aberdeen-music

Drummonds tonight (well, last night now): a wee review

HummerOfIntenseEvil

I'd love to go to one of his concerts and shout to him to play Summer Of 69' date=' but I believe it's been done before...[/quote']

I'd like to go to one of his concerts because...

ryan_adams.jpg

*dribbles*

60249861001_05.jpg

*drools*

1001_ryan_adams_a.jpg

*eyes glaze in admiration*

and erm... well the music is good too :D

Jesus' date=' woman....get a grip of yourself!

On second thoughts, don't....you've made a big enough puddle just by drooling![/quote']

I've had no *real* human contact today.... I havent left my flat.... my flatmates are on holiday and nobody's visited me.

I have Ryan though... *looks crazed*

No no.... My mum lives in a house in the country along with the rest of my family... I've visiting them tomorrow night actually.

She talks to the dogs though and claims they understand her better than I do.

I should add that she's mad.... MAD.

Guest The Reverend Z. Munch
Komodo 3000 (I think that's the name): Good stuff. Second last song was very Happy Mondays-esque. Maybe it was even a cover' date=' I dunno cos I only have the one Happy Mondays album and I don't listen to it much. In fact I only really bought it for Wrote For luck. Oh back to the song, sorry. It was good anyway. As were the rest of the songs. A few tasty riffs in there and some nice postuering by the singer. Dunno what the fuck he was saying inbetween songs, but a bit of banter is always a good thing. Another band added to my rapidly increasing list of decent Aberdeen bands.

Bench: Last time I saw them was at a battle of the bands at 'Dus when they were a three piece. Wasn't particularly impressed by them then. They have gotten worse. The ridiculous amount of feedback throughout the gig didn't help, but I'm calling the RSPCA about those cats that were strangled onstage. 15-year-old's angsty lyrics (those that I actually heard) coupled with "I wish I was Matt Bellamy, but unfortunately for you I'm not" type wailing. Me and my mates counted maybe 3 songs in a 45(?) minute set. Whether or not it was just that they all morphed into one big noisey mess is unclear. I was giving them the benefit of the doubt, but I was outvoted 2 to 1. Whatever it was, they were pish songs. And what was with the bow? Again, maybe this was due to the feedback, but it didn't seem to be making any fucking noise, or at least none worth making. Anyway, Jimmy Page looks cool using it for Dazed And Confused; anyone else just looks like a prat.

Remember folks: just cos you're mad at your dad, it's no reason to take it out on the audience's ears.

Little Kicks: This was the best Little Kicks gig I've been to yet. Shame about strings breaking on TWO guitars (the second one was nicely dealt with by Stefan Henchoz at the end), but the sound levels were spot on, which to be (un?)fair is a rarity at a Little Kicks gig! Good to actually hear what Toby was playing for once (eeet's worth it wah wah WOO wah), and the drums and bass are sounding better nowadays (dunno if that's due to the new arrivals or if I'm usually just too pissed to notice). The new songs are great, the last one inparticular being a bit of a (T). "On the whole a very good effort, seven on ten. Let's make love" (Partridge, series 2 episode 5).

I'm deducting a point for the lack of Manics or Clash covers, and also so it would fit in with the Partridge quote.[/quote']

I would hardly call that a scathing or excoriating review of any kind. If anything it sounds more like mutual masturbation than a review.

But you do at least achieve some level of accuracy in your comments about Bench, the lack of conviviality in their performances is obviously meant to add to their feedback-driven mystique, or maybe just to arouse their own musical attempts at mutual masturbation with their own obviously tortured souls, which in turn make them musically tumescent enough to aurally rape everyone else's ears with their dreary feedback.

So in conclusion, yeah, they just sound like a bunch of arty wankers.

Guest The Reverend Z. Munch

Another thing about Bench, does that Tim guy get dressed by his mum before every gig?

He always seems to look as bad as a mannequin from a C&A shop window.

I am assuming thats where all his middle class existential angst comes from.

Guest Sundaram
1) Philip' date=' I know who Birdman is.... and to be honest he's a super chap anytime I've spoken to him... however in the post he looked like a prick.... so I said he was being a prick. Ta-da.

2) *points to profile at side of page* ;)

3) Ryan Adams is good.... and hot *storms away to weap into beret*

:D[/quote']

Edited: Apologies *tips hat* I didnt read who the post was by :O

Hmmmm, interesting!

Howdy, i'm in bench and have kinda been taking a back seat and having a giggle looking at all this stuff, personally i'm not all that bothered about people slagging us off as i can easily understand why alot of people wouldn't be into our stuff. However, i think i can say with some confidence that none of us are particularly pissed off with our dads, i'm really rather fond of mine and tim's sounds like a bit of a legend! Although i have to say i'm not too sure where all this feedback stuff is coming from, ii personally can't notice it when on stage, apart from at the end of the set which is usually intentional!

