aberdeen-music

home recording

Guest Stripey

What compilation is 'Now's the Time' going to be on?

Well...I sent the first live version from Drakes to an Irish label called Deserted Village who asked me for a song, but I don't know if they'll use it.

We'll have to get that proper recording of it done soon.....how about next Tuesday, before the Open-mike?

Kitchen Cynics.................................in the gutter, looking at the sitars...............

I've done quite a lot on cassette/CD-R on my own' date=' but officially it's 3 vinyl albums (2 of which got reissued on Get Happy, who put out some GBV stuff), plus 3 CDs (although one is on a strange Belgian CD-R label called Audiobot). I've also had a few 7"s out over the years, and tons of songs on compilations (alongside Country Joe, Bardo Pond, Thurston Moore, Tom Rapp, Half Japanese, Ghost, Television Personalities etc)

The Cavern used to have some vinyl, but I don't know if there are any left.

Kitchen Cynics.................................doggedly plodding on......................................[/quote']

you ever thought about putting all the best stuff together on a compilation? just a thought like.

you ever thought about putting all the best stuff together on a compilation? just a thought like.

Yes...I did two compilation CDs a couple of years ago......I'll easily copy them for you, if you think you could stand it!

Kitchen Cynics...............soundtrack to the Timson/ShaunF thread (with Spike, of course!)

Duncan the cello player has borrowed the library digital 4-track, so if any of you have useful hints for it, please post them. I was of limited help, never having used a digital one (although it's by Yamaha, like my cassette one, and the layout is similar).

Kitchen Cynics.........................................unlearning the guitar the easy way.........

Yes...I did two compilation CDs a couple of years ago......I'll easily copy them for you' date=' if you think you could stand it!

Kitchen Cynics...............soundtrack to the Timson/ShaunF thread (with Spike, of course!)[/quote']

i'd love to, you should hear my four track stuff!

i'd love to' date=' you should hear my four track stuff![/quote']

That would be great....we can do a swap....I'll PM you nearer the weekend.

Kitchen Cynics............................................ :up: .....................................................

Guest pop-notmyface

i recorded something on an old portable tape recorder. it worked fine and the quality isnt too bad either. i did that at school, so i guess that would be a "school recording" :rolleyes:

i recorded something on an old portable tape recorder. it worked fine and the quality isnt too bad either. i did that at school' date=' so i guess that would be a "school recording" :rolleyes:[/quote']

Sometimes you get lucky - I remember recording an old 'school' band (in the educational sense of the word, not skool!) on a double-deck tape recorder and if the volume was high enough (ie: ears bleeding :D) you got no hiss at all... but then you run the risk of blowing amps, windows and erm... the school's power supply... whoops... ;)

having just rediscovered my fostex, its a fabulous four track machine, i found two finished songs from 2000 (the last thing i recorded!) which sound ace.

i found writing songs a bit like riding bike! full of ideas at the moment!

• 2 weeks later...

bit of both methods

i think if you want a rocking sound. record your kit live.

good hint is double mike your snare drum. over and under. dampen the room as much as possible. duvets, carpets, motherin laws( only if she has big knockers!)

gate each mic input when recording the kit, especially your cymbals and toms as they will pick up spill from the kick and snare btu vice versa.

7 mics is a safe bet for a standard kit.(kick, snare x 2, hihat,toms, overhead x2)

then transfer each track individually onto your pc. this takes time but its worth it.

use any program you are happy with but a minimum of 16 tracks is good.

ive used seven so there are 9 left.

i then individually record

rough gtr(guide for bassand rhytm and should be deleted from final mix)

bass, rhythm gtr, lead gtr, vocals( clean no effects), backing vocals( slight reverb) ,keyboards, samples etc etc

i set my levels and add effects then put a 2:1 compression on the whole mix and burn to cd.

no need for the studio if youve got a warm garage. :band:

I use Logic 5 (last PC version) and it works a treat with a Delta 44 card

Steve our bassist uses Cubase SX and an Audigy

Wavelab 4 is king of editing software

The beauty of Amplitube is that anything can be put through a guitar amp, orchestra's the lot.

I hate digital evangelism nearly as much as I hate analogue Luddite rock purism, anything can be made any way, but I like my way best.