aberdeen-music

nh

Edgar Graham

Didn't make it down, was recovering from Monday night. Won 550 on Monday night though. Definitely coming this Tuesday. How'd you get on Keilan?

Were you playing the 20 rebuy on Monday? I hear mad Derek made about 14 rebuys...550 is a tidy sum, wp..... I haven't done too well lately....fancy play syndrome I am told...probably wont be back for a month or so, hooked on 25PLO at hills just now though to build back up....

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday at International, some guy was having the absolute luckiest fucking game of his life, topped off with this.

Can't remember what happened pre-flop, but the flop came Kd Jc 5d. Derrick bet's 5,000, lucky-bloke who has chip lead moves all in adn Derrick instantly calls. Guy turns over top pair KJ, Derrick turns over Q8d for a flush draw. Turn comes a diamond, giving Derrick his flush. River comes Jd, giving lucky-guy Jacks full.

Derrick obviously wasn't happy. But, still, he did call all-in with a flush draw which wasn't even the nuts flush. What do you guys think?

I agree with that, but do you think the guy was right to call the all-in move (he was covered by a large amount) on what was essentially a queen high flush draw?

Depends if he was short stacked and had to make a move, if he wasn't then its not a great call. Maybe he just got bored and fancied a gamble.

Flush draw and a backdoor straight draw are possibilities, it's unlikley someone is holding AXd and the Kd is already out on the board but he's not beating anything on the flop so he must figure the other guys ahead, either that or he thinks he's bluffing.

Depends if he was short stacked and had to make a move, if he wasn't then its not a great call. Maybe he just got bored and fancied a gamble.

Flush draw and a backdoor straight draw are possibilities, it's unlikley someone is holding AXd and the Kd is already out on the board but he's not beating anything on the flop so he must figure the other guys ahead, either that or he thinks he's bluffing.

He definetely wasn't short stacked. He lead out for 5,000 on the flop then the other guy moved all-in and he called straight away. That 5,000 was only about 2/3rds of his stack, maybe even less, so he wasn't completely committed. Its alot to lose, but I don't think I would have called it on a flush draw.

Few luckboxes playing last night...I made a ridiculous fold with A 10 to Derrek after he min raised under the gun (I shouldn't have folded he usually raises like 18xBB if he has anything) ... I then sat back tight and waited for a hand... a young guy had just been seriously outplayed by another young guy, so he fires in a typical raise UTG next hand...I don't particularly put him on a hand, he has > 14,000 chips, I have 6300, blinds are 200/400 , his raise was 3xBB so I reraise all in for isolation, blinds fold and he doesn't hesitate to call in a second. I immediately get the horrible feeling by his confidence he has jacks or queens (I have nines) but he flips over fours. I stand up and say "You'll hit that don't worry" right enough the fucker did....

I don't know what else I could have done as he would have bust me on the flop anyway (was all rags) but I am wondering if anyone else would be so quick to call the short stacks shove with two fours? I know I wouldn't... I'll make the following a spoiler as its a results orientated moan about why I shouldn't have lost..and the only person interested in a bad beat story is the person telling it!

Two things spring to mind, it was the first hand I had played so he had no idea what my range was, most players always think the all in shove is Ace King (or worse Ace Jack) so he feels he is ahead with his fours (54/46) but even then its a pretty weak hand to call with, no one else showed any interest in the pot so theres every possibility of a few aces and Kings still out there. If he loses on a coinflip he's down to around 8000 (starting stack), and with the blind about to shift, he'll find himself having to make an all in move himself if he wants any chance of getting those chips back.

So, if he puts me on a pair, theres only 2 pairs he can beat (2's and 3's!) I haven't sat and patiently folded the last 12 hands to push all in with that!

So he has to assume he's a 4:1 dog on the hand and drawing to a 2 outer or running cards...some simple poker math comes into play...

Blinds = 200 + 400 = 600

His initial raise 1200

My push 6300

So there is 8100 in the pot

He has to call another 5100 to win 8100, so by pure pot odds (there can be no implied odds as I am already all in) he is getting < 2:1 on the call. This is not a good price when you should be able to logically conclude you are behind. To call with fours in this spot, I would have had to be making a desperate push with a tiny stack of around 3800, he would then only have to call 1200 and would win 5600 if it hit (4:1), which justifyies the call. Of course, he can call me any time he likes with pocket fours against my pocket nines, I got unlucky that time....as fucking usual

In the case of "Rebuy Derrek"...I think his play sounds fairly standard. Leading out for 2/3 his stack isn't a particularly good move, and is reserved for holding the best hand. Personally, if I am betting more than 35% my stack, I just ship it all in. he's just over >2:1 dog on the hand so if the guy shoves for his final 1/3 he has to call...hard to work it out without the exact figures, but sounds like he is getting more than 4 to 1 on the call, get those chips in!!...ok if he loses he's out, but if 5000 was 2/3 his stack, is he going to sit there and play with 2500? (maybe it wasn't 2/3?) Mr KJ became 9:1 dog on the turn....very lucky indeed...this is one of Derrek's more calculated all ins.....his J 6 on an A 9 4 flop at the rebuy on friday in the very first hand was a little more out there.....but thats why they call him rebuy Derrek :D

I play on willhill as well, generally 5 thunder sixpaks. I'm really good at coming in 2nd but rarely 1st which is annoying.

