aberdeen-music

crimes against music.....

delboy

As much as I support the ideas of the DIY punk scene through small shows, shoestring budget labels, zines, distros, tape trades etc i dont agree with the idea that punks built the scene. Sex Pistols were manufactured and were signed to a major label. What followed was bands settin up their own labels and zines etc as a response to the minimalistic music which the Sex Pistols played with the belief that anyone can do it but that doesnt take away the fact that the Pistols were a major label band, as were The Clash...

if it wasnt for these two bands bein on major labels then there would be no punk scene today...the DIY punk scene is a great thing but you can not dismiss major labels although I do try to avoid buyin records on them...

alternativly you can share the view that the damned were the first punk band on stiff records and so what i just said was complete bollocks

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Neubeatz
Originally posted by delboy:

this is freaky i was round at soundian's flat last week and his girlfriend put on this mad music and a version (i suspect the original) of the new bunton single came on!!!!

its about being desperate to have a big hit single......

I saw a performace on a telly show at the weekend, and she was rambling through a chorus that had reference to the lines "and then the uncle came, and then the cousin came, and then the sister...etc etc...all came"....

It really was a dreadful degredation of a good latin groove, and no doubt will get played in the lager lout bars of majorca all summer.

Latin 4 the masses...:)(How long since santana played woodstock?)

Bring back the ketchup or the cheekies...

Originally posted by *Lucy*:

Saying that someone likes morrissey shouldnt be an insult and he is by far a more inspiring lyricist and singer than any member of metallica. My ex tried to make me like metallica but it didnt work. And it never will. Now i just keep away from metallica fans.

The funny thing is, you've already proven that you're a complete idiot, by means of the thread you started about things that annoy you, so there's no doubt in my mind that Metallica fans, and on top of that, people who arn't Metallica fans, try as hard as possible to stay the fuck away from your dumb ass anyway.

Guest allsystemsfail
Originally posted by kirkt:

As much as I support the ideas of the DIY punk scene through small shows, shoestring budget labels, zines, distros, tape trades etc i dont agree with the idea that punks built the scene. Sex Pistols were manufactured and were signed to a major label. What followed was bands settin up their own labels and zines etc as a response to the minimalistic music which the Sex Pistols played with the belief that anyone can do it but that doesnt take away the fact that the Pistols were a major label band, as were The Clash...

if it wasnt for these two bands bein on major labels then there would be no punk scene today...the DIY punk scene is a great thing but you can not dismiss major labels although I do try to avoid buyin records on them...

alternativly you can share the view that the damned were the first punk band on stiff records and so what i just said was complete bollocks

Hey man,

Sure, several of the early seminal punk outfits were indeed on majors. However, the DIY ethic was still then in its infancy, a belief still largely to be embraced. Punk demanded change, rising as a challenge to the rock establishment. Unfortunately, its threat was but brief, many surrendering their values to capital. Punk became nothing more than another commodity.

As to the Sex Pistols - well, they were not manufactured - a product of one of Mclaren's schemes. Such a belief exists only in his mind. The movie The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle was a work of fiction. Jones, Rotten, Matlock, and Cook were disaffected youth who used to hang out in McLaren's shop. They sought a manager, and as McLaren had managed the New York Dolls, he accepted the opportunity. No manipulation was involved.

Also, I do not think you can argue that were it not for folks such as The Clash jumping to a major, then punk would not have achieved the heights that it did.

Oh, and it can also be argued that the Pistols did not kickstart the movement. Some would say it began in New York.

its hard to say where anythin really began tho right? I mean, American bands such as MC5, New York Dolls, The Ramones, The Stooges and even Blondie were part of a punk movement before it became a phenomenom but then if you listen to the likes of the who? then surely early roots of punk can be heard...proven by the pistols cover of substitute which they barely changed...all of which was taken from blues or rock n'roll...cept The Ramones claimed they stole from Bay City Rollers...anyway lost the plot a little bit there

Guest allsystemsfail
Originally posted by kirkt:

its hard to say where anythin really began tho right? I mean, American bands such as MC5, New York Dolls, The Ramones, The Stooges and even Blondie were part of a punk movement before it became a phenomenom but then if you listen to the likes of the who? then surely early roots of punk can be heard...proven by the pistols cover of substitute which they barely changed...all of which was taken from blues or rock n'roll...cept The Ramones claimed they stole from Bay City Rollers...anyway lost the plot a little bit there

Certainly. The Pistols, Damned etc were indeed inspired by the sounds of folks such as MC5, The Stooges, and the New York Dolls. In fact the Doll's appearance on television's The Old Grey Whistle Test in 1973 was particularly important in this. And yes, The Who and Small Faces were important too, as was pub rock. What became punk was a mix of influences from different sources.

Guest Ibid

It really means when did punk become punk. The music was there before the name as far back as the early 60's. If you listen to the Kinks' "you really got me", ten years later that would have been punk rock. My favourite american band of the inspirational era was The Television, who's bass player began the "punk" fashion of saftey pins, tight tartan trousers and spiky green hair. My own band at the time emulated his fashion as did everyone else. And you're right about the majors. We paid to play for 6 months in London, got signed and then fucked over by a major.

Guest allsystemsfail
Originally posted by Ibid:

It really means when did punk become punk. The music was there before the name as far back as the early 60's. If you listen to the Kinks' "you really got me", ten years later that would have been punk rock. My favourite american band of the inspirational era was The Television, who's bass player began the "punk" fashion of saftey pins, tight tartan trousers and spiky green hair. My own band at the time emulated his fashion as did everyone else. And you're right about the majors. We paid to play for 6 months in London, got signed and then fucked over by a major.

Ah Richard Hell. Certainly one of the most exiting performers of that period. His second full length with the Voidoids "Destiny Street" is a great great album.

It's true folks have argued over when and where punk began, though the scene surrounding CBGBs did pre-date what folks over here were doing.

And yes, The Kinks were important too. I forgot about those guys.