aberdeen-music

Doube bass pedals.

Guest Scorge Spike

I know loads of people have the Iron Cobras, but I don't really like them. If money wasn't a consideration I'd have to go for DW. For a budget, there's the new Big Dog ones in Prosound that look really good for the price.

I still use my trusty old Pearl P880TW that I've used for donkeys. I'm just so used to them now, they're so comfy.

Guest Scorge Spike

I was in Prosound last week, but did not notice that pedal. If I had the money though, I'd probably concur with DW. I agree about Iron Cobra - the actual kick drum has no power, ironic given the Tama bass drum has far too much (hence part of my dislike for Tama, sooo imbalanced).

I was in Prosound last week' date=' but did not notice that pedal. If I had the money though, I'd probably concur with DW. I agree about Iron Cobra - the actual kick drum has [i']no power, ironic given the Tama bass drum has far too much (hence part of my dislike for Tama, sooo imbalanced).

Exactly my problem with the Iron Cobras. The beaters just seem too light so they don't 'fight back' enough for me, and it feels like you have to 'push' them due to lack of momentum, or something (hard to explain, really) Hard to miss the Big Dog pedals, they're bright blue...

Mapex janus pedals are the shit' date=' only wish i could afford one.

[/quote']

Not sure what the pedals are like to play, but the sliding hi-hat/bass pedal is a really neat bit of kit.

Exactly my problem with the Iron Cobras. The beaters just seem too light so they don't 'fight back' enough for me' date=' and it feels like you have to 'push' them due to lack of momentum, or something (hard to explain, really).[/quote']

Excuse my ignorance (how often can you say that to a group of drummers and mean it) but isn't that tension adjustment thingummy for that reason?

I play Gibralter Avenger double bass pedal.. quality is ok but universal joints on the crossbar seem to have alot of play in them which can irritate...

If anyone is interested I have a Mapex JNS980 double bass pedal/hi hat system for sale It is complete and boxed. I used it twice so its pretty much brand new....... cost me 350 will sell 250ono..... just PM if you're interested ;)

Really nice action on it for sure but I like to set my bass pedal to the left of my hi-hat coz I play funny.....

the mapex pedal has 3 way beaters too(plastic,wood and felt), its even got balance weights on the beaters for goodness sake..... :up:

I don't see what difference decreasing the tension on the pedals will do if the beaters are flatter than Kate Moss' minge - all you'd do is increase the bpm' date=' surely?[/quote']

I only mentioned adjustment with no reference to more/less tension.

Surely putting a different beater on would change the feel? Wouldn't it?

No drummer in town is getting any drums miked until you lot cough up some secrets.

atm my pedal does none of the work for me regardless of how i set it up using different tensions, total bottom of the range mapex thing, complete crap, its like running a race rather than playing drums. I do find however that beater closer to the drum does increase speed, obviously reducing the overall sound tho... good mic'in could fix the sound tho.

bingo.gif

Ha, drummer humour just keeps getting better.

I was talking about the "feel" from the drummers view. I'm very aware that a different beater will change the "feel" of the kick drum. Pain in the ass if you've got the same kick drum but three different beaters in one night.

I'm only asking questions so I can maybe help some people out, if you don't want to answer in a sensible fashion you can sit and listen to crap kick drums for the rest of your life.

Guest Scorge Spike
if you don't want to answer in a sensible fashion you can sit and listen to crap kick drums for the rest of your life.

You've actually encountered a 'sensible' drummer? Good god! 8o

Ha' date=' drummer humour just keeps getting better.

I was talking about the "feel" from the drummers view. I'm very aware that a different beater will change the "feel" of the kick drum. Pain in the ass if you've got the same kick drum but three different beaters in one night.

I'm only asking questions so I can maybe help some people out, if you don't want to answer in a sensible fashion you can sit and listen to crap kick drums for the rest of your life.[/quote']

Well, because, as you kindly pointed out, I will be performing in Drummonds with my band Suvara on Sunday 26th September, at the Bizathon gig, doors 2pm I will try to explain. Even though I don't really understand the question, obviously...

