aberdeen-music

Korg ms 20 - usb controller

Steven Milne

i have aqquired one of these and am trying to sell it on ebay but thought one of you guys may be interested in it.

immaculate condition, like brand new, i can get the software for you if need be for free.

KORG MS-20 USB CONTROLLER - immaculate condition! on eBay, also, Synthesisers Sound Modules, Pro Audio Equipment, Musical Instruments (end time 03-Sep-08 17:06:16 BST)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are bidding on a Korg MS-20 USB Controller replica of the original Korg MS-20 Synthesize.

The unit is in next to new condition and has hardly ever been used at all. No marks on the unit at all and works perfectly.

This auction does not come with patchleads, however you can pick them up very cheaply. This auction does come with legacy software, however it's been registered, and you can't re-register it. So the legacy software can only be used for the trial peroid.

**Taken from wikipedia**

Oscillators

The MS-20 has two VCOs. The output of VCO1 can be set to triangle, sawtooth or adjustable-width pulse. The output of VCO2 can be set to sawtooth, square, rectangle or "ring mod" which is in fact an exclusive-OR between the pulse output of VCO1 and the square wave output of VCO2. Although the pulse width of VCO1 is adjustable, there is no voltage control for this parameter and as a result pulse width modulation is not possible. The VCOs have Hz/V voltage control inputs.

Filters

There are two VCFs. Both VCFs are 12dB/oct Sallen-Key designs. Resonance ("peak" in Korg parlance) is adjustable but not voltage-controlled. The VCFs are connected in series, high-pass first and low-pass second. This allows both voltage controlled band-pass and notch responses to be constructed.

Originally, the filters used Korg's proprietary KORG-35 chip. Later, the filters were redesigned to use off-the-shelf LM13600 OTAs. MS-20 fitted with LM13600 filters have a small daughter board.

Modulation

The MS-20 also features a modulation generator section which is located next to EG1. This acts as the main control for the modulation being able to choose between 'waveform' and 'frequency' at which it modulates. There are cutoff frequency modulators under both the highpass and lowpass filter which control the rate at which the frequency modulator modulates the filter cutoff function on each of these filters, this is closely used with the main control panel of the frequency modulation to control waveform and frequency. Modulation can be heard sonically as a 'wobble' in the sound, the frequency controls in the modulation generator simply mean at what rate the sound 'wobbles', the higher the frequency, the faster the rate of 'wobble' or modulation. At this point this is where the sound becomes less like the original sound source and something unique using frequency modulation

Envelopes

There are two envelope generators. EG1 has Delay, Attack, and Release parameters, whilst EG2 has Hold, Attack, Decay, Sustain and Release. The envelope generators have S-trig trigger inputs.

Other sources and options

The MS-20 also includes an LFO with ramp up and down, triangle, square, and various pulse waveshapes. There is a noise source, a separate modulation VCA, a wheel controller, and a trigger button. It is possible to connect the MS-20 to a step sequencer like the SQ-10 (another product by Korg). This involves making use of the CV input and the trigger input which connects straight to the SQ-10, this means that the synthesiser and the step sequencer can work in synchronisation to play the notes when the next step of the sequencers pattern is triggered. In theory it is possible to connect any analogue sequencer to the MS-20 providing it has a trigger and CV input.

Musicians who have used the MS-20

The MS-20 has been used by bands and artists such as Deutsch-Amerikanische Freundschaft, Felix Kubin, Liaisons Dangereuses, Soulwax, Air, A Flock of Seagulls, Liam Howlett of The Prodigy, Simian Mobile Disco, Digitalism, Shapeshifter, William Orbit, Electrosexual, Simon Posford, Skinny Puppy, Greg Anderson, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Eliot Lipp, Chicks on Speed, Severed Heads, Safety Scissors, Goldfrapp, Dubstar, Covenant, The Faint, Mr. Oizo, Kimouts, Zia McCabe of The Dandy Warhols, Foals, Klaxons, Legowelt and The Presets have also used an MS-20. Aphex Twin likes to put many of his sounds through the ESP (External Signal Processor), which is also used by Mira Aroyo of Ladytron.

Nicole Skeltys of Biftek and Steve Law of Zen Paradox and others played in an MS-20 only improvisational group called the MS-20 Arkestra in Melbourne on 6/6/06.

Would there be any way to get a hold of the legacy software at all or does that not get sold seperately?

I'm sure you could steal it from the internet somewhere. According to the Korg website it's not discontinued? You could use that to ease any potential guilt about downloading.

Well if it can only be registered once ya know, might aswell get a hold of it somehow. I reckon i'll have a looooooong hard think about this one, ive been dying for something like this. But rather than putting "dibs" on everything as maxi's noticed recently i'll just say im "interested".

If this doesn't go on ebay, then i'll be in touch.

Well if it can only be registered once ya know, might aswell get a hold of it somehow. I reckon i'll have a looooooong hard think about this one, ive been dying for something like this. But rather than putting "dibs" on everything as maxi's noticed recently i'll just say im "interested".

If this doesn't go on ebay, then i'll be in touch.

It's already on ebay!

I'm sure you could steal it from the internet somewhere. According to the Korg website it's not discontinued? You could use that to ease any potential guilt about downloading.

when i got it , a friend said he could fix me up with the software for free. so yeah, i could get you a copy for free.

ive read some places that its discontinued and on others that its not, also the price varies from $300 to $600 dollars but the most common price ive $499.

its on ebay but if someone wanted to buy it now id give them it for the price there and throw in the free software.

patch leads - i got it second hand and there were no patch leads with it. it hasnt been used so its brand new but technically second hand and used.

my bad - i listed it new.

but thats not to say its not immaculate - it is - no marks / nothing - its perfect.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...