aberdeen-music

Nba

waltz

Conley and Randolph are likely to be underrated the whole season. I'm not sure they'll last the distance but who knows.

Any love for Toronto? If they can get going again, and build on last year, could be exciting times up there again.

Anthony Davis MVP? He's been a monster so far.

I'm hoping for my fantasy teams sake (and for the league) that Andrew Wiggins can live up to his potential this year. Started slow but last game against the Nets he looked handy.

In Nets news, DWill looks back to pre-nets form, KG looks actually arsed, Brook Lopez is back and Bojan Bogdanovich looks like a fantastic acquisition... could be a good season for us. Decent playoff run I think.

Conley and Randolph are likely to be underrated the whole season. I'm not sure they'll last the distance but who knows.

Any love for Toronto? If they can get going again, and build on last year, could be exciting times up there again.

Anthony Davis MVP? He's been a monster so far.

I'm hoping for my fantasy teams sake (and for the league) that Andrew Wiggins can live up to his potential this year. Started slow but last game against the Nets he looked handy.

In Nets news, DWill looks back to pre-nets form, KG looks actually arsed, Brook Lopez is back and Bojan Bogdanovich looks like a fantastic acquisition... could be a good season for us. Decent playoff run I think.

Gasol is in a contract year, he will be the carry on that team.  He looks about a stone lighter, beast mode.

Nah, prob 3/4 seed.  Won't make conference finals.

Not sure on Davis, eventually all the team USA summers will wear him down and I don't think Pelicans have enough around him.  No mid tier team wins MVP.

Wiggins will be a beast if he continues to develop but he's a two year project minimum.  Twolves get another high draft pick this year and look stronger next year.  Wolves came out of the Love trade way better, especially as Lebron in Cleveland officially is only for two years.  If they don't win at least 1 ring he wont stay.  Where as Wolves got possibly two young studs.

Nets are in with Toronto I think, good team (especially in the East) but can't win the conference.

I think Dallas could have a pretty good season this year.  Dirk staying there for cheap shows how much he loves the franchise and I think they rally with him.

I think that Cousins is the anchor of that Kings team, but yeah, they've looked excellent. Pretty interesting that the Lakers and Clippers are probably the worst two teams in California at the moment. Angry Kobe is going to be great entertainment this season.

My Magic have been pretty fun. We're not going to win a lot of games, but the young core is excellent. Elfrid Payton's shooting is wonky, but his playmaking and decision-making abilities are excellent for such a young guy, and Aaron Gordon has shown flashes of genuine brilliance despite being the youngest player in the league. Then there's Vucevic, Harris, Fournier... the future looks good.

I'm really enjoying the Warriors at the moment. Great team basketball: the polar opposite of what's going on in Cleveland at the moment. Curry and Thompson might be the best backcourt in the NBA, and involving Andrew Bogut in more offensive plays really helps open the floor for the guards. 

If Bogut can stay healthy is the key for them.  I don't think he's made it through a whole season in like 5 years, he can be a beast when he's healthy.

Cousins is a monster, he's just a great player.  I'm not on the Rudy Gay bandwagon, he's a good player but when they gave him a max contract I was like WAT.  It's weird he is a career 20 point, 5 rebound guy but I dunno, he just never seems to consistently take over games and out right win them.  If the team is already doing well, he does well from what I can see.

Rudy Gay just feels like a mini Melo to me. He's obviously a good player and a great shooter, but he doesn't seem to do much to make his team-mates better. A great shooter and not much else, but definitely an asset. I say this as he's coming off a 23-10 game, but whatevs.

I think OKC will be absolutely fine. The current period is all about damage limitation, and it sounds like they did a fine job against a very good Kings side last night. Losing both KD and Westbrook is absolutely horrendous, and they won't win many games without them, but the likes of Jackson, Ibaka and Jones are good players who, if they step-up, can stop the rot. They'll make it to the playoffs, IMO, and will be immediate title contenders when their superstars are back. Can you imagine drawing a fully fit, 8th-seed OKC in the first round of the playoffs? Horrible. 

I love Reggie Jackson. Complete baller. I haven't looked at Westbrook's timeline but he can't be out too long. I don't think they'd win the championship even if fully fit (too prone to getting into 115-116 slug fests with no defence that just doesn't work against the likes of the Spurs.) but they'll be fine come playoff time no doubt. If anything it'll be good development time for the backups.

Pleased with the Nets again. Mirza Teletovic getting solid minutes makes me happy, not just for fantasy stats, I just think he has the potential to be one of those devastating 3-point shooters a la Kyle Korver and he hasn't quite been able to show it yet. He also chips in with rebounds. He also seems like a really nice guy. I'm a big fan.

