aberdeen-music

100 Greatest Quotes from Fundamentalist Christian Chatrooms

Bigsby

Although you make a good point, saying that people are only religious because of existentialist fear and doubt is a sweeping generalisation. And as far as I'm aware, science has yet to either refute or confirm the existence of God.

I also don't think I've ever said that Science has ever confirmed or denied "a god" (the words were "refutes (currently)")...the interesting thing about that point, is that Science is open to it (either way), with "proof" (be that physical, quantifiable, ethereal (if that's such a point)).....religion on the other hand, would never entertain the idea that there is no god......logic wins with me hands down, and that doesn't mean to say it's a cold, loveless life.

why else would anyone be "religious" ? - it's surely the fear of death (and the fact that 99% of us are a waste of space & time (and star dust, wink wink)) that people cling to the "hope" (blind faith) that there is a big, lovely "good man" going to look after us, when we die (if we've been good).

What would the other reasons be? - if it's a sense of community, that's not particulalry specific to religion, is it. I don't think it is a sweeping generalisation to say that most (if not all people) take comfort that their "afterlife" will be rosey, compared to their "living life" - hence, the fear of death is removed. (or eased). It is the one uniting factor of all religions - the afterlife is ace (if you are "good"). I'd hate to think who's "hell" is the real one, as there is going to be a lot of pissed of "good folk" who banked on the wrong side, ending up with scorched feet.

I also don't think I've ever said that Science has ever confirmed or denied "a god" (the words were "refutes (currently)")...the interesting thing about that point, is that Science is open to it (either way), with "proof" (be that physical, quantifiable, ethereal (if that's such a point)).....religion on the other hand, would never entertain the idea that there is no god......logic wins with me hands down, and that doesn't mean to say it's a cold, loveless life.

why else would anyone be "religious" ? - it's surely the fear of death (and the fact that 99% of us are a waste of space & time (and star dust, wink wink)) that people cling to the "hope" (blind faith) that there is a big, lovely "good man" going to look after us, when we die (if we've been good).

What would the other reasons be? - if it's a sense of community, that's not particulalry specific to religion, is it. I don't think it is a sweeping generalisation to say that most (if not all people) take comfort that their "afterlife" will be rosey, compared to their "living life" - hence, the fear of death is removed. (or eased). It is the one uniting factor of all religions - the afterlife is ace (if you are "good"). I'd hate to think who's "hell" is the real one, as there is going to be a lot of pissed of "good folk" who banked on the wrong side, ending up with scorched feet.

What on earth do you mean, "logic wins with me hands down"? All your statement says is that science is open to being proved wrong, while religion is about absolute belief, irrespective of empirical evidence. It's two different approaches to deciding whether there is a God or not. If what you're actually saying is that agnosticism is more logical than religious belief, then that's another debate entirely.

The problem with atheists attempting to understand religious belief is that they think people who believe in God do so because of some kind of mental calculation about hedging their bets. What most of them don't seem to realise is that truly religious people feel something at a level that can't be scientifically described. They believe fervently that God exists through what they have felt and experienced themselves, and surely responding to such a feeling could be considered logical. To say that people turn to religion purely out of fear is narrow-minded, indeed.

Harsh.

As long as they don't bring it up why should it matter?

Yeah that came out harsher than I meant it to. But when someone tells me they're Christian, or they believe in god or any of that tosh, I just get this overwhelming urge to slap them in the face and say "wise up". Fair enough let them believe what they want to believe etc. But ultimately I think it's utter balls and anyone with half a brain should be able to figure that out.

Yeah that came out harsher than I meant it to. But when someone tells me they're Christian, or they believe in god or any of that tosh, I just get this overwhelming urge to slap them in the face and say "wise up". Fair enough let them believe what they want to believe etc. But ultimately I think it's utter balls and anyone with half a brain should be able to figure that out.

Yeah im the same.

For some reason I find myself getting angry with them for being stupid and have to resist the urge to tell them to grow up.

I have no idea why though?

• Upvote 1

They believe fervently that God exists through what they have felt and experienced themselves, and surely responding to such a feeling could be considered logical.

This is axactly the argument that a friend of mine (who is absolutly convinced they've met jesus) said to me : you can't question faith with logic.

fair enough - but don't 'question' science with magic.

I feel love for my wife, child, family and friends. I can't explain what that love "is" - or how it manifests (other than a rememberance of "good times" and support)....but no finger could sit on defining "the feeling"...but to have a sense of "love" for something imagined does make me question motives.

It's also the convenient ambiguity religion offers, so as to slip out of holding an argument. it's all about interpretation and "reading"...also, the clause about humans having "free will" is also very convenient, eh.....God's a bit of a daftie for not getting the message across well enough to stop so many factions of christianity, let alone "other" religions getting a slice of the "flock" around the world.

If you love a feeling, and that makes your day better - that's great. but don't tell me that there is a heaven, where all the "good" people go - and a "hell" where non believers (who happen to be "good" in their life)....don;t even tell me that Humans are special, "the chosen ones"...cost that "man" with the beard fucked up when he designed us and set us free in paradise.