aberdeen-music

Guitar Pedal Advice

Gilliegorm

Currently looking to spend some hard earned wad on a new pedal however nae quite sure what to go for:

Current options for consideration are:

Hardware option - Boss ME20, Digitech RP80/90, Zoom GFX

or

Software Emulator - Native Instruments Guitar Rig v3

Anyone any experience with these? Would software emulator work well in live environment - any experience of that?

Help/advice greatly appreciated. currently using an old Zoom 505 but it is tired and a little buzzy on connections.

Taa muckle.

I think you'd regret spending a wad on a multi fx unit if you're planning on using it live. Better off spending it on seperate stomp boxes... they pay off i the long term if you buy carefully.

Good advice - I've tried all the main multi-effects boxes and they're great in the house, but are complete ding live.

Shop around, pedals go for peanuts 2nd hand.

As a started for 10, I'll sell you a Compressor!

(smooth as fuck eh?)

Guest davetherave

Pedals

I've tried all sorts of rack and multi effects setups, what have I ended up with? 6 separate boss pedals, Delays, chorus , distortion, etc and a BCB6 case to carry them all in. Sounds great! Closest multi fx I have found that sounds good live and recording was my Boss GT3, which I just happen to be selling :laughing:

Out of the pedals you listed the ME20 is probably the best but you really would be better getting individual pedals as it gives you more flexibililty and generally higher quality.

I have Native Instruments Guitar Rig and I use it regularly just would never concider using it live. There really is no point and real amps sound better (well, the good ones do anyway). I have had Guitar Rig crash a number of times also (usually I was running other audio software at the time however). The quality of the effects is also not that great. Always feel a bit let down by their reverb and chorus and I don't really like the interface that much.

Also, what do you want multi effects for? To make whale noises?

Just get yourself a decent reverb and distortion pedal. Maybe add a bit of chorus and delay if you want a bit more excitment.

Speaking from experience. I've bought novelty items of gear before and always wish I had just got a decent (small) amp and a few pedals.

In half defense of multi fx, you can get them real cheap second hand... but then that's because everyone eventually sells them in favor of stomp boxes at a later date. If you insist on taking the plunge, my advice is get a basic one for as cheap as possible, as it'll likely serve its purpose before long.

Maybe you could buy a solid distortion pedal (a Proco Rat or a Boss Metal Zone maybe) and a bunch of the super cheap Behringer stompboxes if you want some swooshy noises.

What sort of sound are you after?

Many thanks

Many thanks for all the responses guys (including the smooth sales offers). I can quite easily deduce that individual pedals are the way to go and not a multi fx processor. Thinking about it more, the ease of changing between effects on a multi fx always seemed to be a pain in the ass however with a pedal board, it would be child's play.

I will stick with my buzzy Zoom 505 and start to scan for pedals (eBay here I come).

Thanks again.

In half defense of multi fx, you can get them real cheap second hand... but then that's because everyone eventually sells them in favor of stomp boxes at a later date. If you insist on taking the plunge, my advice is get a basic one for as cheap as possible, as it'll likely serve its purpose before long.

Maybe you could buy a solid distortion pedal (a Proco Rat or a Boss Metal Zone maybe) and a bunch of the super cheap Behringer stompboxes if you want some swooshy noises.

What sort of sound are you after?

A Proco RAT is a fuzzbox. :p

On the topic of multi effects units, they're baws. What you want to do it hunt around on ebay for old 70's analogue pedals...

I would highly recommend trying out the distortion pedals before you buy them. A lot of it is really down to personal taste.

Chorus, Reverb and Delay etc. are not so important to try out providing you know the pedal you are getting is going to do what you want but distortion in my opinion is something I wouldn't buy without trying first, preferably through an amplifier similar to my own.

Just my opinion however.