aberdeen-music

More Cubase help?!

dorkusmalorkus

ok this may end up a little long winded so be warned!

in Cubase i have cut a section out of an audio part (a guitar part) and pasted this onto a seperate track underneath it, exaclty in-line so it shouldn't sound like it has been cut as its played. I did this because i want different effects on this wee section (reverb to be exact). However, when i now play this bit, as the cursor moves past the cut and pasted section i hear a mad bleep, or similiar noise, and i don't want to hear that; it's horrid.

Does anyone know anything about this and could you share some advice? I've done these cut and pastey shenanigans before and it's never happened. I might be doubling up that part too so the erroneous and rather aggressive bleep will only get louder and more offensive?

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Davy.

four on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

One possibility is that you've got a little overlap at that point. Zoom in and check it visually if you haven't already done that.

Also, it sounds like you've cut at a place with lots of signal, always try to make your cut points where there's minimum signal.

Of course, you could always automate the reverb to switch on/off when you want it to and not have to bother with all this cut/paste malarkey.

However, when i now play this bit, as the cursor moves past the cut and pasted section i hear a mad bleep, or similiar noise, and i don't want to hear that; it's horrid.

Based on your description I think you have occured the following problem.

When you cut in and out of an audio file. It must not be in the middle of a peak. Try to get it to cut in at something near 0 as as possible. Otherwise you will cause an error which causes this sort of clipping style noise. The alternative is to use some form of fade in but that is probably not necessary.

Also, I would suggest using a single reverb in an effects send as a general starting point. This tends to give the impression that the music is being played in the same room better than it does if you use a few different reverbs. You can automate it using envelopes etc. so you don't need to paste things onto seperate tracks although that still might be simpler in some ways.

Based on your description I think you have occured the following problem.

When you cut in and out of an audio file. It must not be in the middle of a peak. Try to get it to cut in at something near 0 as as possible. Otherwise you will cause an error which causes this sort of clipping style noise. The alternative is to use some form of fade in but that is probably not necessary.

Also, I would suggest using a single reverb in an effects send as a general starting point. This tends to give the impression that the music is being played in the same room better than it does if you use a few different reverbs. You can automate it using envelopes etc. so you don't need to paste things onto seperate tracks although that still might be simpler in some ways.

That's ace. Exactly what I said but with much more words.