Howdy' date=' i'm in bench and have kinda been taking a back seat and having a giggle looking at all this stuff, personally i'm not all that bothered about people slagging us off as i can easily understand why alot of people wouldn't be into our stuff. However, i think i can say with some confidence that none of us are particularly pissed off with our dads, i'm really rather fond of mine and tim's sounds like a bit of a legend! Although i have to say i'm not too sure where all this feedback stuff is coming from, ii personally can't notice it when on stage, apart from at the end of the set which is usually intentional![/quote']

"Mad at your dad" is just an expression me and my mates use, derived from the Adam Sandler film Big Daddy ("You're mad at your dad, not at me, I forgive you"). Just an attempt at humour on my part.

And if it wasn't feedback I heard, then your instruments make a terrible noise. Perhaps if I could hear what you were actually playing I wouldn't have been so critical.

All criticism is intended to be constructive.

RIghto, although i fail to see how the barrage of straight-out insults posted earlier can been be seen as constructive, notice how i have refrained from launching into a heavy-handed reposte to previous remarks as i don't see how it can be constructive at all (despite having perfectly reasonable grounds to do so).

RIghto' date=' although i fail to see how the barrage of straight-out insults posted earlier can been be seen as constructive, notice how i have refrained from launching into a heavy-handed reposte to previous remarks as i don't see how it can be constructive at all (despite having perfectly reasonable grounds to do so).[/quote']

okay, I'll tell you how it can be constructive:

Bench: Last time I saw them was at a battle of the bands at 'Dus when they were a three piece. Wasn't particularly impressed by them then. They have gotten worse.

The ridiculous amount of feedback throughout the gig didn't help' date=' but I'm calling the RSPCA about those cats that were strangled onstage.[/quote']

Summary: you need to sort out your sound levels and feedback problems. This could have been gig-specific though, but having seen you twice before, I'm not convinced.

15-year-old's angsty lyrics (those that I actually heard) coupled with "I wish I was Matt Bellamy' date=' but unfortunately for you I'm not" type wailing.[/quote']

Summary: your lyrics are pish, and your singer needs to rethink his aspirations for Muse-type vocals. Write better lyrics.

Me and my mates counted maybe 3 songs in a 45(?) minute set. Whether or not it was just that they all morphed into one big noisey mess is unclear. I was giving them the benefit of the doubt' date=' but I was outvoted 2 to 1. Whatever it was, they were pish songs.[/quote']

Summary: your songs are too long and boring, and sound like one big noise. A bad one at that. Write better songs.

And what was with the bow? Again' date=' maybe this was due to the feedback, but it didn't seem to be making any fucking noise, or at least none worth making. Anyway, Jimmy Page looks cool using it for Dazed And Confused; anyone else just looks like a prat.[/quote']

Summary: lose the bow. It's not big and it's not clever. It didn't enhace your songs at all, it just made you look like pretentious musos.

There you go, constructive criticism. I could have said "Ye're shite, retire!" but I didn't. I took the time to write out WHY I thought you were bad, because I would like to see a few more Aberdeen bands actually playing some decent music. And the fact is, you lot seem like you're probably good musicians, but just your songs are pish.

And no, hating the fact I dislike your music is not grounds for a barrage of abuse. That's called sour grapes. Good on you for holding back anyway though, since your bassist's mate wasn't able to. After all, why have a feedback forum if it's going to be just backslapping? If you are going to make it in the music world, you have to be able to take criticism on the chin. It is impossible for everyone to like someone's music.

okay' date=' I'll tell you how it can be constructive:

Summary: you need to sort out your sound levels and feedback problems. This could have been gig-specific though, but having seen you twice before, I'm not convinced.

Summary: your lyrics are pish, and your singer needs to rethink his aspirations for Muse-type vocals. Write better lyrics.

Summary: your songs are too long and boring, and sound like one big noise. A bad one at that. Write better songs.

Summary: lose the bow. It's not big and it's not clever. It didn't enhace your songs at all, it just made you look like pretentious musos.

There you go, constructive criticism. I could have said "Ye're shite, retire!" but I didn't. I took the time to write out WHY I thought you were bad, because I would like to see a few more Aberdeen bands actually playing some decent music. And the fact is, you lot seem like you're probably good musicians, but just your songs are pish.

And no, hating the fact I dislike your music is not grounds for a barrage of abuse. That's called sour grapes. Good on you for holding back anyway though, since your bassist's mate wasn't able to. After all, why have a feedback forum if it's going to be just backslapping? If you are going to make it in the music world, you have to be able to take criticism on the chin. It is impossible for everyone to like someone's music.[/quote']

You didnt strictly say Yer shite Retire but looking from it as a third person, after you are demanding them to rewrite their songs so that they suit you, is probably the shittest thing I've ever heard from a loser before. Seriously I'd love to have a laugh at your music collection because I know its terrible already. Bench, who I've seen a few times, are one of the few bands that are, what it seems, into creating music to actually challenge peoples music tastes, which is an art that seems to be completely lost in this snivelling, snobbish, disgracefully bad music scene we apparently have in Aberdeen. Its not about backslapping on this website but if your going to start off your thread with a pretty furious and scathing review but claim to be making an opinion, then why did you attack it at the end?

What do you mean by decent music? Your username suggests your an absolute prick and no doubt are, so what would you like to see happening in Aberdeen.

If your into metal of most catagories then I'll know why your such a cunt.

