aberdeen-music

Sexism, etc.

Elizabeth

You're right, definitely depends on the person. Also, as I'm sure it was on TV they no doubt put emphasis on things that didn't need it. It was just up to that point I thought asexuals had no sexual urges.

I think it was highlighting more how difficult it was to find an asexual partner and how hard it was for others to understand.

It's something I've read about on LGBT blogs. Many of them identify as 'queer' because they consider themselves outside the usual sexual spectrum, some just as asexual. It's crazy the amount of prejudice that goes on among LGBT people towards asexuals, pansexuals, transgender and genderqueer identifying people. Hell, when I was in first year of uni I went along to Ab-Fab and there were people saying terrible things about bisexuals which was just bizarre to me.

As much as I rail against the prejudice shown towards LGBTQA (adding queer and asexual) people by homophobes there is a lot of 'internal' prejudice that tends to be overlooked.

Why can't we all just get along?

So pansexual equates to 'All of the above' and genderqueer is 'None of the above', basically?

xx

Eh, to me genderqueer is a little complex to boil down to basics because it can be a very fluid thing.

Pansexuality is, to my mind, a simpler term which basically means the person is attracted not only to men and women but also people who identify as neither, a ftm or mtf transexual - basically, anyone of any gender/sexual identity.

This reminds me of trying to get our first album into HMV, we wanted to go into the rock category, or maybe metal, the record company wanted to put us in Folk, and we ended up in world, indie, or local or something. And no fucker knew where it was.

As I see it, it seems to be a human trait to need to define ourselves into a particular category, and then complain when others do the same. Doing this according to what someone chooses to do with their rude bits just seems even more ridiculous

No idea what my views define me as, but I hope it's something cool.

Which opens up a very interesting point.

If gender/sexuality is as fluid as certain theorists/academics/people generally believe it is then why the need to label ourselves according to gender or sexual identity?

- It's useful/essential in terms of discussion and debate.

- As radical as some people like to think of themselves I suppose there is a level of comfort in being able to label yourself and thereby attach yourself to a group.

- Is it hypocritical or not to say that you believe in gender/sexual fluidity and then say that you yourself identify as genderqueer?

I don't really know. I suppose at the end of the day the ideal thing would be to just consider everyone as an individual but I know full well that this is impractical and never likely to happen. I do like a good interesting discussion to distract me from modern/postmodern poetry!

I think the high-level classification is a handy way to cull lost causes quickly, especially when dating.

For example, I am a male who is exclusively interested in sexual relationships with women - so I can write off anyone who has a penis or is a lesbian.

I think the high-level label is useful but only to that extent. Even a group as comparatively bland as 'heterosexual' can be sub divided into a seemingly endless list of sub-categories, BDSM (dom and/or sub), foot fetishist, scat fetishist, straight man who enjoys women bumming him with toys... it could go on and on - but gay/straight/bi/trans/pan/queer is a handy starting point...

xx

It's crazy the amount of prejudice that goes on among LGBT people towards asexuals, pansexuals, transgender and genderqueer identifying people.

But there's prejudice from homosexuals towards bisexuals as well, especially this idea that bisexuals are simply people who haven't come to terms with being homosexual.

Shit, I thought I'd mentioned something about prejudice from homosexuals towards bisexuals in my post. If I didn't I meant to. Did I not include an example about my experience at Ab Fab? One of the boys was horrible about a girl there who was openly bisexual. He made the remarks behind her back but they were overheard by her. He later apologised but I'm not sure he would have if she hadn't heard them.

Shit, I thought I'd mentioned something about prejudice from homosexuals towards bisexuals in my post. If I didn't I meant to. Did I not include an example about my experience at Ab Fab? One of the boys was horrible about a girl there who was openly bisexual. He made the remarks behind her back but they were overheard by her. He later apologised but I'm not sure he would have if she hadn't heard them.

Think you did in the other thread...

Nope, it was this thread, although it wasn't as prominent as I thought it was: "Hell, when I was in first year of uni I went along to Ab-Fab and there were people saying terrible things about bisexuals which was just bizarre to me."

Stroopy - there can be, which just beggars belief, but I guess in any group of people when someone does something outside of a social 'norm' whether it's a heterosexual or homosexual 'norm' then there are going to be people who react unfavourably. I guess.

Stroopy - there can be, which just beggars belief, but I guess in any group of people when someone does something outside of a social 'norm' whether it's a heterosexual or homosexual 'norm' then there are going to be people who react unfavourably. I guess.

That's just sad..

I'd have thought that the homosexual community would be sticking together, but it's entirely possible that with homosexuality becoming so socially acceptable that's its just back to the way it was before with the 'normal' people making fun of the 'freaks' - only the definition of 'normal' is a little borader.

xx

I'd have thought that the homosexual community would be sticking together

Sexual orientation seems a pretty flimsy reason for sticking together, tbh. Doubt a well-to-do millionaire's gonna feel common cause with a junkie on the dole, regardless of sexual orientation...

That's why identity politics is a dead end, it's too narrow a focus.

That's pretty much why I stopped going to Ab-Fab. Once I got over the 'oh my gosh other gays!' novelty I realised I had little in common with any of them.

Case in point - my 2nd year of University I applied for the Unite King Street Exchange flats. I got three other flatmates. Two lesbians, two gay men. How it happened we don't know as none of us put anything about sexual orientation on the application (why would you?) so we can only presume it was chance. I fucking hated them. Stereotypical students out til all hours making as much noise as they liked without any consideration for other flatmates (i.e. - me) who may have been trying to sleep since they were the only one holding down a job while at uni. They left dishes piled in the sink for days and days, took over the kitchen when they cooked and dragged wheelie bins into the flat 'for a laugh'. What a bunch of utter cunts. I'm sure I've ranted about them in the Pet Hates thread before. They'd forever try to get me to go out with them on 'Big Gay Nights Out'. Sorry, not interested.

I've lost my point in the midst of my rage...yeah, like Jake said, sexual orientation is a flimsy excuse to stick together, but at the same time isn't an excuse for the gradations of homophobia and transphobia that are perpetrated by people who are gay/bisexual.

Earlier I posted a comment about me sleeping with a lesbian but I thought that people might misunderstand what I was saying. (And so I deleted it) I don't want there to be this issue of me undermining individual sexuality. I certainly don't want to undermine lesbians. The point is that sex is complex and cannot be easily pigeon-holed. And yes, my girl was adamantly lesbian, not bisexual. I used to enjoy the sex with her but it was a lot different.

I hope people understand this and don't think I'm undermining lesbianism. I come back to this idea that when you try to fit people into a pre-conceived mould of how they should behave you end up in trouble. A lesbian can wish for cock and still remain a lesbian.

Sexuality is perceptual and not simply action based.

• Upvote 1