aberdeen-music

Debutant...

nick_radar

Guest idol_wild
Has anyone who has left Aberdeen for Edinburgh/Glasgow seeking increased likelihood of national media exposure actually achieved it to any real degree? Out of interest. I can't think of anyone.

Does it come across that that's why I am moving? Because it definitely isn't. The reasons are mostly musical, but not focused towards that in any way.

I love Edinburgh and I have also been invited to join a band that I like down there. So it makes sense.

Does it come across that that's why I am moving? Because it definitely isn't. The reasons are mostly musical, but not focused towards that in any way.

I love Edinburgh and I have also been invited to join a band that I like down there. So it makes sense.

No, I worded my post badly, the article intimated that was a possibility rather than you stating that, I wondered if it was a possibility as I'm unaware of bands that have received much more attention than they did up here.

You seem to be getting some exposure despite being based here through your wee tours and stuff, it seems a shame that you are moving as given time you may have helped spark some recognition of more of value up here than Sandi Thom. However I get the impression that folk up here have a sense of impatience that things aren't how they wish.

Guest Gladstone

Debutant = ace :up:

I agree wholeheartedly with what Phil has said here. There's a lot of talent in this city, but everything's just disjointed and poorly supported all round in my opinion. I'm guilty of not going to enough shows, but other things get in the way a lot of the time, but I do lend my support as much as I can and buy a lot of local artists' CDs etc.

But, I think one thing that always sits badly with me is this "competition" that Phil speaks about in the article. Why does everything have to be a fucking competition? The amount of times I've heard from band members, or friends of a band "that headline band are pish, you/we should definitely be headlining."

I'm sorry? What the fuck? On a local band night, why the fuck does it matter who's "headlining"? A Tuesday night at Tunnels or something similar - it really isn't a big deal out of the 4 relatively unknown bands which one plays last. In fact, I prefer not to play last at those types of nights because come the back of 11 there's typically nobody there to play to! Bands should just make the best of whatever gig they are playing, whether it's going on first and there's about 10 people there - just go on stage, play your best and have fun. If there's 10 people there, and 3 like you enough to buy a CD or come back the next time, that's pretty good I'd say. But you can be sure if you go onstage and give miserable chat, and a half-hearted can't be assed effort that all 10 people there will either think you're dicks or will just ignore you.

Anyway - good article Phil, and glad you're getting some of the recognition you deserve, best of luck with your Edinburgh exploits.

:up: