aberdeen-music

Input Jack Problem

meiklejohn

Not sure if this is the right part of the forum for this but I have a zoom mrs8, 8 track recorder that's recently started playing up.

I realised there was next to no volume when I was playing back and thought I had a dodgy jack so I messed about with it a bit and realised if I pulled the jack half out it works... I tried taking it to bits but its pretty complicated to get to the jack bit. Any ideas where I could get it fixed or any ideas what it could be?

Guest davetherave

Not sure if this is the right part of the forum for this but I have a zoom mrs8, 8 track recorder that's recently started playing up.

I realised there was next to no volume when I was playing back and thought I had a dodgy jack so I messed about with it a bit and realised if I pulled the jack half out it works... I tried taking it to bits but its pretty complicated to get to the jack bit. Any ideas where I could get it fixed or any ideas what it could be?

Its possibly a dry or cracked solder joint on the circuit board, if you can get to the jack lugs on the board a simple reheating with the soldering iron usually fixes it.

Guest Young Adolesent

Hahaha market street go in the front door walk straight ahead 3rd on the left if you dont know where market street is its the one directly scross fron m&s its on the corner of topshop

Edited by Young Adolesent

LOL he is the repair man, 

after this statement

Iimusic settle are done by either Jamie or Will.
I've taken 2 guitars to them. My american stray came back worse than it went in. However my sigma acoustic came back brilliantly.

So I guess it's down to who does it and if there having a bad day.

Rnb are the most arrogant backstabbing bunch of guys I've ever dealt with music wise. I took a strat there years ago that had a presided pickguard but I needed the jack tip resoldered could have done it myself but didn't have the time. Well it took them 2 days and they charged me 25 quid. I paid less for the wired pickguard.

Overall I'd recommend Graeme over at lonelier guitar studios in bucksburn. He charges 30 for a setup but he is the bomb. I've had fretleveling and warped necks sorted by him and can't recommend him highly enough
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Guest Young Adolesent

Could ii fix it too? I've got Liam on Facebook I've gave him a shout

i was with him at the time haha. I think it would be a bit complex for ii music but i know a guy who might be able to fix it ill ask him tonight when im round

i was with him at the time haha. I think it would be a bit complex for ii music but i know a guy who might be able to fix it ill ask him tonight when im round

Bear in mind this isn't a guitar problem - you need an electronics guy to look at this. Not sure anyone at ii, r&b or classaxe will he able to help. If pulling the jack half out works then there's obviously signal getting through. Contact cleaner is where i'd start...

Edited by colb

Guest Young Adolesent

I know but liams worked with a lot of different gear knows his way around stuff might not be the perfect fit bit its worth a try

• 2 weeks later...

Does it sound fucked through both the amp and headphones? If you're using headphones that have a inline volume control there's a good chance you'll get the symptoms you're describing. Actually it'll sound like crap through the guitar amp regardless.

I've had to fix a fair few jack/psu connector's and its usually caused by drunk fools getting caught up in cables lying on the deck. Which then in turn yanks the unit causing damage. The last Zoom fx pedal I fixed the track had been pulled up off the PCB and snapped. Zoom sure do know quality. 

If you strip the unit down as far as you can and then take that to someone who has a decent set of screw drivers and a way with a soldering iron you should be safe. I'd have a go but after looking at pics of it on google I dont want to attempt it incase I break it - which would no doubt compromise our friendship.

Look at all the sliders, its even got a turny wheel thing!

Oh and I spy RCA connectors on the back, you can use them.