aberdeen-music

The Filth And The Fury

Guest allsystemsfail

Guest allsystemsfail

Anyone else seen this movie? If so, what did you think of it? I just caught it yesterday, and hey, what a movie. Just awesome.

For those who don't know, The Filth And The Fury is Julien Temple's second Sex Pistols movie. A documentary, it traces the band's turbulent history - from its very early beginnings to that fateful show in San Francisco. Was nice too to see it set against the political turmoil of the day - a thing important to punk's rise. Was so cool too catching that unseen footage - of the band, unused sequences from The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle, and wow, Who Killed Bambi.

Hey Jake, thanks for allowing me to borrow it. :up:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest allsystemsfail
yeah its a great document of the pistols told from the bands point of view as opposed to McLaren's.

Yeah, it also destroys the myth that the Pistols were a manufactured outfit, that they were just McLaren's puppets. McLaren doesn't come out of it well at all. And shit, he still talks of how the band were his creation, of how he shaped them. :swearing:

Guest allsystemsfail
he didnt in the recent BBC3 documentary either cos McClaren made claims and then it would cue to Lydon and i know who I believe!

In the movie it is suggested that Mclaren encouraged Sid's drug addiction. Shit, what can you say about the man? It's sad that Rotten and co didn't take that decision to go it alone without McLaren.

Brilliant, inspiring and sad film about the rise and demise of THE greatest rocknroll band of all time (dont even attempt to argue with that one you fucks!) - and the only band to ever speak the truth - obviously no-one listened as nothing has changed - full circle of shit blah blah etc....

i bought filth and the fury in hmv a couple of months ago for 6! great buy i thought.

i like how the band interviews are filmed in an i.r.a. stylee.

i also like how even sting manages to come accross as a prick in it.....i know he always comes accross as a prick but its a film about the sex pistols.

Guest DustyDeviada

Slightly off topic, but I was in LA recently and accidentally found myself listening to Steve Jones' radio show, "Jonesey's Jukebox". I was a bit let down to hear him playing Status Quo and Thin Lizzy records.

john peel played 'whatever you want' by the quo last week so what does that make him? if jones wants to play quo and lizzy then good luck to him. i remember interviewing nick cash of 999 a few years ago and i asked him if he ever saw any of the old punk musicians and he said he saw steve jones recently and sold him a guitar cos he was down on his luck at the time.....

Guest allsystemsfail
oh no! do I smell the punk rock book of rules ?

And would he have rated both outfits back in day? This I doubt. Jones' outings since the demise of the Pistols have by and large been quite embarrassing. Sure, he worked with The Avengers and Johnny Thunders + The Professionals were for a time pretty cool, but those days are long gone. I gotta say I found his working with Iggy in the 1980s quite amusing. Folks may remember Steve's remarks regarding Iggy Pop on Sex Pistols album Some Product. Not forgetting his refusal to play through middle age like Pete Townshend.

And regarding Steve's link with punk, he ain't done a whole lot since he worked with Kraut in the early 80s.

Guest DustyDeviada

I personally like the Quo and Thin Lizzy, just didn't expect Steve Jones to share that view. I smell radio station executives and a playlist!

Oops, did I just admit to liking the Quo? Can I pretend that it's in an "ironic" way? ;)

And would he have rated both outfits back in day? This I doubt. Jones' outings since the demise of the Pistols have by and large been quite embarrassing. Sure' date=' he worked with The Avengers and Johnny Thunders + The Professionals were for a time pretty cool, but those days are long gone. I gotta say I found his working with Iggy in the 1980s quite amusing. Folks may remember Steve's remarks regarding Iggy Pop on Sex Pistols album Some Product. Not forgetting his refusal to play through middle age like Pete Townshend.

And regarding Steve's link with punk, he ain't done a whole lot since he worked with Kraut in the early 80s.[/quote']

Steve Jones can do and say what the fuck he likes and even change his mind and contradict himself all day long.......it matters not a fuck to me.....for he is Steve Jones!

What is actually annoying are the stupid fucks who hang off every over used interveiw line, every second hand punk slogan, every lyric, every interview and nerdishly re-quote it as some kind of fucking punk bible....even using it against the people who invented the fucking stuff

If you read 'This is Uncool' buy Gary Mullholland you'll find he concurs with my veiw (and explains it very well - unlike me) that Jones was ''the real punk in the Pistols''. Think about it, he fucked everything in sight, including the system, and himself, habitually broke the law, and invented the most adrenalinised guitar style known to man (never bettered)...his controversial outbursts (you dirty fucking rotter) were never planned or contrived like the more articulate Lydon.....he was just offensive to society how he was - without trying too hard......the guy was just like the corruption and chaos of the music he created. He had no phoney political agenda .....just create mayhem. My hero!

Along with a few other originals like Stiv Bators and indeed The Ig, Jones was one the most genuinly inventive and subversive people in alternative rocknroll history (avoids the P word)

Who gives a fuck what he has done since....how could he ever top being the guitarist in the Pistols for Gods sake????

Guest allsystemsfail
Steve Jones can do and say what the fuck he likes and even change his mind and contradict himself all day long.......it matters not a fuck to me.....for he is Steve Jones!