There are a few factors involved in the feel of a kick drum, for example

The smoothness of the action, ie the quality of the chain drive, the amount of play in the linkages etc

The tension of the springs

The size and weight of the beaters.

The beater heads on the Iron Cobras are usually small, almost like discs, with very little weight-

tama_iron_cobra_double.jpg

so don't carry much momentum themselves. The tension on the springs therefore plays quite a large part in the response. Personally I find this to be like driving in a nail with a toffee hammer, but hitting it really hard. I prefer a heftier beater head -

dw_5002ad_double_pedal.jpg

that 'fights back' like a large ball-pein swinging at the nail, Basically it feels more like hitting the skin than pushing into it.

As regards the sound, I would imagine these factors would only be relevant as far as how hard the kick drum is actually being struck, which probably varies more due to the player's style anyway. More relevant to the tone would be the material of the beater head, being felt, plastic or whatever.

This is possibly just all bollocks, but I tried. I did say it was hard to explain. This is my opinion only, with respect to my playing style. I'm not really into fast double kicking, blast beats or whatever, maybe they are ideal for that, I don't know.

There are a few factors involved in the feel of a kick drum' date=' for example

The smoothness of the action, ie the quality of the chain drive, the amount of play in the linkages etc

The tension of the springs

The size and weight of the beaters.

The beater heads on the Iron Cobras are usually small, almost like discs, with very little weight-

so don't carry much momentum themselves. The tension on the springs therefore plays quite a large part in the response. Personally I find this to be like driving in a nail with a toffee hammer, but hitting it really hard. I prefer a heftier beater head -

that 'fights back' like a large ball-pein swinging at the nail, Basically it feels more like hitting the skin than pushing into it.

As regards the sound, I would imagine these factors would only be relevant as far as how hard the kick drum is actually being struck, which probably varies more due to the player's style anyway. More relevant to the tone would be the material of the beater head, being felt, plastic or whatever.

This is possibly just all bollocks, but I tried. I did say it was hard to explain. This is my opinion only, with respect to my playing style. I'm not really into fast double kicking, blast beats or whatever, maybe they are ideal for that, I don't know.[/quote']

Does the shapes of the thingummy that the drive chain (or whatever) is attached to alter the feel of it? I've noticed some are more elliptical than others.

From your point of view then, an Iron cobra would need a heavier beater and probably some tension adjustment before you'd be comfortable with it?

The type of beater plays a big part in the tone.

Does the shapes of the thingummy that the drive chain (or whatever) is attached to alter the feel of it? I've noticed some are more elliptical than others.

Can't say I've really noticed tbh. Wouldn't think so though.

From your point of view then' date=' an Iron cobra would need a heavier beater and probably some tension adjustment before you'd be comfortable with it?

The type of beater plays a big part in the tone.[/quote']

Yes, exactly. I'm not really fussy enough to go to that amount of trouble though. My 'style' is certainly not that technical. More like 'flail wildly hoping to hit something or other vaguely in time'. Precision is not really my thing.

I don't like the kick drum too clicky though. Felt beaters for me. Defined, but rounded preferably. I used to know a guy who used a wooden beater, and a click pad. Click was certainly the word, sounded rotten to me.

Any other questions, just ask. I will expect a full rundown on how to work the mixing desk when I'm next in. Can't be hard... :p

Can't say I've really noticed tbh. Wouldn't think so though.

Yes' date=' exactly. I'm not really fussy enough to go to that amount of trouble though. My 'style' is certainly not that technical. More like 'flail wildly hoping to hit something or other vaguely in time'. Precision is not really my thing.

I don't like the kick drum too clicky though. Felt beaters for me. Defined, but rounded preferably. I used to know a guy who used a wooden beater, and a click pad. Click was certainly the word, sounded rotten to me.

Any other questions, just ask. I will expect a full rundown on how to work the mixing desk when I'm next in. Can't be hard... :p[/quote']

I'm with you on the click, I like a little for definition but not the full-blown click-fest.

I'm surprised you haven't figured out that mixing desks are just empty boxes with faders and dials on them, which we move occasionally to make the boss think we're actually working.