aberdeen-music

Foxhunting at Musa

Graham Knight

For the second night in a row I have gone back to work after attending a packed show at Musa.

I only had time to see the opening act - Foxhunting - a solo artist who is a member of the Aberdeen Music Group. He has recently been making very sensisble comments on this forum so I decided to check him out.

I missed his first gig supporting the Malpaso Gang but he should be well pleased with reception he got for his second ever gig tonight.

Although he is not yet old enough to buy a drink in Musa, Foxhunting really pleased the packed out crowd with a 25 minute, six number set of his own compositions.

He confessed to being nervous before he started but his first song was warmly applauded and the volume of applause rose and rose with each song.

Mr Fox may be young but he has a strong voice that enounciates his complex lyrics clearly and he makes a big sound with his guitar.

At the end of his rousing set he had members of the audience keen to shake his hand and congratulate him on a very successful second ever gig.

He seems to have the music and lyrics down pat but he needs to work on some linking material to tell the audience about each number.

Well done Foxhunting.

• Upvote 1

Guest Tam o' Shantie

i briefly met someone tonight who had been at the gig to see Withered Hand and she was full of praise for Foxhunting. at this rate I might have to make some effort to listen to him.

I'm honestly thrilled to pieces with that set, and the crowd were just fantastic (both atmosphere and friendliness). Don't know if I spoke to you, Graham, but I must have shook hands with at least a dozen people, and I reckon my cheeks'll be red for a good few weeks yet. :p

Unfortunately you missed out not seeing Woodpigeon and Withered Hand; both were utterly terrific. A few unexpected pyrotechnics and some jokes made it even better. Lovely blokes, too.

About the linkage - you're spot on, I'm trying to avoid jabbering but at the same time put names to my stuff. Harder than it sounds... :p

Foxhunting was great. Lots of potential there with a couple of really good songs and a great voice.

Woodpigeon and WIthered Hand were utterly superb.

I really liked the room as well. A bit of a strange layout but it could make for some very special gigs.

Be aware I am almost certainly going to be the most nervous person you have ever met. Ask offramp, Bigsby or Chris.

Au contraire, performance wise I thought you came across as most assured. As noted the between song banter maybe needs some work but that's an issue for many a seasoned professional and doesn't really matter as long as the music is good, which in your case it is. :up:

I can answer that one, as I will be covering the gig on Thursday in the paper. Also on are...

Joanne Summer

Crooked Little Vein

The Half Mad Grooves

His Name Is Codeine

Seems like it's going to be quite a varied gig, looking forward to it :)

Yep, that's right, Joanne, then Foxhunting (me!), then Crooked, then Codeine, then Half Mad, as far as I know.

Well done on the gig mr. Fox. Nerves soon go and drunkeness takes over!! I'll be in touch with demo.

Haha! Thanks muchly :)

Au contraire, performance wise I thought you came across as most assured. As noted the between song banter maybe needs some work but that's an issue for many a seasoned professional and doesn't really matter as long as the music is good, which in your case it is. :up:

Thank you kindly Bigsby sir. I was sort of trying to keep it relatively sparse in terms of 'banter' the other night because I rely on it too much when nervous (and usually end up making a tit of myself).

I also need a haircut. :)

Yeah the performance is fine, lots of movement onstage which is good to see instead of just standing still like a statue because you're nervous. You seemed quite comfortable on the stage. Don't worry too much about the banter thing, some people never get good at it and if you force it you might end up talking nonsense.

Had the pleasure of catching a certain Mr Fox on Friday night, and I have to say I was suitably impressed. Great songs, brilliant stage presence (coped well with the drunk guys screaming through your set), and I don't think I have ever seen someone rock the acoustic guitar so hard!

Considering this was only your third gig Fox, I reckon in a year or so you'll be a force to be reckoned with here in Aberdeen :)

• Upvote 2

Had the pleasure of catching a certain Mr Fox on Friday night, and I have to say I was suitably impressed. Great songs, brilliant stage presence (coped well with the drunk guys screaming through your set), and I don't think I have ever seen someone rock the acoustic guitar so hard!

Considering this was only your third gig Fox, I reckon in a year or so you'll be a force to be reckoned with here in Aberdeen :)

Thanks for the kind words!! :)