aberdeen-music

When John Peel retires...

ragudave

When John Peel retires from Radio 1 who will take over from him?

Who else will play a bit of extreme drum n bass, followed by the Fall, some blues recording from nineteen outcake, followed by some roots reggae, a twee session from a indie band from Glasgow / Liverpool / Manchester, a bit of gabba or happy hardcore, some Zaiko Langa Langa. Then a rant about football, an obscure 78 that has not been played on radio before, then some Japanese noisenik band who play 30 second tracks followed by a Status Quo number and of course another record with a tenious link to Mark E Smith or Cpt Beefheart...

Dave

PS I hear that Rod Stewart is standing in for Peelie some time soon - will he play Sting, his own recordings or gabba?

me! i could do it! but seriously when peel retires/pops his clogs radio 1 will not feel the need to replace the show with something similar (or indeed someone with the ability to play records at the wrong speed) but will no doubt bang on another dance show cos thats what they believe the kids want.

you havent seen my record collection! i used to do a great show on community radio 'the vinyl frontier' mixing up drum n bass records with indie classics and the odd gems like cliff richard/elvis presley soundtrack songs...

oh and i think that rod stewart is in for peel next week, sioxsie is on wednesday and robert smith on thursday, should be an interesting listen...

that seriously is a fucking great idea!

ive never heard a peel show as i dont listen to radio *hides* but im aware of the great peel and he appears on some very odd cds (doom for example, some wouldnt class that as weird i guess tho) but my girlfriends dad said he has a few tapes of recorded peel shows from.errr maybe 20 years ago or even more

i must try get a hold of them sometime