aberdeen-music

First time post!

Guest stripey

Hi, I'm new here just found the site...looks interesting.

Is there a forum for posting tunez people have made for review?

Are any of you into writing electronica/triphop/drumnbass or write music beyond the 4-piece band and covers? Any computer based artists?

Stripey

Originally posted by CliveRavensby

clive ravensby use a synth,keys,drum machine,sampler and all that jazz.

as well as the usual 4 person line up.

but we're not really that usual.

i hope that helps.

You're one of my favourite local bands at the moment. Oh and where did you get that synth with the voice thing? And how much was it?

You're one of my favourite local bands at the moment. Oh and where did you get that synth with the voice thing? And how much was it?

aw shucks. the synth thing you mention is a microKORG, and cost just under 300ish.

Im intrigued id like to have a listen..

hohoho, at the moment clive ravensby is totally improvised each night, but we are gonna write some pieces and re chord them. come see us on wednesday 1st october@kef, doors 7pm, and say hello.

Computers computers, it's ALL about the computers...

I think using them to their advantages are great, and it's also really good to use them for things that anologgggy things cannot achieve (I apologise for the early morning, basic language... though its lunch time) BUT BUT BUT

You cannot beat in the world of composition, the old styleeeeeey I'm sorry but the idea of composing everything on a computer is kinda souless, like a production line... with robots.

Though robots aren't bad... I speak shite.

Originally posted by Lester Burnham

Computers computers, it's ALL about the computers...

I think using them to their advantages are great, and it's also really good to use them for things that anologgggy things cannot achieve (I apologise for the early morning, basic language... though its lunch time) BUT BUT BUT

You cannot beat in the world of composition, the old styleeeeeey I'm sorry but the idea of composing everything on a computer is kinda souless, like a production line... with robots.

Though robots aren't bad... I speak shite.

Bullshit. There is nothing robotic about it. Its not a production line. If you actually had a clue what is involved you might be better placed to talk shit.

There is no difference between composing on a computer and composing live with a bunch of people playing instruments. U go to any studio in the UK - and u will find a computer sequencer at the heart of it. Guitars and analog multitrack recorders are for hobbyists.

I'm not denying the advantages of technology.

But "u" are being rather ignortant, only so much creativity can come from sitting at a monitor, the buzz of the tower for company.

"U R" making it sound like computers are the ONLY way good music can be made.

I know the work involved behind all the programming etc, trust me. Like I said before, the advances in music technology are incredible, and have become almost vital in modern music production. But your attitude of denying that the past has created anything good is soul wrenching.

I'd like to meet you when there is a power cut.

Edit begins:

HOWEVER, I have been flipping through your posts and can see where you are coming from now. I saw your conversation with my comrad Dresden, and you made complete sense there. I guess you just come across a bit forceful with your opinions at times (I'm an ignorant twat at times, as you may have noted) but hey, don't take what I say too personally, justa message board etc...

Originally posted by Lester Burnham

I'm not denying the advantages of technology.

But "u" are being rather ignortant, only so much creativity can come from sitting at a monitor, the buzz of the tower for company.

"U R" making it sound like computers are the ONLY way good music can be made.

I know the work involved behind all the programming etc, trust me. Like I said before, the advances in music technology are incredible, and have become almost vital in modern music production. But your attitude of denying that the past has created anything good is soul wrenching.

I'd like to meet you when there is a power cut.

*Almost* vital? it IS vital. There is interesting stuff from the past. And im not denying that some of it is "good". But this is the 21st century. If anything you can be MORE creative sitting infront of a monitor, because you dont have to ask some sweaty kid to play a piece 500 times before he gets it right. You dont have to put up with out of time drummers. You dont have to put up with ego tripping "artists". You dont have to bin a whole recording because someone fucks up his part. You can make some very personal music. Part of the creativity comes from creating interesting sounds and manipulating them, at the end of teh day most of it is still played on a keyboard. I have plenty of respect for real musicians with creative talents. I have no respect for teenage kids pretending to be metallica in their parents loft. At the end of the day, I'm putting together complete tracks, writing all the drum bass and melody parts and engineering it myself, and I still manage to finish at least one track a month!

I'd like to hear you play your Argos fender strat clone when theres a power cut! :D

Edit begins:

HOWEVER, I have been flipping through your posts and can see where you are coming from now. I saw your conversation with my comrad Dresden, and you made complete sense there. I guess you just come across a bit forceful with your opinions at times (I'm an ignorant twat at times, as you may have noted) but hey, don't take what I say too personally, justa message board etc...

Yea sorry if i sound a little aggro, I just like to stand up for myself and make no apologies for being the person I am. I want to be doing something different, not just more of the same. Im out to express not impress.

Ive never been into "rock" and I just wanna see something alternative going down in aberdeen. I wanna hear something *scottish* not american.

Anyway yea all in good spirits, i aint a hater really ;)

Stripey

And now we have peace.

NOW I getcha. I was blind and now I see.

Yeah, I'm also rather sick of the greasy kids doing the whole, "rawk" thing, busting out with their immitation guitars and looking like Good Charlotte. It doesn't appeal to me, the american sound was tired long ago, though there are still a few good yanky bands coming out... note the word FEW.

I've always wanted to do something electronic, but I can't fail to appreciate the original methods, call me tradiotional or something like that.

I find sitting on front of a monitor soul draining, however I have had a few shots of it, and in the short bursts of time I can take of it, I seem to make some very personal working. I haven't done it for a while because my neighbour who had all the equipment has moved to Glasgow.

Alrighty then, curiousity, favourite bands?

i think electronic music can be very personal.

and i find using cubase can be much more expressive than using a hardware sequencer. too much punching in numbers and math type stuff with hardware. with cubase you just click where the stuff is meant to go.

but i do use a mix of everything. i play all my stuff into cubase from my rm1x(the sounds not the midi for vst)...sometimes programmed sometimes live. and then i loop that and edit it.

then add the beats using the grid on cubase.

i also add some air synth to give it some life and fill out the sound.

in this way i have created some of my most expressive music...much more expressive than when using a guitar.

and fuck using keyboards! boss dr5's are the future! you'll see!

i also like using the grid to put in the notes. its great for arpegios!

guitar music still has its place though...same as cheesy pop and all other genres.

Originally posted by M.A.R.T

i think electronic music can be very personal.

and i find using cubase can be much more expressive than using a hardware sequencer. too much punching in numbers and math type stuff with hardware. with cubase you just click where the stuff is meant to go.

but i do use a mix of everything. i play all my stuff into cubase from my rm1x(the sounds not the midi for vst)...sometimes programmed sometimes live. and then i loop that and edit it.

then add the beats using the grid on cubase.

i also add some air synth to give it some life and fill out the sound.

in this way i have created some of my most expressive music...much more expressive than when using a guitar.

and fuck using keyboards! boss dr5's are the future! you'll see!

i also like using the grid to put in the notes. its great for arpegios!

guitar music still has its place though...same as cheesy pop and all other genres.

o_O

Okay, well I don't understand most of that again (damn you smarty!)

but yeah, some computer stuff is c'est fantastique!

Stripey, you should listen to some of the hookers green stuff, it's not overly heavy on the electric stuff, but it's mighty clever as they manage to recreate it all live. That's where the challenge really lies in my opinion. That's where I was coming from with the shutting yourseolf away with a computer stuff... nothing beats a great live performance.

Or at least that's my opinion.