aberdeen-music

what a great point about so called "emo"

Guest highroller

Guest allsystemsfail

Metal has had a ruining effect on the punk community, that is, the UK DIY activist punk community. Throughout much of the 1980s bands were extremely original in their music output, each with their own distinctive sound. The Cravats, Rudimentary Peni, Chumbawamba, Rubella Ballet, Poison Girls, Zounds, The Mob... While I loved folks like Discharge and Amebix, their influence, and that of metal, ruined what was a music community that was intent on pushing musical barriers. Instead we now find one that appears content with following a standard formula, unwilling to experiment.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Jonny Lucifer:

I'm not saying bands shouldn't develop, but I find it very convienent for a band who made a point of being obnoxiously crude have chosen NOW to 'grow up', when now is time that being a whingy PC-piss-artist is the new cool. See what I mean?

I'm 100% with you on this one chris.

A lot of bands mature; Paradise Lost. Machine Head. Megadeth. Metallica.

All have changed over the years, but not necessarily to be 'cool' and certainly it didn't win them any critical acclaim!

But a lot of these pop-punk bands do seem to conveniently "grow up" and stop singing about poo and erections just as whiny-girl-music beomes popular.

I'm not saying bands shouldn't develop, but I find it very convienent for a band who made a point of being obnoxiously crude have chosen NOW to 'grow up', when now is time that being a whingy PC-piss-artist is the new cool. See what I mean?

Erm... it was something that was on the cards for Blink182 for a while.

Tom's side project, Boxcar Racer, showed the direction he wanted to move in. Apparently he was going to split Blink if they didn't move in that kind of direction. Although if you actually listen to their albums, you'll find that even on the previous album, there were a few songs more in the current style .... along with obnoxiously crude songs.

To be honest, I don't think their new album is radically different, just a natural progression from previous work.... as i'm sure the band themselves are probably a bit maturer too.

And what is this new genre? 'whingy PC-piss-artist'...... no 'core' at the end?

Guest allsystemsfail
Originally posted by Dan Atom:

I'm 100% with you on this one chris.

A lot of bands mature; Paradise Lost. Machine Head. Megadeth. Metallica.

All have changed over the years, but not necessarily to be 'cool' and certainly it didn't win them any critical acclaim!

But a lot of these pop-punk bands do seem to conveniently "grow up" and stop singing about poo and erections just as whiny-girl-music beomes popular.

It is true that a lotta outfits did indeed abandon pop punk for emo. Hardly a measure of committment to their scene I would have thought. Hey, let's get with the next big thing guys.

Guest highroller
Originally posted by Johnny Mac:

Erm... it was something that was on the cards for Blink182 for a while.

Tom's side project, Boxcar Racer, showed the direction he wanted to move in. Apparently he was going to split Blink if they didn't move in that kind of direction. Although if you actually listen to their albums, you'll find that even on the previous album, there were a few songs more in the current style .... along with obnoxiously crude songs.

To be honest, I don't think their new album is radically different, just a natural progression from previous work.... as i'm sure the band themselves are probably a bit maturer too.

awesome post...

Johnny mac and Psydoll...two of my fave "forum - ites"

Originally posted by Johnny Mac:

Damn - a missed opportunity!

I dunno, I see what you're saying, and there's no way of us knowing the bands intentions, but I find it very suspect. The NFG is Kerrang a coipl'a weeks ago was laughably lame.

Originally posted by purplefrodo:

My punk friends worked out the metal formula many moons ago.

My god...you're so right.

I can't believe the I never noticed earlier that Iced Earth, Metallica, Pantera, Black Label Society and Machine Head all sound exactly the same!!

My god, they use the same formula for their songs and everything, not to mention they way they all dress like it's 1984, play huge long solos and act all "Rock and Roll".

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Oh, and do all your "punk friends" have safety pins in their noses and huge greasy Mohawks? Only know 3 chords? Think Sid Vicious was the greatest musician ever? Or perhaps they all skateboard, wear shorts and listen to Blink 182?

Damn - a missed opportunity!

I dunno, I see what you're saying, and there's no way of us knowing the bands intentions, but I find it very suspect. The NFG is Kerrang a coipl'a weeks ago was laughably lame.

Fair point.

Although, again, it was obvious from NFG's last album 'sticks and stones' that they were also moving in a different direction.... and the latest album continues ot show this.

Their first two albums were more straight ahead pop-punk.... the last two have been a bit different.... who knows what they are motivated by?

Money probably these days, I suppose it's differnet when you are starting out a band.... but after you've been there a while, you have to find a means of staying there and making money.

Hard to know how we would react in the same situation as these bands.... when you are quite popular and making a living from your band.

Now you see I see both points of view on this.