I just had a quick bash at this....think I just found a bunch of complete fish., but you should have no problem beating this game easily...have a look. I miss out on a straight flush...:down:

http://www.keilanknight.com/thunder.mp4

In the case of "Rebuy Derrek"...I think his play sounds fairly standard. Leading out for 2/3 his stack isn't a particularly good move, and is reserved for holding the best hand. Personally, if I am betting more than 35% my stack, I just ship it all in. he's just over >2:1 dog on the hand so if the guy shoves for his final 1/3 he has to call...hard to work it out without the exact figures, but sounds like he is getting more than 4 to 1 on the call, get those chips in!!...ok if he loses he's out, but if 5000 was 2/3 his stack, is he going to sit there and play with 2500? (maybe it wasn't 2/3?) Mr KJ became 9:1 dog on the turn....very lucky indeed...this is one of Derrek's more calculated all ins.....his J 6 on an A 9 4 flop at the rebuy on friday in the very first hand was a little more out there.....but thats why they call him rebuy Derrek :D
I meant to say the 5,000 was about 1/3rd hsi stack. Don't knwo why i said 2/3rd.

He still would have had about 10,000 to play with. And him getting so angry about it, the guy had flopped the top 2 pair, had Derrick WELL covered so losing wouldn't have killed him, so pushing All In was standard. I think he did over-react a bit.

Just got home now, was 15th out of 44 I think, left Keilan sitting a few seats away from me. Played the last few hands I was in terribly. Didn't help having the drone sitting on my left.

Only about the 7th tournament I've played in, still alot to learn. Doyle Brunson's Super System is on order!

Im skinty poo or else I'd have been down.

The best book I've read so far is Gus Hansen's Every Hand Revealed. Got Super System as well, but haven't gotten all the way through it.

I think playing as much as possible is also always going to help. Hence playing twice a week at The Northern Bar. 5 buy-in. Good laugh. Maybe not the best play (in fact, there's some seriously dodhy AKA utter shite play by some pissed/unexperienced folk) but at 5, I'm not complaining.

I just missed the final table...the standard of play last night was debatable (although this worked to my advantage!) What did you have in the hand against the girl? (never try and bluff a girl, I think thats why she had so much chips...her range was weak)

My best play was folding Kings against somebodys eight ten offsuit on an eight ten something board. I didn't like having to do that but something didn't seem right....had to leave my seat after that one (were you still there?) Eventually knocked out by a chump who thought he made a great trap against me with his ace nine off against my pocket pair....nine on the river :angry:

Oh forget Super Systems...pick up either Harrington on Hold Em (for strategic tournament strategy) or Kill Phil (for hyper aggro donk tournament strategy)

Im skinty poo or else I'd have been down.

The best book I've read so far is Gus Hansen's Every Hand Revealed. Got Super System as well, but haven't gotten all the way through it.

I think playing as much as possible is also always going to help. Hence playing twice a week at The Northern Bar. 5 buy-in. Good laugh. Maybe not the best play (in fact, there's some seriously dodhy AKA utter shite play by some pissed/unexperienced folk) but at 5, I'm not complaining.

+1

Although the Northern bar seriously tilts me....usually because if I am playing there I am so skint I want to turn my last fiver into 80 :D

• 2 weeks later...

I run so fucking bad.....2nd chip leader at our table yesterday and get involved in a big pot with this hand (pocket tens) The pots were reasonable sized preflop and on the turn, I certainly had the right price to call on the flop and the implied odds were very good if I hit my gin card on the turn.....I hit and he moves all in, I call before he's finished moving in his chips....no prizes for guessing which card came next (hint, it wasn't a spade or a jack)... over 15000 chips lost in this pot early on in the game aswell....went on tilt after that....

whyme.jpg

Similar happened last week, though not as bad as that.

Im in the small blind

Kc 8c, bet 2xBB pre-flop. BB folds, 4th and button call.

Flop comes: Qc Jc 9c

I check through, 4th position moves all-in, I call instantly. Forgot about the button, so I've played out of turn. Button folds Kd 10d face-up.

4th position had flopped set of 9s.

Turn - fuck all

I'll let you guess the river card. It wasn't the 10c. or a J or a 9.

Tilt after that until I went out.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone wants to play poker online and get staked to do it, a message board I visit are looking for people to take up their challenge of beating either 6000 cash hands or 200 SNG's (min buy in $5).... I am going for the 200 SNG challenge...if you pass the test (which is to breakeven or show a profit) they will be staking you 100% at a level higher than you trialled at, for a 50/50 split....its aimed at casual punters who don't look at 16 tables 20 hours a day so its a good chance to get a lot of online experience without risking any of your own money (you need to trial off your own money, but the idea is that you are profiting or breaking even so you don't need to risk anything) PM if you want more details....I will be officially giving live poker a miss for a good while now....only 30 games into it but seem to be doing ok....

ss1.jpg

ss2.jpg

</brag>