aberdeen-music

Side Projects...

Len Atom

What do people think of them? Are they worth it? If you look at guys like Mike Portnoy, who was, at one point, in every progressive band going (actually, I believe he was in a band with Dan too..), it seems that very rarely are musical horizons expanded. LTE turned into a Dream Theater instrumental song writing exercise. Transatlantic, however rewarding musically and socially for MP, didn't exactly stray to far from the style he was most comfortable playing. I suppose O.S.I was the most far - out, what with all the soundscaping and vocal effects. John Schaeffer's Wizards and Shoemakers (or something) is another example of sticking with what you know, by why?

And why are some bands all for their side projects and then others like Metallica are dead against the idea, when there is very little to lose? Has anyone come across any side projects that they felt produce more enjoyable, challenging, inspiring music than that of the "big" bands that were involved?

If you could have a band with other aberdeen musicians, what direction would take? Personally, I'd go down a more singer - songwriter road. No singing behind the drums, mind you.....well, not much! Something like The Band, where everyone took the lead in one way or another.

I just thought I'd bring it up as after the summer I was going to be gettng involved in something a bit different. Thank God I'm in Atom and not Metallica, or else I'd have Dave Lombardo and Joey Jordison showing me up when I wasn't around..... :up:

Guest Sundaram

Personally speaking, I find side projects to be a good way of realising creative ideas that dont fit in with the main band you are in. They generally tend to be more self indulgent though, but I dont think that is all that bad a thing.

Personally speaking' date=' I find side projects to be a good way of realising creative ideas that dont fit in with the main band you are in. They generally tend to be more self indulgent though, but I dont think that is all that bad a thing.[/quote']

I like the cut of your jib, young man. We should do something together. Something a little folky, a little jazzy, a little proggy.......

......nah, what am I saying. It would never happen.........would it? :ding:

I think from the point of view of doing something different from your current band they can be good. Also getting to play a different instrument can be another reason. Depending on what happens with wtw I'd like to do the opposite as some on the side fun.

Guest Scott 5FD

i'd like to form a blues band, which is quite different from playing in a shitty pop-punk band! but i dunno if it'll ever come to fruitation coz i', putting all my efforts in the 'Discount just now. would be nice maybe in the future tho.

Guest Ewan SSR

I always thought that it was pretty cool the way that Blink did it. Tom and Travis went off and did Box Car Racer. They played all sort of dark punk stuff, that sounded more like fugazi and went to more punk roots. The Travis went and did the Transplants, which was awesome. I think it's ok for side projects as long as they are playing something different to what they were before. Like Mike Portnoy. He is in a Beatles tribute band and plays a four-piece rather that his 38,000 piece that is usually there.

Holy shit, did Scott get Banned?

• 5 weeks later...
I always thought that it was pretty cool the way that Blink did it. Tom and Travis went off and did Box Car Racer.

Yeh but Box Car Racer was a major factor in Blink nearly splitting up. It could prove stressful being in more than one band but depends how you cope but yes side projects are good to expand your writing.

I watched that dream theatre dvd its scary......

But amazing at the same time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

You think that's scary? Check out the completely genuine photgraphs of Erskine in one of the other threads! Scary and amazing

By the by, what are you doing around the 13th of August....... :ding:

Side projects are usually good from what I've heard but not at the cost of the main band of the person - look at Slipknot, Pantera & Blink - all bands nearly [and actually for Pantera] torn apart by side projects among other things. I like them but the main band will always be dearer in my heart :)