aberdeen-music

Radiohead - The King of Limbs

Paranoid Android

People I was working with at Worthy FM were all bed wettingly excited when Radiohead were announced and every one came back disappointed.

Festivals are just not a place to be too self-indulgent. Most don't give two hoots about 'King Of Limbs'.

• Upvote 1

Well they weren't headliners or playing on one of the main stages. They played a "surprise" short set on a small stage. And if people don't care about The King of Limbs then they probably don't care about any of their work from the last 12 years so they shouldn't really bother getting excited.

Well they weren't headliners or playing on one of the main stages. They played a "surprise" short set on a small stage. And if people don't care about The King of Limbs then they probably don't care about any of their work from the last 12 years so they shouldn't really bother getting excited.

Most people don't care about the band's work since 'OK Computer' much as that fact will pain you it's true. It wasn't a 'short set' but a full hour that had been set aside for them as 'surprise guests'. By Friday afternoon everyone knew it was them. It was a festival for crying out loud, yet again Radiohead go down that old road of ridiculous self-indulgence. But hey defend them cos they're Radiohead!

• Upvote 1

Whether these "most people" care about their post okc work or not is irrelevant. If you don't like the majority of a band's output don't expect to go to a gig and get a set you like. I don't really understand how anything about their set is self indulgent.

An hour set is less than half the stage time they played in 97 or 2003. By playing a set on the park stage it was obvious that they hadn't prepared a standard festival greatest hits set. And yes news of their appearance was public knowledge early in the day and anyone who was searching online for info was also able to find out what the set list was hours before.

I'd really like to believe that most people at Glastonbury didn't spend a significant amount of time checking twitter on their iphone / blackberry but sadly I can't. (ok I do accept that the setlist being out there argument is a bit silly)

But still why anyone would expect to see a set made up of material from their earliest few albums just baffles me. The pulp comparison is a bit off too. Pulp had spent years in active and are in the middle of a reunion tour playing solely old material. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying Radiohead's performance was great. I've watched the videos at times it was pretty bad. I just don't accept that playing material from their latest albums is in anyway self-indulgent or that this performance should be looked on in the same way as a headlining slot on the main stage.

Once Radiohead were announced the people who trekked over to The Park to see them expected a set of songs they knew. Not most of 'King Of Limbs' and a couple of old songs. At Glastonbury The Park Stage is a serious trek especially with the mud. At a festival most folk won't know or give a shit about 'King Of Limbs'. It's not their best work by a long shot (ok my opinion here but I seem to be in the majority on this one in the general scheme of things!).

What are Radiohead up to at the moment? Are they touring 'King Of Limbs'? Or was Glasto a one off performance? In any case they buggered up by playing most of an album a festival crowd really didn't a toss about!

Once Radiohead were announced the people who trekked over to The Park to see them expected a set of songs they knew. Not most of 'King Of Limbs' and a couple of old songs. At Glastonbury The Park Stage is a serious trek especially with the mud. At a festival most folk won't know or give a shit about 'King Of Limbs'. It's not their best work by a long shot (ok my opinion here but I seem to be in the majority on this one in the general scheme of things!).

What are Radiohead up to at the moment? Are they touring 'King Of Limbs'? Or was Glasto a one off performance? In any case they buggered up by playing most of an album a festival crowd really didn't a toss about!

They played 14 songs and 6 of them were from TKOL, 2 unreleased tracks from the same recording period and 6 older tracks. It seems like a perfectly normal balance for a band with a new album out. Again if people aren't interested in their latest material they surely have to accept that by going to a gig they risk seeing songs they don't like.It seems like common sense. If I liked less than a bands output I probably wouldn't bother going to see them.

As for your opinion on the album, well as you say it's just your opinion, it's still their latest work the album obviously going to be focused on at gigs. Personally I'd rate it as their 4th best after Kid A, Ok Computer and Amnesiac.

Their only recent public activity has been the Glasto performance and the From The Basement broadcast. Jay Electronica said the other day that he was playing a gig with them in August. But he also said that David Bowie sang on his album and Bowie has just come out to say it's not true.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...