aberdeen-music

Karloff support the MISFITS in Belfast

Rob Karloff

Hell yeah, we get to open for the creators of horror punk once again! July 15th, The Limelight, Belfast, N.I., although I somehow doubt anyone would make the trek over there. But, it is only one of three UK dates for the Misfits, the others being Sheffield on the 14th and Brighton on the 16th.

On a similar note, we can be found giving Dr Drakes another coat of blood on the 20th of this month. Do come along to see the horror show... Rumour has it our music is pretty damn good too... ;)

Guest stuartmaxwell

congrats!

that biography just keeps on growing

perhaps aberdeens lesser experienced bands should take notes from karloff,

nae bullshit, work hard to get your arses onto great bills and tours by actually bothering your arses to organise shows outside town, then reap the rewards later on when word travels

which brings me to a a big gripe of mine

so many local bands say, "we are trying to get some shows outta town right now but we aint having much luck"

i could garuntee you at least 70% of them have sent under 20 press packs, probably straight to venues that get thousands (while completely ignoring local promoters and local bands), then sit on their arse and wait to be contacted

fair dos if they have tried every possibility and had not much luck-usually cos the demo is poo *ahem*:( even still you would prob get shows, orwell had a show in glasgow, edinburgh, dundee booked for the one weekend and our demo was poor, but i just sent loads and loads of emails, press packs, phonecalls, and as a result of which people put me through to other people who could help,

i am aware that i aint got much experience in the field of booking gigs and dont have any touring experience etc etc but it seemed rather easy to get shows out of town, as long as you have a demo, contact as many people as possible and are willing to go these towns without talking about money for the first few times

so, why is it that so many great abderdeen bands seem to be stuck to playing show after show in aberdeen?

we have a healthy scene, why is the rest of scotland, uk, world not getting to see why?

what are everyones thoughts on this??

Guest stuartmaxwell
awsome.

and just general lack of contacts.

:swearing::help:

that is the defeatest attitude im talking bout

why not contact bands you have played with, see if you can use theirs,

gig swapping, websites are full of contacts, even promoters here can help

etc etc

i dunno why it bothers me so much :rolleyes::up:

Quality indeedy - Ant mentioned this over a pint or two in't Moorings before Dangerfields and it sounded exciting indeed. I notice Mr.Only's been trying to get Danzig back involved again lately to no great degree of success. :rolleyes:

Maybe you can use your time with them to 'persuade' them to come back to the 'deen?

Well done to Karloff.

On the gigging out of town thing - it is definately the way ahead - The Lorelei played Aberdeen exclusively for the first 2 years, and we noticed a distinct fall off in numbers - the thinking being that "Oh, they're playing next week - I won't bother tonight". Once we started getting gigs out of Aberdeen it improved attendance when we did play at home, as such gigs were much fewer.

Perhaps some sort of "out of town gigs" forum or website (maybe on the AUBL website) is an idea. Bands who have played outside Aberdeen could leave details of where they played, what the venue was like, how much they got paid, did they get accomodation, promotors name/contact details, etc. Bands could also use it to co-operate for gigs where a support is required.

Regards

Flossie

Pffft....if you're a band with no car, no mates who drive, no one in the band who can drive, you're NEVER gonna get a decent out of two gig.....even if the demand was there for you...

congrats!

that biography just keeps on growing

perhaps aberdeens lesser experienced bands should take notes from karloff' date='

nae bullshit, work hard to get your arses onto great bills and tours by actually bothering your arses to organise shows outside town, then reap the rewards later on when word travels

which brings me to a a big gripe of mine

so many local bands say, "we are trying to get some shows outta town right now but we aint having much luck"

i could garuntee you at least 70% of them have sent under 20 press packs, probably straight to venues that get thousands (while completely ignoring local promoters and local bands), then sit on their arse and wait to be contacted

fair dos if they have tried every possibility and had not much luck-usually cos the demo is poo *ahem*:( even still you would prob get shows, orwell had a show in glasgow, edinburgh, dundee booked for the one weekend and our demo was poor, but i just sent loads and loads of emails, press packs, phonecalls, and as a result of which people put me through to other people who could help,

i am aware that i aint got much experience in the field of booking gigs and dont have any touring experience etc etc but it seemed rather easy to get shows out of town, as long as you have a demo, contact as many people as possible and are willing to go these towns without talking about money for the first few times

so, why is it that so many great abderdeen bands seem to be stuck to playing show after show in aberdeen?

