aberdeen-music

Chuck Berry collapses on stage

Graham Knight

There have already been some erroneous reports on TV about this - this is what actually happened.

Chuck had appeared on stage in Chicago and was obviously unwell during his set but he kept on performing a set that at times confused the backing band.

He stopped playing guitar and played a few notes on the piano but then slumped onto the keyboard. He then stood up and tried to play his guitar again but as this clip shows he became very disorientated and the venue's management stopped the show and and he was helped from the stage.

Paramedics checked his blood pressure and heart but he refused to go to hospital.

After about 15 minutes he came back on stage and siad that he felt he was back to being 10 years old when he slumped over the piano, he said he now felt like he was 65 but the management were refusing to give him back his guitar. He apologised to fans and said he would be back and do another New Year show next year.

This clip shows him attempting to "duckwalk" off the stage.

Chuck is 84 - the previous night he had done two shows at BB King's Club in New York - this show was in Chicago.

Chuck has "overshot the runway" a few times in the past but this is as big a scare as there has ever been.

Chuck is now home in Wentzville, St Louis.

This is a clip of Chuck playing 51 years ago

YouTube - Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Goode (Live 1958)

Let's hope he's OK. As I'm sure you know Graham, even the great JLL admitted Chuck was the King of Rock and Roll in the excellent Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You are right. I always smile when I watch this Chuck versus Keith clip - with Chuck telling Keith to "Leave the amp as I set it. That's my amp and I'm setting it the way I want.....

YouTube - Chuck Berry vs Keith Richards! -Hilarious

You are right. I always smile when I watch this Chuck versus Keith clip - with Chuck telling Keith to "Leave the amp as I set it. That's my amp and I'm setting it the way I want.....

YouTube - Chuck Berry vs Keith Richards! -Hilarious

Oh yeah, and that bit where he sidles up to Keith during the first song and says they're going to change key mid song, Keith just shakes his head and says "no". Great film, haven't seen it for years.