aberdeen-music

i just listened to..

KarmaTsunami

Guest Scorge Spike
Originally posted by KarmaTsunami:

well i'm trying to broaden my musical horizon's...and since itend to like things at the heavier side of the musical spectrum i figured stuff like soilwork and opeth might be up my alley..

Try a band called 'Arch Enemy' then. They do that sort of stuff with a bird screaming, no less. 'Wages Of Sin' is the album you need.

PS: Try Biomechanical's debut album 'Eight Moons' aswell. And a band called Liquid Sky, if you are lucky enough to find anything by them.

Originally posted by KarmaTsunami:

haha. heard some strapping young lad n this site, wasnae bad...any recommendations for a good starting point regarding mr townsend?

Fuck, where do I start!

City by Strapping Young Lad

Infinty- Devin solo album

Accelarated Evolution- The Devin Townsend Band

Fuck, PM me yer address.....I send you stuff!

The Best Haunted album in my opinion is their first one, (self titled) folloed by "Made Me Do it" and then "One Kill Wonder"

At the Gates are ok. But far more influential than they were actually good. "Slaughter of the soul" is a very classic album and "Terminal Spirit Disease" is also pretty good.

"Red In The Sky is Ours" and "With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness" are both terrible. I wish I'd never bought them...but I was young!

Regarding Devin Townsend here is what I'd suggest:

"City" - Strapping Young Lad (if you want brutal as fuck but somehow beautiful industrial extreme metal)

"Biomech" - Ocean Machine (this is Devin's most beautiful piece of work, amazing songs)

"Accelerated Evolution" - Devin Townsend Band (similar to Ocean Machine but a little heavier. Devy sings rather than screams through it and it has some beautiful progressive rock but still with heavy guitars. Not a million miles away from the deftones in places!)

I'd say "Infinity" and "Terria" although 2 favourites of Hog's and still really good, are not the best way to get into Devin, as I think you have to already love him to appreciate and even "get" (without sounding like a Devin elitist snob)

I'm glad you like the new in flames one.

I was pretty disappointed to be honest. Sounds like a cross between Him, Korn and Reroute to Remain.

And I don't like Him, Korn and not much of reroute to remain so you could see it coming... :D

In Flames just dropped all those lovely guitar harmonies that made their old stuff so classy and memorable.

I'm sure those lovely people at HMV could provide you with a bit of Soilwork though!

Some mighty fine choices indeed!

You could always ask One up to order you those Soilwork albums... ;)

Once you've got into those bands, I'll see how suggestable you are to a wee bit of Carcass :)

"Heartwork" and "Arbeit Macht Fleisch" (from the album "Heartwork") are pretty nifty songs if that radiostation thingy has them....

Yeah that's a pretty good bargain!

I got the Strapping Young Lad setlist when I saw them live, but I gave it to Hog because I'm nice and he's obsessed :)

I remember buying "City" in Edinburgh and at the same time I bought "Cruelty And The Beast" by Cradle Of Filth and "Greed" by Pulkas' ...

I bet you not many folk can remember Pulkas! They would have well popular if they came out a couple of years later.

Fuck me, that must have been 1998! It doesn't feel like that long ago. The 2000's are going way too quickly...

Originally posted by Dan Atom:

Yeah that's a pretty good bargain!

I got the Strapping Young Lad setlist when I saw them live, but I gave it to Hog because I'm nice and he's obsessed :)

I remember buying "City" in Edinburgh and at the same time I bought "Cruelty And The Beast" by Cradle Of Filth and "Greed" by Pulkas' ...

I bet you not many folk can remember Pulkas! They would have well popular if they came out a couple of years later.

Fuck me, that must have been 1998! It doesn't feel like that long ago. The 2000's are going way too quickly...

Indeed that rocked when you gave me the setlist, I had to laminate it lol

Pulkas, I remember them, they were ace! Like British Pantera