aberdeen-music

Music Downloads

A.Pel

I feel that music downloads is the next step in the evolution of band promotion. People would like to hear samples of the album before they go and spend their hard-earned cash. This might not benefit the bands, but i couldn't really give a fuck

At the end of the day it's my money i am concerned about

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH my favourite subject!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I download music. When I do, it's usually live gigs by my favourite artists (I have a fair few Tomahawk, Manics and Clash gigs) or b-sides which are no longer available. As these are unavailable to buy, there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing this. Sometimes I download an album track by someone I've heard of who intrigues me, but I want to be sure I will actually like them before buying the album. This way there is less chance I will end up spending 10 on an album I end up hating. As a result, I have been buying an average of an album a week the past year or so. Before I downloaded music, I was very careful to make sure I would DEFINITELY like a band before buying their album, and as a result only bought CDs about once a month, if that. Technically this is stealing, but as it usually ends up with me buying the album, I daresay the artists in question wouldn't mind. And if I don't buy the album then they shouldn't be so shite.

However, I am dismayed by the number of people who see no problem with downloading entire albums. It's one of the things I regularly slag off a few of my workmates about for doing. It gives off an impression of thinking that we all have a right to own any music we wnat, which is not the case. And if we all downloaded albums instead of buying them, then when exactly would the bands have time to record their music? Certainly not between 9am and 5pm, cos they'd all be working, since they wouldn't be able to make a living out of their music. Free music would be all well and good under a communist regime, but we aren't a communist country (probably just as well we aren't since we'd just get bombed by America) and as such, commodities such as music have to be paid for.

However, I would never even think about paying for a download. When I pay for music, I want the whole chebang; CD and artwork. On nicely pressed CDs and nicely printed paper, nae a tacky Maxell CD-R and some shitty printing paper.

Basically, I think all bands should put all non-purchasable songs on their websites, along with a couple of tunes from all their albums. Then people have no excuse for downloading music illegally, and I would gratefully give up Soulseek if this were to happen.

I have slightly strong feelings on this.

You have to think about it like any other business.

Who'd think it fair that people came into a sweet shop and took a Toffee Crisp off the shelve for free without the shopkeeper wanting them to - so they could test it and decide if they want to buy Toffee Crisps in the future.

When I went into the Portlethen Asda a while back, they were offering samples of the new Chocolate Orange ice-cream. As a result of the sample, I went home with 4 tubs.

If someone had offered me a free Mars bar when I was little, I might not have waited before I was 21 before eating one. Many shopkeepers over the years have thus missed out on the oppertunity to get money from me because I always assumed I'd hate nougat.

Saying that, you talk sense.

You have to think about it like any other business.

Who'd think it fair that people came into a sweet shop and took a Toffee Crisp off the shelve for free without the shopkeeper wanting them to - so they could test it and decide if they want to buy Toffee Crisps in the future.

Thats not really a good example of trying before buying to compare to music downloading, as there is a pretty distinct difference between the price of a sweet, which will probably be under 50 pence, and an album that could cost anything up to about 16.99.

Taking example from movie trailers, if bands were to release around two or three full tracks for download, then it would probably lower the amount of people who are illegaly downloading to try out albums.

A good example of this would be the Relapse Records site. A lot of the albums of artist signed to relapse have thirty second sound clips of a reasonable amount of tracks on the album.

Another alternative to release the full tracks would be release unmixed tracks. Cult Of Luna recently released a track from their new album Salvation which was of a good enough quality to use as advertisment for the new album.

Thats not really a good example of trying before buying to compare to music downloading' date=' as there is a pretty distinct difference between the price of a sweet, which will probably be under 50 pence, and an album that could cost anything up to about 16.99[/quote']

doesn't matter what the price difference is, "it's the principle of the thing"

PLUS comparitively, its the same, because you may get something for 16.99 for free, but if you start BUYING the 16.99 things then its in proportion with...hmmm, i don't fancy explaining this anymore.

well said ^ (to the first speech)

i see what you are saying in your second post' date=' but im just leaning on the fact that it should be the artists/shopkeepers choice if they want to give away free samples.[/quote']

Aye. If Asda hadn't let me taste that ice cream, they wouldn't have made about 10 when I bought the 4 tubs. But it was their prerogative. I daresay they'd have (at best) laughed in my face if they caught me tasting a tub without permission and for an excuse said "I wanted to make sure I liked it first."

Aye. If Asda hadn't let me taste that ice cream' date=' they wouldn't have made about 10 when I bought the 4 tubs. But it was their prerogative. I daresay they'd have (at best) laughed in my face if they caught me tasting a tub without permission and for an excuse said "I wanted to make sure I liked it first."[/quote']

best excuse for shoplifting ever.