aberdeen-music

Turning 13

Biz

Saw them last night at Billy Bundys and Sunday at The Lemon Tree,their drummer is very very good,nice tight band,worth getting excited about,amazing sounds coming out of the guitar at the end,not sure about the Joe Scratchyfanny guitar behind the neck postulations though!.

Guest stuartmaxwell

turning 13 were brutal last night, they were rasping!first time i have seen em with andrew, he is better i reckon!the kit took a right pounding

i dislike the song instrument though, it seems like such an anticlimax when they play it last every time, it doesnt go anywhere and seems just to be chucked together

far more rocking live than on the cd

as for cuts, i enjoyed them and i think they are a good band, but they will not improve unless they get a drummer who brings dynamics to the band, the newer stuff was sounding great, nice use of effects and technique on guitar but it was so constricted by the poor and unimaginative drumming

they have the potential to be one of aberdeens better bands, IF they get a new drummer.

look at turning 13, the drums absolutely smacked you in the chops with a golf shoe, nice and loud, the way they should be in a rock band!

Guest valley69

yeh stu man, u said that last nite about the drums but sometimes simplistic drumming can work? i agree turning 13 were out of this motherfucking planet. oh yes, oh yes.....

as for cuts' date=' i enjoyed them and i think they are a good band, but they will not improve unless they get a drummer who brings dynamics to the band,

they have the potential to be one of aberdeens better bands, IF they get a new drummer.

look at turning 13, the drums absolutely smacked you in the chops with a golf shoe, nice and loud, the way they should be in a rock band![/quote']

totally disagree about the cuts drumming

i thinks it perfect in the context of the dark simmering songs they do and very post-punk sounding....dramatic even

if the cuts were indeed a 'rock' band I would agree but I think they are more than that and slightly more refined than your average 'rock' band

i think avoiding the urge for the drums to rock out often sounds better....less is usually more

the only comment i would make to improve what they do is that they maybe should vary the pace of the set a bit....theres a lot of slow stuff and a couple of faster tunes would balance it :band:

Guest Old Bonsie

Totally agree. We all come from the punk school of music anyway where simplicity is always better. I personally have no real rock ethos anyway and I am sick of hearing boring trad rock (like since when were Jet the future of music) or having proper gutarists coming up to me telling me that I need to know my scales. So I kind of understand if people who are used to hearing 'proper rock' do not understand what we are about (I am not aiming that at anyone on here btw!). Anyway as for faster songs I agree and hopefully next time we play we will have a couple of faster ones.

Totally agree. We all come from the punk school of music anyway where simplicity is always better. I personally have no real rock ethos anyway and I am sick of hearing boring trad rock (like since when were Jet the future of music) or having proper gutarists coming up to me telling me that I need to know my scales. So I kind of understand if people who are used to hearing 'proper rock' do not understand what we are about (I am not aiming that at anyone on here btw!). Anyway as for faster songs I agree and hopefully next time we play we will have a couple of faster ones.

Yus

Bands like Jet are the enemy of the future

Just take every tired cliche and regurgitate it without no attempt to actually express anything remotely original or new

SAFE ROCK MUSIC FOR THE SEMI-DETACHED

Easy money....but shit

And Im quite amused that Im not the only one who gets a hard time from 'proper Guitarists'

Fuck scales and widdly shit

The daft thing is, I can actually do them, but just dont cos they sound so already done

If a song sounds right with 3 chords and a two note fill then thats all it needs

Guest stuartmaxwell
totally disagree about the cuts drumming

i thinks it perfect in the context of the dark simmering songs they do and very post-punk sounding....dramatic even

if the cuts were indeed a 'rock' band I would agree but I think they are more than that and slightly more refined than your average 'rock' band

i think avoiding the urge for the drums to rock out often sounds better....less is usually more

the only comment i would make to improve what they do is that they maybe should vary the pace of the set a bit....theres a lot of slow stuff and a couple of faster tunes would balance it :band:

i do agree with you about less is more etc but i reckon some trancey/hypnotic drumming would be very cool in their sound,

at the end of the day cuts are a rock band, they have elements of pj harvey/stone roses(i heard it last night!)/interpol/joy division-all of which are "rock" bands

cuts are a good band and i enjoy their shows, i was just providing an honest opinion, too many people avoid honesty because they dont want to hurt people/friends feelings, i think its worse when people asay "yeah top notch etc, i liked that er...really cool bass..er bit", because that doesnt help anybody

i agree about jet-they are fucking awful, they deserve bricks with much velocity

i also agree about learning guitar scales, they are boring and traditional

i can play guitar ok, enough to get me by, i prefer to play with tunings and open strings

