aberdeen-music

60's Hall Of Fame

Rob

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit off track but one guy to look out for Damien Dempsey, very intense, charismatic Irish singer songwriter with a reggae tinge to his work. Played the Lemon Tree learlier this year and supported Dylan and Morrissey.

Also have you heard Jellyfish? Bellybutton their first album was magnificent pop but then they followed it up with a rather lush Beach Boys ish album, which I wasn't quite as keen on although still worthy effort, before imploding.

Guest AmbientMood
As for Damien Rice and Katie Melua-they're both on record as saying that without Bob Dylan they wouldn't be doing what they're doing

But your missing the point of the original post. Whether or not Dylan was their sole influence, the actual musical content is so much more advanced, hence why I can't be arsed with Dylan, influence or not. It's like metal fans pretending they like Black Sabbath because James Hetfield was influenced by them or something. Sabbath, to our standards - suck!!! influence or not. Some atrists stand well over time, but the majority (naturally) get thrown to the wayside by new generations who improve on their predeccesors. Think about John Bohnam and how much false enthusing there is over him.

I got the name wrong with Katie Melua, basically just watch Jools Holland, the amount of female singer songwriters you see on there writing some really fucking good music. Damien Rice: I heard his album the other day and its a downright emotional trip!