Take a band like thrice...their progression was very smooth and they turned from slightly thrashy pop-punk band into a fucking awesome metalcore band.

And I'm not disputing that Blink matured/changed style for their own love rather than records sales. But for a good example of what Johnny Lucifer is on about look no further than Perth;

Even though I quite like many them - there's no doubt that skinny black T-shirts, trucker hats, metal belts and maiden-meets-hardcore-riffs have replaced the long shorts, atticus t-shirts and pop-punk music!

It's as much an observation as it is a criticism!

Guest highroller
Originally posted by Dan Atom:

Now you see I see both points of view on this.

Take a band like thrice...their progression was very smooth and they turned from slightly thrashy pop-punk band into a fucking awesome metalcore band.

And I'm not disputing that Blink matured/changed style for their own love rather than records sales. But for a good example of what Johnny Lucifer is on about look no further than Perth;

Even though I quite like many them - there's no doubt that skinny black T-shirts, trucker hats, metal belts and maiden-meets-hardcore-riffs have replaced the long shorts, atticus t-shirts and pop-punk music!

It's as much an observation as it is a criticism!

great discussion here...

well cant i be accused of this Dan...??

Ill say again...isnt it just punk rock fashion moving on...thats the way i see it...!!

Also, kids change their mind as much as the weather, so they'll change their fashion sense too.... fuck I dunno.... but yes, it's a good CONVERSATION for once.... as opposed to people jumping down each others throat after every post :D

Ben has a point about the fashion... maybe its because all that old stuff is in the mainstream now? i.e. every highstreet chain selling studded belts and the like. Kids want to look different I suppose....

Shit... I sound old now... i'm not really....

Originally posted by Ben Quik:

great discussion here...

well cant i be accused of this Dan...??

Ill say again...isnt it just punk rock fashion moving on...thats the way i see it...!!

Fashion-wise yes. As can I to a certain extent.

However I made a point of mentioning musical examples as well, in regards to the perth bands.

Slaphappy, who I actually really like, are a good example.

Used to sound like NOFX, now changed their name, wear the fashionable get up and sound like Thrice.

All music needs to evolve, including punk rock, it's just with pop-punk the change from singing about knobs to being "serious" seems to be far more obvious than in other genres...

the drive-thru records seem to really know how to take a pop-punk band, make them learn how to play, wear cooler clothes and then become an emo band.

Guest Tooms

i agree with this. I think that punk rock is far larger than most other people think...i go from listening to a New Found Glory album and then put on a Poison The Well album right after and although i can acknowledge the (obvious) change i still feel im listening to punk rock.

As for the fashion: the way i see it is as soon as something hits the high streets the "alternative" kids (and im most definately including myself in this) are looking for something else...but like the music, the fashions associated with the music are very much cyclical. Who knows, next year maybe flairs wil be back in again, again. Well maybe not, but you see my point...

Guest stuartmaxwell

i dont understand why fashion is a factor in anything

i personally think that most of the fashion followers look silly, they try to be different, usually making a big deal about how different they are, but end up looking the same as the rest of their chums

trucker hats-perhaps the single most ridiculous fashion ever?

i believe that they are worn by lumberjacks called yogi and truckers called hank usually

Guest allsystemsfail
Originally posted by Tooms:

i agree with this. I think that punk rock is far larger than most other people think...i go from listening to a New Found Glory album and then put on a Poison The Well album right after and although i can acknowledge the (obvious) change i still feel im listening to punk rock.

As for the fashion: the way i see it is as soon as something hits the high streets the "alternative" kids (and im most definately including myself in this) are looking for something else...but like the music, the fashions associated with the music are very much cyclical. Who knows, next year maybe flairs wil be back in again, again. Well maybe not, but you see my point...

Punk rock does indeed have its extremes. Take Lost Cherrees and Dirty Power Games. Toxic Shock and Disorder. Or KUKL and Extreme Noise Terror.

But fashion? It is not a word that I generally associate with punk rock - an anathema to the many involved.

Guest Tooms

times have changed, but everything has its own fashion.

Sid Vicous had his own fashion which people (punks) followed.

Remember there is a difference between a fashion and being "in fashion".

Guest highroller
Originally posted by Tooms:

times have changed, but everything has its own fashion.

Sid Vicous had his own fashion which people (punks) followed.

Remember there is a difference between a fashion and being "in fashion".

Beautiful

Originally posted by stuartmaxwell:

i dont understand why fashion is a factor in anything

Thats how music has changed throughtout the years. For example few centuries ago in the rennaisance(sp) years music there is "ornamented"(which means trills and turns etc) this was reflected from the whole "trend" as such in that time to ornament things as you can see from most buildings built in the rennaisance period. These buildings had fancy bits(or ornamentation) and this shows that music has also moved with culture and society.