aberdeen-music

Live Recording

Flash@TMB

We have installed a Sydec Soundscape 24 track digital mixer. Thus we have the facility to simultaneously record the raw digital output from 24 individual channels on the mixing desk. This will include rear facing stereo-pair crowd mics.

The benefit of recording the raw digital output is that we can later revisit the recording and apply all the EQ, gate, compressor, and effects settings from scratch. Therefore in the event that we fail to get everything 100% perfect during the 10 minute soundcheck, we can still deliver a top quality live recording afterwards.

The recorder is racked alongside the desk, and will be available for every gig. It will also be possible to record bands on Sunday nights at the jam session.

Sydec Sounscape is the product that MTA uses at Sawmills Studios in Cornwall. He recommended it for this application, and will be available to work on the finished recordings, as will Mark Nichol of Exile Studio, although obviously they'd both require payment.

The recorder isn't live yet, we're still waiting on the interface card for the desk to arrive. I think we'll be good to go by October.

They could be mixed at home on Nuendo or another Vst Type program, but would first have to be exported form Soundscape into 24Bit wav format. The results form Soundscape would be the best due to the quality of the EQ's, plug in FX and editing power of the system. You could mix to 2 tracks but you are then limmited to what alterations you can do (or possible overdubs) to the final mix..

They could be mixed at home on Nuendo or another Vst Type program' date=' but would first have to be exported form Soundscape into 24Bit wav format. The results form Soundscape would be the best due to the quality of the EQ's, plug in FX and editing power of the system. You could mix to 2 tracks but you are then limmited to what alterations you can do (or possible overdubs) to the final mix..[/quote']

I take it it's easy to convert the files.

The reason I was asking about 2-track from the mix is because that's all the majority of people want, a CD or MD of the gig they can play when they get home. A bunch of files which have to be converted, loaded into the program and then mixed before you can listen to the performance won't seem that cool to most people.

I take it it's easy to convert the files.

The reason I was asking about 2-track from the mix is because that's all the majority of people want' date=' a CD or MD of the gig they can play when they get home. A bunch of files which have to be converted, loaded into the program and then mixed before you can listen to the performance won't seem that cool to most people.[/quote']

If a band only wants to hear what the gig sounded like then they should bring along a minidisc recorder... Last year we did some stereo recording to minidisc with a C1000 pair at 110 degrees to each other (like ears), the results were pretty good, once we got the hang of it.

The intention with the Sydec is to go much further and actually produce proper live EPs and albums. Sydec Soundscape is a serious bit of kit, not just another PC based recording tool.

I'll produce a basic stereo mix of any gigs where I feel the performance merits a hard copy. If the band like what they hear, then they can hire one of the Marks to remix it properly.

sounds very fucking super to me like

even our bands live-in-the-practice-room-2-track-recordings sometimes shite all over a lot of our, erm 'produced' tunes, so I reckon its a really good way to capture some total rocknroll moments

post gig tarting up with vst shit is a doddle, as is file tranfer and totally worthwhile if you want something better than the usual ''band playing in a giant fucking dustbin'' live ep sound

:up::up::up:

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm....sounding good.....you can go back and do takes on your vocals, over dub 4 more guitar tracks, C&P the speedy up slowy down drummers kick and snare, re-record the bass with a big valve preamp, mix in some of the crowd noise from Queen live at wembley......possibilities are endless!! ;)

If you're looking for any beta testers to the rig....give us a shout :D we're patient...honest

Hmm....sounding good.....you can go back and do takes on your vocals' date=' C&P the speedy up slowy down drummers kick and snare, re-record the bass with a big valve preamp

[/quote']

All of this would be possible if that pesky sound just stuck to it's own microphone and didn't bleed all over everyone elses.

Anyway, after all that, would you still be comfortable calling it live?