aberdeen-music

New window recommendation?

James Broonbreed

Got Thistle Windows to do mine when I lived in town. No complaints at all with their service or the quality of the work.

Bon Accord Glass also quoted for the work but spent more time badmouthing Thistle (with some very dodgy lies about their work) than actually persuading me they could do a good job themselves.

Yup, I figured there would be a fair amount of badmouthing involved.

I had Thistle round on Friday but the quote was higher than I was expecting and they needed planning permission from the council which apparently costs 150ish and takes 4-5 months.

I've got 5 other companies coming round on Wednesday including Bon Accord, so it'll be interesting to see if it was just one representative who was a cock or if it's the company as a whole.

Yup, I figured there would be a fair amount of badmouthing involved.

I had Thistle round on Friday but the quote was higher than I was expecting and they needed planning permission from the council which apparently costs 150ish and takes 4-5 months.

I've got 5 other companies coming round on Wednesday including Bon Accord, so it'll be interesting to see if it was just one representative who was a cock or if it's the company as a whole.

Well if they say that Thistle's work isn't kite marked or that they're due to be on Watchdog in a few months then it's the same slanderous lies they were dishing out a couple of years ago.

I had to do the planning permission thing. You could do the work without it and chances are no-one would notice but for the sake of 150 when you're doing a couple of grand's worth of work you might as well. Useful to have everything official when you come to sell the flat too.

Got my windows done a couple of years back.... the service etc was spot on.

Think it was Everest.

They keep calling me every week and asking if I need new windows though. Despite me telling them to take me off their cold calling list.

Useless fuckers.

I've read a shit tonne of bad reviews of Everest online. Anyone else had a good/bad experience with them?

Cr Smith were round today and the guy was basically a total douche. He showed me a photo out of the blue of one of Thistles crap windows and said another company on my list were dodgy bastards.

Don't think I'll bother getting them for a while now anyway because I can't get tilt and turn since I'm in a conservation area and sash windows are at least a grand more than tilt and turn in my case.

At least I have windows in the meantime.

Roll on new kitchen instead!

Don't think I'll bother getting them for a while now anyway because I can't get tilt and turn since I'm in a conservation area and sash windows are at least a grand more than tilt and turn in my case.

I think you can get tilt and turn windows that look like sash windows, that's what I had fitted in my old flat. Passed planning permission so must have been ok.

Cool, I'd rather not fork out the 160 and then be told I can't however.

I reckon I'll just put it on hold until the start of next winter. By the time the planning permission comes through, my windows will be open practically all them time so no need for them just now.

Cheers for the info though Chris, and thanks to everyone who made crap jokes about radio adverts and mid food cold calling.

Double glazing.... Done.

• 4 years later...