aberdeen-music

Installing Humbuckers

Chris

Right we installed some new pickups on my guitar (http://www.aberdeen-music.com/galleries/showimage.php?i=8166&original=1&c=member&imageuser=45) last night.

The neck pickup was fine but after we wired up the humbucker according to the instructions it didn't work. The wires it has are green, black, red and white (which we soldered together and taped) and there was an unexpected bare wire which wasn't present on the pickup it replaced. It was mentioned in the instructions though so it got soldered according to the bit of paper.

Once we removed the bare wire the pickup started working.

So has anyone had this problem before? Should the bare wire be soldered onto the pickup selector (on the same point as the green wire according to the instructions) or can I just leave it off?

Right, when we did that it didn't work.

What's the effect of leaving the bare wire unconnected (but taped)? The pickup works but am I losing something by doing this?

The bare wire acts as a shield to get rid of hum, so you may get some unwanted hum if you don't use it.

You could try swapping the black and green wires.

So I had another look at this today. Soldered the bare wire to the same contact that the green wire was connected to, as per the instructions and got no sound when I tried the guitar. Disconnected the bare wire again and it works.

But, as suggested earlier, there is an unwanted level of background hiss. Most notable when I hit the distortion or a delay pedal.

I'd like to get this sorted before the 11th Sep ideally...

I'm a complete novice when it comes to soldering and electronics. All we did was connect the coloured wires on the new humbucker to where the matching colours were connected on the old one. However the old (duncan designed) pickup did not have a bare wire visible.

Surely someone has come across this before?

Just a thought, which I'll check tomorrow (not going to look at it again tonight). What would the effect be if the green was connected to hot and the black connected to ground? Would the pickup still work? That might explain the sudden death if the bare wire is being connected to hot instead of ground. Perhaps that's what's happened.

I found a 3 way switch circuit diagram on the seymour duncan site that looks like the same wiring as mine. So I'll compare it tomorrow.