aberdeen-music

Albums with rubbish songs are somehow better: discuss

Guest mmmememe

Guest mmmememe

Hello, I'm quite new here but I have a question....

I have a friend who insists that albums can be too consistent. He reckons that one or two average or rubbish tracks on an album somehow make it more enjoyable overall. If every song is fantastic, then you get used to it and don't appreciate it.

As an example, Dog Man Star is better than Suede's first album because it has a couple of shitty songs somewhere in the middle, whereas the first one has no dodgy tracks.

Personally, I think this is bollocks, but I wondered if anyone else feels the same.

When i listen to an album' date=' i take each track as it comes... i try not to listen to it as a whole. If there are songs on it im not digging it doesnt make the better songs better. That doesnt make too much sense.[/quote']

Shit songs cripple my overall opinion of the album / artist and, more specifically, the better songs. My favourite albums are generally pretty full of greats as opposed to being full of a couple favourite tracks.

I don't consider my myself the biggest Primus fan as most of their albums are full of boring tracks, whereas some of their tracks list in the vague top track list of mine, *jumbled garbled mess of words* i know

sometimes tracks which i think are shit end up being the ones i like best after a year

Good point. When you by an album there are usually 2 or 3 tracks you've heard heaps already and they are usually the better songs. Then you end up hating it and then turning to the tracks you've been skipping all the time.

Guest mmmememe
You just skip the rubbiss tracks though surely?

I suppose all this only applies if you are an album person. I like to listen to albums all the way through - I kind of think of albums as a single piece of work, finely crafted and put together with care (hopefully).

I'm not much of one for compilations and skipping tracks. I even listen to Yellow Submarine on Revolver, even though it is truly cack.

Another annoying thing is the clumsily added "bonus track" which can totally ruin the feel of an album.