aberdeen-music

Tube Vs Solid State/hybrid (Opinion)

meiklejohn

at a festival  a few years ago,  the headline act guitarist let me use his matchless DC30..  Blew away everything i'd ever played before. Completely different level.

I'm a valve man personally, but there are plenty of good solid state amps that sound great.  most fender solid states are decent, the Roland Cubes, JC range, and the old sessionette amps are all very good and perfectly giggable.   

tried a blackstar ID amp couple of weeks ago, sounded very good to me.      for the bang for buck they look very good.

guess what I'm saying is that you're best having a look around, and playing lots of different amps.

• Upvote 1

As has been said it's all down to personal preference.  From my expericence it's a "shite" valve amp will always sound better than a "shite" solid state amp but it's also down to how well you know how to use the amp. i.e. how to get the right tone out of it for the right scenario.

For example in a local rehearsal room there is often the pick of a Marshall JCM900 combo and a Marshall Valvestate half stack.  If I plug in to the JCM900 I know I have to roll off the treble and keep the mids at about 12 o'clock and add a little more bass.  If I use the valvestate and apply the same tone setting the amp sounds dull an lifeless but if I apply 2/3's treble, 3/4mids and roll off the bass a bit I get a nice tone to cutting into the mix.  Both amps are equally usable but if the building was on fire and I could only rescue one amp I'd go with the 900.

As mentioned Roland and Session amps make great solid state amps.  Tech 21 also do a good one, I'll be taking mine to the grave.

I asked a similar question on here ages ago and ended up getting a Peavey Classic 30. It's great. Good value, solid, nice tone and EASILY loud enough to play small-medium venues. I've had it a couple of years and it's never given me any grief. Thanks, aberdeen-music.