aberdeen-music

Loop pedals for acoustic guitar

FOX

Guest idol_wild

Digitech Jamman is my pedal of choice. Really versatile, with huge looping capacity in terms of both storage in the memory card, and real-time looping. You could loop a ten minute phrase for hours on end and the quality of output would not deteriorate, unlike some other mainstream loop pedals.

My experience of the Boss RC-20XL is also very positive, though I find the output quality of the loop can deteriorate after a watershed period of around 7/8 minutes. It seems to lose a little bit of the clarity and definition and becomes slightly murky. Still completely passable though, and it is just a small gripe from personal experience. I would still recommend it as an alternative to the Jamman.

Guest idol_wild
I'll have a look. I might have mentioned, it's really for live things (as I don't use my acoustic in an amp for recording) so a loop wouldn't be going longer than probably 6 minutes max.

Thanks for the input though, appreciate it. :)

You still need to watch out for pedals that reduce in output quality as you build up more layers. This is a very common side-effect of looping pedals, unfortunately. The Jamman rarely reduces the output quality, regardless of the number of loops built up. Most of the cheaper or budget pedals will give you limited phrase time (some loopers give you as little as about 12 seconds to work with - which is exceptionally limiting), so watch out for this.

It depends what you want out of it, I guess; how many loops you'd like to layer at any given time, and how long those loops are likely to last.

Guest davetherave

Ditto Idol Wild's post, the Digitech Jamman Solo is the best of the current compact looping pedals. I've also used the Boss RC-2, a decent live looper, but the digitech has loads more storage space, which is handy for playing pre recorded loops. I've also found the digitech easier to trigger "on the beat", so your loops repeat in time with your playing.

I've had a Headrush, a JamMan and the wee Boss one.....the Headrush is fine, but does very short loops...the JamMan was great for a start, but mine deveoped a level problem (sudden drop of input level mid song), so i've 'retired' it to recording purposes only. The Boss is great for live work, and is the one I now use mostly, althought I've recently returned to the headrush for it's 'extended delay' (a long, loop-like delay which takes minutes to fade away......great for Matricarians' more experimental stuff, instead of building up massive layers it just has slight 'overlaps').

Another plus point about the JamMan is the fact it takes mike and line inputs, and you can vary the level (although, as I said, mine has gone a bit mental). For the other pedals I use a wee mini-mixer to set levels before inputting into the looper, as I change instruments and want to avoid 'popping'.

Yeah I've got the Boss RC20XL too, and I'd recommend it or the JamMan. For the Boss anyway I'd say it's a better to go for the double pedal version (RC20) than the single pedal one (RC2), just because they're easier and more flexible to use, plus you get mic and instrument inputs and they don't cost a great deal more. I'd imagine the same probably goes for the JamMan models.

Line6 and Electro Harmonix both do pricier loopers, but I haven't tried either so can't really pass much comment (although the EHX looks really cool).

Also bear in mind you might end up needing to buy a footswitch for switching between phrases. Boss and Digitech both make ones for this, though you can probably get any pair of non-latching footswitches and they'll do the job (although I'm building my own one).

Another plus point about the JamMan is the fact it takes mike and line inputs, and you can vary the level (although, as I said, mine has gone a bit mental). For the other pedals I use a wee mini-mixer to set levels before inputting into the looper, as I change instruments and want to avoid 'popping'.

What's the mini-mixer you're using Alan? I remember seeing the guy from Love of Everything use a smart wee one, and thinking I could really do with one.

Loopers

Hi

I had the Line 6 looper... JM4 I got it for using with my acoustic... but it turned out to be awful. Its mainly designed for electric guitars I reckon. So you have lots of amp and cab simulations. Its ergonomically badly designed and a pain in the arse to use ... too complex. There was a nearly nice tremelo effect but you couldnt control the depth and speed and mix of that independently ... poor design decisions by the maker... and the manual was PISH.

I had the headrush but wasnt using it for looping so cant really comment.. looks like the boss or the digitech will be my next attempt at using looping... unless TC Electronic bring one out...