aberdeen-music

Harmonica/Mouth Organ

Guest Salty

My granda played the mouth organ in a band (a ceildh band i think) and I've been thinking to myself, if he could do it so can I.

However, I need a little help. I've never played one before and I was wondering are they difficult to master?

I can make a noise on them, I can play the pipes for the bagpipes, just never got on to learning how to squeeze that bag, Im guessing that harmonica only needs a good blow like the pipes, i can do that.

• 2 weeks later...

I can play some basic stuff, mine cost about 20-25 smackers from Bruce Millers, they have a pretty big selection. Make sure you get one tuned to "C", they have stickers on them witht the different tunings, you can get loads of fancy Blue's harps etc, but a basic C tuned harp is best for learning. A Hohner would be a pretty good place to start. You can get tabs and things for them that are pretty easy to read, the only difficult part is all the mouthing techniques and stuff.

Lee Oskar harps are easier to bend notes on for that bluesy twang. I think they're about 14 these days. Make sure you get a major diatonic key to start with. Remember, diatonic harps plays two keys, one in straight harp and another in cross harp. Lee Oskars also come in natural minor keys and harmonic minor keys.

Lee Oskar harps are easier to bend notes on for that bluesy twang. I think they're about £14 these days. Make sure you get a major diatonic key to start with. Remember' date=' diatonic harps plays two keys, one in straight harp and another in cross harp. Lee Oskars also come in natural minor keys and harmonic minor keys.[/quote']

hmm...must check those out.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh. Sorry!

Out of interest' date=' do you play guitar and harp simultaneously?

I bought a harmonica rack a fornight ago (can you tell I'm a Dylan fan! :love: ), and it's more difficult than it looks.[/quote']

yeh. guitar and harp simultaneously...though i still dont look as cool as dylan when i've got a big metal structure strapped round me neck. :(

yeh. guitar and harp simultaneously...though i still dont look as cool as dylan when i've got a big metal structure strapped round me neck. :(

Ha! Same here.

The one I got is easily big enough for a chromatic harmonica, which makes it really big.

Dylan's old ones seemed smaller.

Or maybe he has a really wide head.