aberdeen-music

Computer help!

Afro Droid

I think I've picked up a virus on my machine - it sometimes doesn't boot properly or at all, applications random launch themselves, and it sometimes shuts down by itself. My virus software won't launch, or when it does, won't let me start a scan. Any ideas? I think I'm going to remove and re-install Mcafee - is that a good idea? Help me IT friends, you're my only hope.

boot up in safe mode (tap f8 after turning on)

then run a full scan and do what mcafee says if it finds anything.

other things you can do failing that...

check your startup items (start > run > type 'msconfig' and enter) ...uncheck anything that you don't need or looks dodgy then reboot. (also uninstall anything you don't trust from the control panel/add remove programs)

delete all temp files (start > run > type '%temp%' and enter, ctrl + a then delete)

also, when you boot up without having launched any applications, have a look in task manager > processes to see if there is anything running that you don't recognise. Google them and you might find out exactly how to get rid without doing anything drastic.

I don't really know viruses very well but thats what i'd do. hope it helps.

Definitely get rid of McAfee, it is a pile of shit. Use avast! or AVG (I prefer avast! myself because AVG is a bit of a memory hog):

Download FREE antivirus software - avast! Home Edition

It is also worth googling any processes running in Task Manager that sound dodgy or any that you are unsure about what they are used for. This also gives you a chance to find out more about what is running on your machine so you can decide which programs you don't need anymore and can uninstall to boost up performance.