aberdeen-music

Bass For 300?

Teenage_Poetry

Graeme's thunderbird would be an excellent buy, tokai make some excellent quality gear.

my other choice would be to have a look at the peavey grind series, they have the 5 and 6 string versions in bruce millers and there is a 4 string version available, they are slightly over budget, but absolutely excellent basses, and well worth saving a little extra.

David

i reckon that yamaha basses are decent on a budget but you can get some decent deals on ebay if you lok around. the only problems there are the risk (which isn't too bad these days) and the fact you never get to play the bass before you buy it. getting stuff second hand is cool and shopw tend to whack a fair bit on the price but at least you get to play it before you spend the hard earned cash on it. saying that, i did by my stingray mail order.

i'd just go with Craig and get a feel for what you like. names tend to suggest quality, but they're not the be all and end all.

spoonie

X

Originally posted by mikenifficent

how much does this class cost??

I'd do it for free as I pity those strings!

Ermm Ibanez...

The SRX500 for 319 4 strings, very solid and simple to use bass that pouns out a great tone.

570.gif

Or the SR300DX for 249 the more slender version of the afformentioned bass. More control over your tone. Slim neck which offers easy playability. I bought one as my first bass and I think it's great. Also there is a 5 string version for 269. These basses would give you a few extra quid to buy a tuner and a strap and what not too. Also both Bruce Millars and RandB stock Ibanez basses.

567.gif

Check out www.gak.co.uk for basses and then look online for some reviews...search for harmony central on google they have customer reviews on everything. Once you've found some you like see which shops ahve them and which can get them in for you in Aberdeen. If you don't mind the trip Dundee has a good shop soundcontrol www.soundcontrol.co.uk worth checking out.

I do know how to put on the strings...its just a quicker way I put them on ?( and it still works fine

Sorry to be so blunt here but NO YOU DONT

whoever makes that bass spent thousands of yen or whatever to get the straightest pull possible on those strings and you manage to wind three of the four strings the wrong way on to the capstans....now forgive me if im wrong, but unless you did that for a reason (and im fucked if I can think of one) then you dont know how to string a guitar.....

I have preached so often about how important little things like that are. People go out there and play gigs when they dont even know how to do the simplest things on a guitar...like tune them or in this case fit new strings....and I dont care what anyone says it is important.....it helps keep the guitar in tune...it makes those expensive strings last longer....it make you look like you know what your about....it makes the guitar look and sound better....if your not sure about something ask someone who does....me for instance, if I dont have the answer I will know someone who does.....just ask...I wont laugh, everyone has to learn.

Originally posted by GraemeC

Sorry to be so blunt here but NO YOU DONT

whoever makes that bass spent thousands of yen or whatever to get the straightest pull possible on those strings and you manage to wind three of the four strings the wrong way on to the capstans....now forgive me if im wrong, but unless you did that for a reason (and im fucked if I can think of one) then you dont know how to string a guitar.....

I have preached so often about how important little things like that are. People go out there and play gigs when they dont even know how to do the simplest things on a guitar...like tune them or in this case fit new strings....and I dont care what anyone says it is important.....it helps keep the guitar in tune...it makes those expensive strings last longer....it make you look like you know what your about....it makes the guitar look and sound better....if your not sure about something ask someone who does....me for instance, if I dont have the answer I will know someone who does.....just ask...I wont laugh, everyone has to learn.

I wouldn't say they where on the wrong way....just not a good way. As I say YES i do know how to put them on a better way, and YES i have done that now

I wouldn't say they where on the wrong way....just not a good way. As I say YES i do know how to put them on a better way, and YES i have done that now

Well im sorry to push the point.....but.....there are two ways to wind the string onto the tuner captstan clockwise or anti-clockwise one way is correct and the other is WRONG..WRONG..WRONG....!!

And you my friend in three of the four strings have wound them on WRONG.....not easier.....not better.....not quicker....WRONG....!

Well im sorry to push the point.....but.....there are two ways to wind the string onto the tuner captstan clockwise or anti-clockwise one way is correct and the other is WRONG..WRONG..WRONG....!!

And you my friend in three of the four strings have wound them on WRONG.....not easier.....not better.....not quicker....WRONG....!

not now thier not

Old wives tale.....

Guitar tech and bass player for 30+ years, and I can assure you if you are a serious player then boiling your strings is not big and its not clever...it improves them tonally for a very short time by, as you say, washing out all the crud from the windings but makes no difference to the corroded and fucked core of the string....in fact, it possibly makes it worse....as I said "old wives tale"

Look after them by cleaning them with a lint free cloth afer every use, and change them when they need it, I know they are expensive but its the only way im affraid.