aberdeen-music

hitchhikers guide to the galaxy trilogy of five

framheim

Guest The Reverend Z. Munch
I'm guessing that it's an American financed movie' date=' but what is wrong with a British cast? Martin Freeman? Who the hell thought it would be a good idea to cast him as Arthur Dent? Hollywood has consistantly shown how it can take a successful British idea and ruin it. My expectations aren't good.[/quote']

Douglas Adams, when he was alive, kept pushing Hollywood's execs to cast Hugh Laurie as Arthur Dent, i think if Laurie was asked, he'd at least be known to American audiences because of his involvement in the Stuart Little films but i don't mind Martin Freeman so much, they could've easily have casted some American.

Ben Stiller as Arthur Dent with the likes of Will Ferrell playing Ford Prefect and Chevy Chase playing Zaphod or something equally as horrifying.

There is a big hard back book with tthe first three books in it, explains how all the radio serires, books and TV serires came together.

The film will be shit, everyone is expecting to much, it'll be built up too much and it'll ruin it for everyone.

I enjoyed the first book the most, but its been a while since I read the last couple.

Win win win boxed sets

i have only ever read the books as a whole, as i have the big hardbacked collection of them all, which i am currently reading right now (for about the fifth time)

but i prefer the first parts of it, it does get a bit odd and silly at the end

having said that, the end is still some of the greatest books ever...

i love his style of writing though, and all the little irrelevant but amusing parts in the story, that do little to the actual story, but add to the universe he has created and make the books that little bit cooler

the dirk gently novels also rock rather a lot, they all start off with some utterly irrelevant parts (like the very start of the first book, with the castle) and gradually evolve into some form of sense, though the first book still dosent completely make sense...

you can get the radio shows on cassette in town, waterstones have them if i am not mistaken (they did last time i checked anyway)

i have a quote by him as my signature on all the forums i visit (which has since disspaeared here)

so long and thanks for all the fish

David

• 4 weeks later...

i've been reading them since I was about 9 or 10. i know them so well I can't even tell the different books apart anymore. Have to say 'So long and thanks for all the fish' was a bit disappointing, but liked the idea of Arthur and Fenchurch flying above london.

Who was everyone's favourite character though? I always liked Ford

you know that they're currently redoing Life the universe and everything on the bbc radio?

I catch it on the saved files. I think it's actually on Radio 4 on Thurs at 11pm. i THINK. So i did laughing to it in college whle everyone around me thinks im nuts.

how i adore Douglas Adams

you know that they're currently redoing Life the universe and everything on the bbc radio?

I catch it on the saved files. I think it's actually on Radio 4 on Thurs at 11pm. i THINK. So i did laughing to it in college whle everyone around me thinks im nuts.

how i adore Douglas Adams

That's the repeat I think, Tuesdays at 6.30 on R4.

I haven't heard it yet cos the first episode was on the same day as the man who got me into it's funeral, but he did leave me the radio episodes on tape of the first two books.

p.s. I think they're doing So Long etc, and Mostly Harmless, I don't know if it's this run. think I heard it was next year.