not!!

Lets put it this way....ask any world famous guitar player to do what the likes of Stanley Clarke....or John Entwhistle does...could they do it.....could they fuck...

Guitar playing and bass playing should never be compared....why should you? do you think a cello is easier to play than a violin?

Leave the guitar playing to the girls and primadonna's

Bass is for real men!!!

Guest not a statement
Originally posted by GraemeC

Hey girls.....that last bit was a joke by the way!!

Some fine female bass players out there.....more than there are guitarists...I wonder why that is?

err because they have breasts?