aberdeen-music

Dr Who's 50th

jester1470

What did people think, I loved it, i loved the hark back without getting too involved in the history, i loved the cameo's i loved the fact that they had the first Dr mentioning Gallifrey by name - something he had never done, and I loved the interplay between the 3 Drs.

I think the whole BBC thing was pretty amazing - I loved An Adventure in Space and Time, though they glossed over some of Hartnell's less palatable views, and I especially loved Night of the Dr which shows how great Paul McGann could have been.

Also if anyone hasn't watched it the 5ish Dr's on iplayer and red button is well worth a watch :)

I thought it was very good too. I was worried it wouldn't be since I found the last series to be quite poor. I was relieved that Billie Piper wasn't actually playing Rose as that probably would have just been too much to explain in the same episode and the three doctors were great together. Although John Hurt was fantastic I think I would have liked it even more if Christopher Ecclestone had agreed to take part as I think he would essentially have been playing that character. 

Adventure in Time in Space was very well done. Enjoyed it a lot.

Yes, although they could also have got Paul McGann in because up until the John Hurt thing it was generally presumed that McGann was the Dr who took part in the war, so it could have been done. I would have loved to have seen Ecclestone cameoing just for the regeneration if nothing else, then we would have a full set of every Dr to every other Dr.

When Hurt regenerates at the very last second you can just see his face, mainly the eyes, turn into Christopher Eccleston's.

I loved the throw back to the original series at the start, also the tying up of some things from David Tennant's time.

I sat and watched the first 4 episodes on BBC4 after Adventure in Space and Time aired, and it still holds up pretty well now.

There's a good blog about a fan watching all the old series before the reboot/new series, and how his wife reacted here - http://wifeinspace.com/

I bought the Wife in Space for my other half's Christmas so I'll look forward to reading the book. I have been reading the very good and funny http://madnorwegian.com/262/books/  I would recommend it for anyone interested in an episode guide to the 60's episodes. There were some lovely moments, i assume you noticed the school Clara taught at was Coal Hill where Susan went in the first episode and the head of the Board of Governor's was one I.Chesterton, which I loved. They also went past IM Foremans where the Tardis was and where the Dr then fought the daleks in Remembrance of the Daleks.  One of my favourite moments was when Kate Stewart referred to a file that set a precedent of multi Dr's and referred to it as File: Cromer - which referred to the Brig deciding Omega's home planet in the 3 Dr's was the beach at Cromer, and then Kate Stewart said it could be a file from the 70's or the 80's depending on the dating protocol referring to the UNIT dating issue.   http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/UNIT_dating_controversy  Definitiely enough to keep the Who geek in me happy, and enough to entertain everyone,other moments i loved was the 10th Dr denying all knowledge of the phrase timey wimey, and of course the secret cameo's of Sylv, Peter and Colin ;).

Hartnell's less than palatable views?

Hartnell was incredibly racist and homophobic, he tried to get several black actors fired apparently and refused to speak to some of them onset. Contrary to how it was portrayed he wasn't a big fan of either Warris Hussein (who it is implies was heavily involved in all of the first era but only actually directed 2 stories) or Verity Lambert, again on pretty much racist terms, the Indian and the jew. He was not a very nice man, and by all accounts really wasn't capable sadly by the end - very sad, I have a copy of his biography arriving soon I will look forward to seeing what that says.

The Day of the Doctor was ruined for me by the relentless Jim Carrey-style mugging of Smith and Tennant. John Hurt was excellent, Piper looked almost masculine.

Roll on my cousin as the new Doctor - Peter will be excellent :)

I thought they played quite nicely off of each other, but one of the highlights was just the shot of Peter Capald'is eyes and the fact he was there at all - I do believe he has the makings of one of the finest Dr's and he could be a game changer :)

• Upvote 1

I just wish Smith had had better material to work with for the last couple of years of his run. I can only really speak of post reboot Doctor Who but he was definitely the best Doctor of those three. He did the best job of conveying that the doctor is actually an alien and not human. The first series with him as the doctor is my favourite.

My favourite Classic era Dr is the often derided Sylvester McCoy for that exact reason, you're never in any doubt that he's an alien, Tom Baker does that brilliantly too but Sylv edges it for me because he's also incredibly manipulative, it's all about the long game for him, he will set events in motion centuries earlier to come to fruition when it suits him, he also thought nothing of getting Davros to  destroy Skaro whilst mocking him about Rice pudding. They were trying to add some mystery back to the Dr in that era: http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Cartmel_Masterplan