aberdeen-music

Nba

waltz

Doing fantasy NBA this year. Took part in a proper draft and everything.

Got Kyrie, Garnett, Dwill, Chandler, Tayshaun Prince (a panic pick), Gasol, Nene, Kahwai Leonard and a bunch of filler

Not sure about having a Spurs players in my team, or picking players from any team with a really good manager for that matter, because they always stick to their roles rather than having standout performances. We'll see though. Had to get a couple of homers in there of course.

The Rockets are obviously the interesting team to watch this year. I hope they don't do a Lakers and I don't think they will. You just can't ignore Dwight Howard. If he's happy, he plays like a beast and Harden is always great. I like the optimism of the Pelicans having a good year - Davis has indeed looked handy in pre-season and if Jrue Holiday is all he's cracked up to be, they could be good to watch.

• 2 weeks later...

Knicks off to a slow start. They've looked pretty bad and losing Chandler is as big a blow as they come. He's their rock. JR coming back is good news but he's been typical JR, taking unnecessary risks and lobbing up bricked 3 point attempts when he's clearly rusty.

Half my fantasy team is injured so I've had to resort to picking up 3rds string scraps. Doing not too bad because i'm focussing on the less glamorous stats like TOs and FG%. I get outscored in points by about 100 every week so far though.

Slow start for the Nets too. They'll take time to gel, Dwill still on the mend so i'm not getting to carried away at the moment. Got floor seats for Portland @ Nets on monday. The best tickets I've had at Barclay's yet. Can't explain how psyched I am for that. I've always been in the nosebleeds and looked longingly at the privileged people in the dance-cam catchment area.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

you're not missing much this season. Bobcats, Raptors and Pelicans have become decent teams and LeBron and Durant are duking it out for MVP. Melo has been awesome too.

After a rough start the Nets have settled in pretty nicely. Kirielenko has arguably been our best player. He's such an upgrade to Reggie Evans. I'm glad he got shipped out. As much as I love him, he's a one-trick pony (rebounds). AK47 does that and so much more. I've been surprised by Mason Plumlee actually. He looked utter shit in his first few games but he's become a solid bench player. Only bad performer so far has been Kevin Garnett. He just doesn't do much.

• 3 weeks later...

Every time I see that gif in any form I sit and watch it for a few minutes straight.

Some really great games this past week/wknd. Lakers spanking OKC, Harden's buzzer beater to tie the Houston v Portland game, Nets taking the Raptors to the wire last night, Chicago beating Miami. Some crazy stats being put up recently too - Westbrook's triple double in like 24 mins, Griffin shooting 11/12 FG last night. The East is looking pretty healthy all of a sudden too. The playoffs this year could be the most exciting in years.

I think the only gif I've enjoyed as much from the NBA was the Lebron block on the Spurs last year.

EDIT: Found it.

lebron-james-blocks-dunk.gif

Also really?  I saw an image on /r/NBA earlier that showed the teams winning between East/West and West had 6 teams up near the top and the East had 2 as usual.  A different 2 this year but still just 2.

Edited by Captain America

The number of teams above 500 in the east might be slightly flattering but still, teams like washington, charlotte and toronto are no joke this year. The west is still way stronger but comoared to kast year its much more wide open.

Nets v heat last night was fucking ace. Played at playoff pace. Nets matched them all the way. Mirza teletovic may be the most accurate shooter in the league when he heats up. If his minutes stay high I have high hopes for him this year.

• 4 weeks later...

Back on point about the East still being weak.  The 3-8 teams in the East wouldn't even be in the playoff seeds in the West.

Brooklyn have swept the Heat in the regular season though so that could be an upset if they meet in playoffs.  Playoffs is Lebron time though so it's a different kettle of fish.

I'm most pleased for Toronto of the unusual playoff teams.  They always get a tough rap and have done well to build what they have.

It was a bit of a nothing game really but the sweep is still impressive. The Heat seemed to have checked out a bit of late and Indiana's decline (which is pretty spectacular) is easing the pressure even more. That said, The Nets have shown time and again this season how deep their roster is which, at this stage of the season, is a great sign. Never in a million years did I think that Marcus Thornton and Shaun Livingston would be consistent performers. Plums is rookie-white-guy-of-the-year material too. He looked lolbad in his first few games but he's evolved into a monster at both ends and now provides ample backup to Blatche (who's been phenomenal), KG (who needs to chill till the playoffs) and Lopez (who's croaked).

If they weren't a thorn in the Nets' side, I'd say well played Toronto. On their day, the starting line-up is up there with the best of them at the moment. I worry about their longevity over 7 games though and don't expect much out of them in the playoffs.

Bobcats for the championship! Al Jefferson MVP!

Joakim Noah put up another triple-double last night. I knew he was good, but when he has to carry a team like he is with the Bulls right now... Some guy.

On current form he's the best center in the league no question. Looks like it'll be Nets v Bulls in the playoffs again too... that's gonna be another classic series.

My Bobcats done good last night grabbing the 6th seed spot. Probably the biggest game in their history to get Toronto instead of the Heat in the first round. They'll fancy their chances.

Not sure about that. Noah has to do more for his team but there is a monster in Houston now putting up some series numbers on both ends of the floor.

18.5ppg, over 12 rebounds, 60% from the field and almost 2 blocks a game.

Howard really does shine when out of the spotlight that was put on him in LA.

Defensive player of the year candidate for me.

• 2 weeks later...

So Noah wins DPOTY. Well deserved.

In other news... PLAYOFFS!!

Indiana's implosion is the biggest story so far. They just look like half the team they once were this season. Really strange. 

Hard to take anything from game 1 but i'm now more confident about the Nets - Paul Pierce and KG looked like they were stepping it up a notch. I'd love it if they just took control of this series with some old wise man shit. Pierce dropping 8 straight points in the 4th when it was getting close was like a dad giving his son a few freebie lay ups before reminding him who's boss with a Mutumbo swat.

The fact that so many experts said the Bulls would beat the Wizards is hilarious.

The Bulls are not a good team.  They have been surviving their way through this season on the back of Noah, grafting players and emotion.  Eventually that runs out.  The Wizards are young and from a team starved of success.

The Bulls need Rose to get healthy or the mediocrity will continue for years to come and Noah will leave.  The contract that Boozer has been on is a joke.  If anyone in the NBA thinks Boozer was worth $75 million over 5 years they are mental.

Edited by Captain America