aberdeen-music

when MMW played with Stoma...

Guest highroller

Guest highroller

I took a real shine to the band...i thought they were awesome...i go on their forum a bit as well as im trying to organise a glasgow show with them...

i saw this thread which links to another thread elsewhere on the underground scene .co .uk and it fucking sucks...

i cant believe some peoples attitudes...take a while to go through this all...i thought some of you might be interested...

elitist wankers some people are...

stoma are a great band...shouldnt that be all that matters..?

stoma debate

Guest highroller

yeah i thought that...nu-metal???

also...did make her cry moan that weapon were billed above them...? No, they realised that in aberdeen they were pretty unknown so to guarantee alot of people watching them they know what has to be done...

Originally posted by Ben Quik:

stoma are a great band...shouldnt that be all that matters..?

Lovely guys, I grant you that but I wouldn't go as far as saying they're a great band. They have bits and pieces that are quite good but over the course of a set it tends to drag. They played for like an hour or something when we played with them in Dundee. I was losing my will to live.I think certain other people there were as well.

Nope. I actually nearly liked them initially, put them on at least one gig I organised, back in the day but no, not them...

I'm not sure this is an issue that would want to be made public tbh. There's enough boat rocking as it is, I'll just fester my rage....! :angel:

I know, but you gotta admit, it's annoying when a local band "headlines" above a shitty, touring hardcore act who nobody's ever heard of.

Too many punk and HC fans are tosssers. End of.

Originally posted by Bob:

I know, but you gotta admit, it's annoying when a local band "headlines" above a shitty, touring hardcore act who nobody's ever heard of.

Too many punk and HC fans are tosssers. End of.

Totally agree, although if it means the local band fans actually watch the touring band, surely it is worth it for the touring band?

And I know what your saying Bob, we need more metal fans. Agreed!

I wouldn't go quite as far to say end of after that one line statement although you're not far off the mark.

Punk and HC fans are arguably some of the most passionate fans around. True TRUE punk/HC/sXe fans REALLY do believe in ethics of their genres which I think I would term 'blinkers' them rather than just calling them tossers. You have to remember that the term 'fan' is a shorten version of 'fanatic'.

There's always two sides to every story - ANY promotor in the world would put on a band they KNOW can pull a crowd to a gig if they were unsure of the popularity of the headline/touring bands. Hell, Paul Stewart and Drakes and Fudge do that ALL the time(and in fact,I'm sure Fudge would be the first to admit they do it for the money 9 times out of 10 rather than the music). There's the famous time that TAR supported Stiff Little Fingers at the Lemon Tree, a gig that had already sold out, solely because the powers that be at the LT liked TAR. However the SLF's crowd HATED them and as good as got boo'ed off stage.

From what it sounds like, it does sound stupid that Stoma played second and not first and maybe the promotor doesn't actually know the scene around these bands that well. However, maybe he knows it like the back of his hand and maybe thought to himself 'hmm, maybe I'll put Stoma on later, they maybe not be true HC but they're pretty heavy, I like 'em and I like HC, maybe the HC fans will like 'em too', trying to help a 'local' unsigned band.

Now like I said in my first post, I don't like Stoma, musically that is. I didn't speak to any of them when we played with them so I don't know what they're like however judgnig by what they posted in the original thread, one of them seems quite sound, another seems a bit of an arse. But it does seem like they've had a bit of a bad rap over it, which is a shame.

I'd also like to add that reading that post, I couldn't help but think of events closer to home which then made me think '....fuck....it's like this everywhere...'

X-(