Magic/Nets game was pretty bland. I thought we were going to eek out a result thanks to Vucevic's monster performance, but he was completely shut down in the 4th quarter thanks to KG's defence (smart move from Brooklyn's coach, as Lopez was getting ethered by Vuc) and Vaughn's decision to stop running plays through him, which was odd to say the least. Still, we'll be alright. It'll be another long season, but the foundations are in-place, and the interchangeable veteran plodders won't be around for long anyway.

Big game for LeBron last night capped with a triple double. They'll be fine as soon as LBJ and Blatt can convince Irving and Waiters that they need to embrace less-selfish roles going forward. They have big defensive issues, but they'll get it together offensively soon enough. 

• 1 month later...

Done deal. Rondo + Dwight Powell to the Mavs for Brandan Wright, Jae Crowder, Jameer Nelson and a handful of draft picks. Time to hand Marcus Smart the keys in Boston. Rondo was never going to stick around in the summer, so it was smart to at least get *something* for him, and Smart has an outside shot at "Rookie of the Year" with Jabari on the shelf. Wright and Crowder are serviceable players with expiring contracts, and Nelson will be a great mentor for Smart.

Honestly, I'm a little gutted for Nelson, as I thought he had a great chance of getting a ring in Dallas. That Mavs team is scarrrrry now though. Rondo feeding Ellis, Dirk, Chandler and Parsons is just unfair. These guys have played exciting, winning basketball with a cluster of mediocre point guards this season, so I'm excited to see what they can do with the most selfless point guard in the NBA in their line-up.

I don't think he's ever been underrated... he won the defensive player of the year a few years ago.

I'm not 100% sold on the idea that Rondo is the big coup he's being made out to be. There's a tendency to overrate very 'traditional' players, particularly at the PG position and his reputation as a difficult personality is a risk. Still, Mavs have filled gaps that needed filling (assisted shots, 3pt shooting, PG position overall). He's defnittely a defensive upgrade to harris and/or Nelson. Rondo is a playoff demon so i'm sure it'll work out in the relative short term, i've just never been overly enamored by him as a player. His assist stat line can't be fuxed wit tho I know - he just looks like he can't be assed a lot of the time.

He was roundly applauded for his efforts at the Knicks - particularly in the local media at least. Got on the all star team a couple of times too. Has he ever been the best big man in the league though? Top 10 probably.  He's a fantastic defender and can finish at the rim but to me he doesn't come close to the multi-faceted play of the other top centers in the league right now - not that he needs to on the Dallas team I suppose. I watched A LOT of knicks games the year before he broke his leg and as great as he was, he was no Pau Gasol, Dwight Howard, Bosh, Cousins and co.

Have only seen maybe 2 full Mavs games this year - one of them the pointless sixers blow out - so his stats aside, haven't seen what he's doing right now.

• 1 month later...

Super Bowl Sunday and all but wondered if people are keeping up with this season.

How good was Wiggins going toe to toe with Lebron. I hope he stays with Minnesota beyond his rookie contract they deserve a player to build around.

Can't help but feel after seeing that, Cleveland have mortgaged the future for 2 years with Lebron. It really has to be championship or bust this year.

Cleveland have improved immensely with the pieces they've added. Shumpert gives the perimeter defence they were sorely missing, Mozgov is a capable defensive big man, and Smith, though streaky, at least gives them a scoring threat beyond the arc. I still think they're a bit lacking in interior defence, though, and LeBron has looked strangely lethargic on D this season. I'm not sure if he's trying to prove a point to his team-mates or what, but it's weird. My money's still on the Warriors for the title, though the Hawks have been great. If D-Wade drops-out of the All-Star game, I'd love to see Korver get the slot: he's having an unprecedented season.

How wild is this Hassan Whiteside guy though? Plucked right-out of the D-league and scooped a triple-double with zero assists the other night.

The Magic appear to finally be pulling the trigger on Jacque Vaughn too. I'm pleased with this: nice guy, but regularly perplexing in his decision-making, to the point where it's costing us wins. We have a very talented young team and it's vital that we replace him with a development-minded coach.

• 3 weeks later...

I know that they lost last night, but how good is the Thunder's bench now? They lost Reggie, but that was inevitable -- he clearly wants to run his own team, and Detroit is a great fit for him. Kanter is a great option on offense and a nice rotation piece with Stone Cold Steve Adams, DJ Augustin is the definition of "perfect back-up PG" and he won't complain about not getting minutes, Waiters is totally overpowered against the second units he's playing against...

If KD can stay healthy, they're going to be a real problem in the playoffs. I wouldn't bet against them upsetting the Warriors...