Guest Old Bonsie

Cheers for being honest anyway. The scene is very pally, which is great of course, but honest opinions are allways appreciated. Just don't tell Lucy about the Stone Roses thing - she hates them and would go mental. God knows why - the Stone Roses are my secret fetish!

agree with everything (espesh the hi velocity bricks) apart from the term 'rock band' for bands like the Cuts

Its a matter of personal definition i suppose

I just wanna hear the Cuts cover 'Love in a Void' by Siouxsie and the Banshees! Not an easy song to do justice to cos its so fantastic, but Lucys got the voice if anyone has

well all i have to say about the drumming matter is that people dont seem to know that i have only played the drums for a short time, and hopefully over the next few months my technique will improve. Also the band doesnt get enough time to practice at the moment and as i was in canada for three months i misst out on alot.

WELL thats all i have to say stu!!!! :moody:

I personally think they simplified drumming is a good thing. It works well for a band like cuts.... who I wouldn't personally lump into the, "rock" catagory. A lot of their influences from what I can hear string from the early 80's (mmmm a glorious time, non?) and I would say that they seem to be progressing down the right track... with time the drumming has progressed (Rhalina hasn't been playing very long *see above post*) and the band seem to be forming a more solid sound as a whole.

In a years time you'll be eating your words, "punx".

Great band.

There's a lot of bands all over the world than can be improved with 'better drumming'. Usually at the end of the day it's not what is actually played, it's how tight and in time the drummer is.

I've only heard what they've recorded, can't say I liked it. But each to their own, don't go giving it up just cos a few people say you suck:) Practice practice practice :up:

Guest Old Bonsie
agree with everything (espesh the hi velocity bricks) apart from the term 'rock band' for bands like the Cuts

Its a matter of personal definition i suppose

I just wanna hear the Cuts cover 'Love in a Void' by Siouxsie and the Banshees! Not an easy song to do justice to cos its so fantastic' date=' but Lucys got the voice if anyone has[/quote']

Love In A Void is OK but if we covered a Banshees song it would be Nicotine Stain from The Scream and if we didn't do that it would probaly be Hybrid or Jigsaw Feeling. Im much more interested in the weirder stuff.

Love In A Void is OK but if we covered a Banshees song it would be Nicotine Stain from The Scream and if we didn't do that it would probaly be Hybrid or Jigsaw Feeling. Im much more interested in the weirder stuff.

anything from the scream would sound good with you lot playing it

ive got a peel session version of Love in a Void that massacres the album version and thats what makes me think it would be a neat live tune so to speak

but all the early banshees stuff is fantastic really.....just a pity they went all goth in the end

i can also kinda visualise a cuts version of some public image tunes funnily enough

but ill stop now, cos youz probably like us and wanna avoid getting sucked into doing covers

ive got a peel session version of Love in a Void that massacres the album version and thats what makes me think it would be a neat live tune so to speak

Yeah the album version is poor, can recall a live performance (either old grey whistle test or something, BBC) where they just rip it up, straight from the intro riff (with a guitar sound so punk as fuck its impossible to emulate!) the guitar sound on the album was weak...

horray for punk guitar tones! :up:

Guest ForbiddenFruitcake

i have a MAJOR thing for turning 13 right now. and that is for the pure and simple reason that they are near faultless (in my opinion anyway). their cd is beautiful, it has all the elements of a fine album, emotion, power, energy and most importantly, excellent technical musicianship. stevie's voice is just...indescribable...it really is. their songs 'baby puzzles' and 'twenty 8' are really powerful and just awesome. they are also amazing live (probably why i've seen them like 4 times in the past month or something :rolleyes:) i get so sucked in by watching them live, i actually just zone out, its amazing. only 2 other bands have ever had that effect on me. so yeah..this is one of those 'non-constructive' posts. but i really don't have anything to say in that department!

the cuts, i feel, still have a long way to go. i have seen them on several occasions, and although they are improving a lot, i still always feel theres something 'lacking'. i kind of agree with stu on this one, i think a change in drumming sound could totally revolutionise their sound, but as has already been said, rhalina is still getting to grips with playing, and her style is bound to expand and improve. also, if teh band like it this way, then thats their own choice. one great thing about the cuts, however, is lucy's voice. i really do like it, i think she could also do a lot more ambitious stuff if she tried. i shall see tomorrow at moshulu...i could be proved wrong!