What is actually annoying are the stupid fucks who hang off every over used interveiw line' date=' every second hand punk slogan, every lyric, every interview and nerdishly re-quote it as some kind of fucking punk bible....even using it against the people who invented the fucking stuff

If you read 'This is Uncool' buy Gary Mullholland you'll find he concurs with my veiw (and explains it very well - unlike me) that Jones was ''the real punk in the Pistols''. Think about it, he fucked everything in sight, including the system, and himself, habitually broke the law, and invented the most adrenalinised guitar style known to man (never bettered)...his controversial outbursts (you dirty fucking rotter) were never planned or contrived like the more articulate Lydon.....he was just offensive to society how he was - without trying too hard......the guy was just like the corruption and chaos of the music he created. He had no phoney political agenda .....just create mayhem. My hero!

Along with a few other originals like Stiv Bators and indeed The Ig, Jones was one the most genuinly inventive and subversive people in alternative rocknroll history (avoids the P word)

Who gives a fuck what he has done since....how could he ever top being the guitarist in the Pistols for Gods sake????[/quote']

For he is Steve Jones? Your hero? It may have escaped you, but punk sought to reject such nonsense.

And I'm sorry, but he has indeed sold out. The other Pistols too. Sure, the Sex Pisols were once a force, at the forefront of musical destruction. Now? They're just a buncha tired old men who haven't produced anything worthy of a listen in maybe 20 years. And don't even get me started on the Pistols reunion shows.

And to Steve's behaviour - his involvement in petty theft, his swearing on television... Sure, quite the rock rebel. :rolleyes:

Guest allsystemsfail
QUOTE: Yoda out of Star Wars > '' you must seek out reject the punk nonsense Luke ''

And you can only mock? Punk was a rejection of star worship, the placing performers on pedestals. This was central to what it was - that anyone could do it.

And Steve Jones? He was just a typical bloke - a bit of a Jack the lad. Hardly revolutionary.

yoda is a punk rocker

And you can only mock? Punk was a rejection of star worship' date=' the placing performers on pedestals. This was central to what it was - that anyone could do it.

And Steve Jones? He was just a typical bloke - a bit of a Jack the lad. Hardly revolutionary.[/quote']

A typical bloke who happened to be at the core of the Sex Pistols and co-wrote most of their stuff..... hmmm......yeh, a total fucking conformist obviously with absolutely no grasp of how to kick up a rukkus with a guitar. Over-rated fuck. If only he'd remembered to put on his standard issue CND punks against Thatcher T shirt to make it more obvious......

Guest allsystemsfail
A typical bloke who happened to be at the core of the Sex Pistols and co-wrote most of their stuff..... hmmm......yeh' date=' a total fucking conformist obviously with absolutely no grasp of how to kick up a rukkus with a guitar. Over-rated fuck. If only he'd remembered to put on his standard issue CND punks against Thatcher T shirt to make it more obvious......[/quote']

Don't be ridiculous. I said nothing about politics. For your information, I loved the Pistols - was a Pistols obsessive for several years. Was blown away by them upon my discovery of punk now 25 years ago. Yes, he indeed was a phenomenal musician, but kicking up a rukkus on guitar does not a revolutionary make. Also, Matlock was the creative force of the band. You may remember that he penned Anarchy In The UK. Remember also that after his departure the band wrote just a couple of songs. As I remember, just three - Holidays In The Sun, Satellite, and Belsen Was A Gas.

Don't be ridiculous. I said nothing about politics. For your information' date=' I loved the Pistols - was a Pistols obsessive for several years. Was blown away by them upon my discovery of punk now 25 years ago. Yes, he indeed was a phenomenal musician, but kicking up a rukkus on guitar does not a revolutionary make. Also, Matlock was the creative force of the band. You may remember that he penned Anarchy In The UK. Remember also that after his departure the band wrote just a couple of songs. As I remember, just three - Holidays In The Sun, Satellite, and Belsen Was A Gas.[/quote']

So Jones co-wrote more than Matlock then...anyway daft topic....Matlock is also an under-rated anti hero who as a musician Im basically in awe of (even it that is a non punk sentiment according to the new rules of punk)

so how can any of the pistols not been seen as revolutionaries in their time....the band as a whole was something that shook the establishment like never before and never since.....normal guys just couldnt do that.....its like all the posturing and sloganeering of Strummer against the establishment just made him look like a nice chap, with some common sense and a social concience - a politician .....no threat to anything that the establishment held dear..... but something about the dynamic of the Pistols and their ability to corrupt and influence, had the nations controllers shitting themselves for over a year which is pretty revolutionary for any musician.....it will never happen again thats the only certainty

i think its very unfair to judge steve jones on things he did after the pistols, all these cries of sell out just piss me off, everyone has to live, put food on the table and pay the rent. i'm suprised no-one has criticised me for earning my money playing chart fodder on the radio as opposed to local band demos!

in this business no matter what avenue you pursue you have to take what you can get. sure its important to have principles but one cannot live on principles alone. you know i for one was happy when the pistols got back together, sure it was a little embarrasing but on the other hand they could as a collective put the record straight once and for all and make a fair bit of well-deserved dosh.

i think the pistols have had more influence in the UK than just about any other band, you couldnt have written the script, i mean when you've been involved in something like that before your 21 where the fuck is there to go?