we have a healthy scene, why is the rest of scotland, uk, world not getting to see why?

what are everyones thoughts on this??[/quote']

Guest stuartmaxwell

bollocks!!

you are trying to tell me that you know nobody who drives?who wouldnt give up a night to go to even dundee

dont talk shite, its not like you have to take all your equipment either, most places have a drumkit and pa, and at least one or two amps

its like you have given up before trying

Guest Andrew Griswold

Misfits Belfast tickets now on sale in case anyone fancies makin' the trip:

http://www.wegottickets.com/gig.asp?3323

I hear Easyjet do some rather cheap flights from Edinburgh/Glasgow...

http://www.easyjet.com

...and you can all stay at my house.

As for this giggin' out of town thing, we only play Belfast once a month now and consider many other UK & Irish towns/cities as 'homes away from home' - Aberdeen, Dundee, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dumfries, Steornabhagh, Birmingham, Leicester, London, Exeter, Torquay, Plymouth, Bristol, Porth, Rhyl, Limerick, Galway, Derry, Dublin... they all know the scourge of The Dangerfields only too well! Keeping up a healthy (or insane in our case) gig schedule ain't easy though - it requires dedication, sacrifice and constant hard work baby!

How long does it take for a passport to come to take me to Belfast?

I think I'm too late for this gig but future ones...

Not sure. But, you'd need to sort your own HSS ferry ticket anyway as I've already booked them for the rest of us and the van. We're also doing a couple of other dates the subsequent couple of nights, organised by the good Sir Griswold!! Thanks guys for the good words and comments though, we do appreciate it a lot. As Andrew says, anything is possible if you want to do it bad enough. He pulls it off with loads of never-say-die attitude and sheer will. Would you drive an estate car packed to the gunnals with gear and cretins 500 or more miles to a gig, play your set, then maybe drive another few hundred to the next town....? He does, and that's how he makes it work.

Guest Andrew Griswold

Yes, I do - and I love it! Well, sometimes I hate it, but it's gotta be done baby! And it's always worthwhile - every gig teaches you new tricks, plus playing is always fun, plus there are usually hot chicks to look at! Beats working in a bank, that's for sure...

Now, you don't strictly need a passport to get to Belfast - definitely not if you're coming by ferry. Easyjet will ask you for photographic ID (passport/driving licence), as they would on any domestic flight, but the ferries don't give a fuck. So nobody has any excuse for not comin' over!

Guest Andrew Griswold

Tickets for the gig are 15 and ferries will usually set you back 15-25 for a foot passenger return. Of course, you'll have to get your ass to Troon/Stranraer/Cairnryan first. Check out the ferry companies for routes/quotes:

http://www.stena-line.com

http://www.seacat.co.uk

http://wwwpoirishsea.com

The Limelight is a killer club and this gig will attract a huge, fun lovin' crowd. Belfast doesn't get a lot of big name punk bands so this really will be an event. Go baby go!

Well, we're heading down to pick up Uncle Pesto in East Kilbride the night before on the 14th, leaving Aberdeen in the van about 6pm I'd imagine. Then, up bright and early to be at Stranraer for about 9am on the 15th, in time for the Stena HSS ferry at 10am to Belfast. On the way back, we are on the 12:20 Stena HSS back to Stranraeron Sunday 18th. I don't see it being a problem you coming, as long as you fix your own ferry tix, and are willing to put up with an uncomfortable ride in the back of the van with the other guys, and chip in for the diesel!

I might well take you up on that offer sir! Let me get back to you on it once I've done some forward planning on the matter :)

Roughly how much for the diesel would you think?

Dunno. It will be what it will be, and if you come then you pay us 1/6th the cost. It doesn't have to be right then and there, just as long as we get it before too long after coming back. It's a diesel transit van, so shouldn't be bad at all. The new transits are pretty quick and frugal at the same time.