aberdeen-music

Home Recording

Blingking

Also get an interface with built in microphone pre amps.

If you have a bit more money, baring the future in mind you might be better off getting something like a Presonus FP10 (previously known as firepod) for under 350 PreSonus It would allow you to record a drum kit and possibly even an entire band (with some compromises) at once.

Right , i understand the interface with built in preamps, but if i had a mic preamp eg. SM Pro Audio EP84 what interface would you use to get that working with the computer? ie. are there firewire interfaces without preamps?

The presonus looks good.

Yet again, it depends how much money you have and if you have enough pre amps for all the microphones you want to use at the same time.

As far as I understand. The SM Pro Audio EP84 can either be used as as a set of mic pre amps, connecting the line outs to another device used as an AD converter. More likely you would use the ADAT option then plug it into the ADAT input of another interface

Some posibilities with ADAT connections are;

Presonus Firestudio

MOTU 828

MOTU traveller

RME hammerfall

RME fireface

Mackie Onyx 1200

Apogee make stuff that is a step up from that, but it really depends how much money you are willing to spend.

You are looking at quite a subtancial amount of money if you get this stuff so you need to make sure you are going to get enough use out of it to make it worthwhile. Also, buy yourself a good book about recording, as you will get better results if you learn more about what you are doing. I cannot recommend a specific book but I have been quite impressed by what I have read by 'Bob Katz'.

Yet again, it depends how much money you have and if you have enough pre amps for all the microphones you want to use at the same time.

As far as I understand. The SM Pro Audio EP84 can either be used as as a set of mic pre amps, connecting the line outs to another device used as an AD converter. More likely you would use the ADAT option then plug it into the ADAT input of another interface

Some posibilities with ADAT connections are;

Presonus Firestudio

MOTU 828

MOTU traveller

RME hammerfall

RME fireface

Mackie Onyx 1200

Apogee make stuff that is a step up from that, but it really depends how much money you are willing to spend.

You are looking at quite a subtancial amount of money if you get this stuff so you need to make sure you are going to get enough use out of it to make it worthwhile. Also, buy yourself a good book about recording, as you will get better results if you learn more about what you are doing. I cannot recommend a specific book but I have been quite impressed by what I have read by 'Bob Katz'.

so the best option would be a integrated preamp/firewire interface

' date=' post: 463070"']so the best option would be a integrated preamp/firewire interface

That really depends on what you are after. Something like that tends to be more economical for someone starting off and gets you results that are reasonable. Also been a bit of an expansion in the market during recently years of type of devices as home recording becomes more popular.

The device you pointed to earlier requires you to have something else to plug it into and has 8 built in pre amps.

Some good advice so far.

This is what I would do....

Download reaper. It only costs 20 and has a free trial that never runs out, apparently. It is also said to be better than many of the ones you pay real money for, in some ways at least. REAPER | Download

Download this pack of plugins for free digitalfishphones.com - free audio effects plugins

Get an SM57 or similar and some form of condensor mic.

Also get an interface with built in microphone pre amps.

This one will do the job to start you off TASCAM and is little over 100.

If you have a bit more money, baring the future in mind you might be better off getting something like a Presonus FP10 (previously known as firepod) for under 350 PreSonus It would allow you to record a drum kit and possibly even an entire band (with some compromises) at once.

Thanks for the links etc.

I've tried to download these things but can't seem to do it;((

I have a SM57 ready, and a few amps to use etc.

I think I really need one of those pre amp things. I tried to DI my amp into the mic socket on the PC...no joy.

I'm sure to should not be this hard to get going. I reckon I need to buy a mag like the person suggested earlier in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the links etc.

I've tried to download these things but can't seem to do it;((

I have a SM57 ready, and a few amps to use etc.

I think I really need one of those pre amp things. I tried to DI my amp into the mic socket on the PC...no joy.

I'm sure to should not be this hard to get going. I reckon I need to buy a mag like the person suggested earlier in this thread.

Bri, i have one of those audio interface things

TASCAM

i dont use it any more cause i got a 16 track HDD recorder, i'll be putting it up for sale once i get it back from a mate.

Thats what your looking for, it does a great job of recording vocals, guitar etc on to your pc and theres a cd rom with Cubase LE with it.

dx.

Bri, i have one of those audio interface things

TASCAM

i dont use it any more cause i got a 16 track HDD recorder, i'll be putting it up for sale once i get it back from a mate.

Thats what your looking for, it does a great job of recording vocals, guitar etc on to your pc and theres a cd rom with Cubase LE with it.

dx.

Dx, I'll give you call in a week or so to check on progress then. Cheers

Bri.