I'd love to go to one of his concerts and shout to him to play Summer Of 69' date=' but I believe it's been done before...[/quote']

Yes it does happen, ALL THE TIME, having seen Mr Adams in the flesh a number of times. It makes me want to laser the culprits faces' off with Mace Windu's lightsaber, so I can only begin to imagine what it makes Ryan Adams feel like. That said, his real first name is David, so he's kinda asking for it.

:rolleyes:

You didnt strictly say Yer shite Retire but looking from it as a third person' date=' after you are demanding them to rewrite their songs so that they suit you, is probably the shittest thing I've ever heard from a loser before.[/quote']

Where do Bench fans learn their English? Out of all my mates (and we have differing music tastes) who have seen Bench, not ONE of us has thought anything they've done is good. I'm not demanding they write songs to suit me, I'm just telling them to write songs that aren't so bloody terrible. If any one of my mates had said "This song isn't so bad", then fair enough. But to be honest, the only good words I've heard about Bench are from you and the other uber-fan, and your arguments are hardly the most convincing. They need better songs. End of story.

Seriously I'd love to have a laugh at your music collection because I know its terrible already.

Says the Bench fan...

Bench' date=' who I've seen a few times,[/quote']

Presumably "a few times" means every gig you can get to.

are one of the few bands that are' date=' what it seems, into creating music to actually challenge peoples music tastes, which is an art that seems to be completely lost in this snivelling, snobbish, disgracefully bad music scene we apparently have in Aberdeen.[/quote']

Challenge music tastes? The only way they challange my music tastes is in the same way Cove Rangers might challenge Arsenal.

Its not about backslapping on this website but if your going to start off your thread with a pretty furious and scathing review but claim to be making an opinion' date=' then why did you attack it at the end?[/quote']

Do you have a problem with the concept of a "negative opinion"?

What do you mean by decent music? Your username suggests your an absolute prick and no doubt are' date=' so what would you like to see happening in Aberdeen.[/quote']

Actually, my username suggests I'm a Manic Street Preachers fan, since it is a (bad) pun on the song Intense Humming Of Evil. I'm assuming that last line there was a question, even though you didn't use Mr ?... what I would like to see in Aberdeen is bands making good music and preferably making decent social commentary. Bench do neither.

If your into metal of most catagories then I'll know why your such a cunt.

You wouldn't happen to be suggesting that everyone in the world who likes metal is a cunt are you?

You Bench fans are making me actually hate the band, rather than just think they're shite.

To be fair though, just because you and you're friends don't like what we do, it doesn't mean you can just write us of as been shit. More people seem to like us than dislike us so we can't be that terrible. The two gigs you saw were not very good ones. I'm not expecting people to not comment on the bad ones, but ever band has of nights and it just so happens you saw us on two of them.

To be fair though' date=' just because you and you're friends don't like what we do, it doesn't mean you can just write us of as been shit. More people seem to like us than dislike us so we can't be that terrible. The two gigs you saw were not very good ones. I'm not expecting people to not comment on the bad ones, but ever band has of nights and it just so happens you saw us on two of them.[/quote']

This is true, however in the whole of this ridiculously ballooned thread, only two people have spoken up for you, and both were being idiots about it. And I never said what the other gig was (actually I saw an acoustic set from your singer once too, and I wasn't fond of it either), so how you can determine that I've only ever seen you at bad gigs is beyond me... perhaps all your gigs are bad? (joke)

Maybe there are more folk who like Bench than those who don't. All I know is that everyone I've ever spoken to about you says you're rubbish. But then I don't know everyone in Aberdeen. Anyway you seem to be able to take criticism so you're not all bad.

And soundian, you're spot on, even if I have contributed to it. I didn't even intend this to end up as an attack on Bench. I was just airing my opinions on a few bands I'd seen that night. Folk need to get a grip and accept that not everyone likes the same bands they do.

And I never said what the other gig was (actually I saw an acoustic set from your singer once too' date=' and I wasn't fond of it either), so how you can determine that I've only ever seen you at bad gigs is beyond me... perhaps all your gigs are bad? (joke).[/quote']

You said in you're review you saw us at Exudus as a 3 piece and there was the gig you reviewed. Unless you have seen us other times as well.

Maybe there are more folk who like Bench than those who don't. All I know is that everyone I've ever spoken to about you says you're rubbish. But then I don't know everyone in Aberdeen. Anyway you seem to be able to take criticism so you're not all bad.

And soundian' date=' you're spot on, even if I have contributed to it. I didn't even intend this to end up as an attack on Bench. I was just airing my opinions on a few bands I'd seen that night. Folk need to get a grip and accept that not everyone likes the same bands they do.[/quote']

I think your opinions might've been taken more seriously if you'd concentrated more on the constructive criticism part and less on the making cheap jokes.

Anyway, it's a learning process and it's nice to see some negative honesty on here.

"If you don't have anything good to say about a band then don't say anything".

Yea, right hippy kids, that's why most bands suck, cos people don't tell them they do.

Oooh, more negative honesty. Can these boards handle it?

You said in you're review you saw us at Exudus as a 3 piece and there was the gig you reviewed. Unless you have seen us other times as well.