aberdeen-music

Keyboards/Synths in recordings...???

Dan G

Guest Neubeatz

Synths in music are fn shit, like wah wah or stomp boxs they suck

The only keyboards should be those reedvalve things from guiseppes factory in italy and the only guitars should be nylon strung spanish acoustic made in georgia,

fn tech crap, it'll kill music!!!!

Guest Ibid
Originally posted by Dag'n'Mandy:

Synths in music are fn shit, like wah wah or stomp boxs they suck

The only keyboards should be those reedvalve things from guiseppes factory in italy and the only guitars should be nylon strung spanish acoustic made in georgia,

fn tech crap, it'll kill music!!!!

Stuff and nonsense. And spoken I hope in jest.

I own a microkorg and its one of the coolest things i own. It adds such a depth to the recordings we did. You can find them on the "Lets start a real feedback..." post on the feedback forum. On the last page of that thread there's a link to The Void's mp3s. Download "The Void" and hear how awesome the synth can sound.

yeah well of course there is a place for synths but it depends on the band naturally. burnham's post were funny cos as far as i know she's played a nord and a VL tone (of course things may have changed since the last time i saw the shocks) so hardly an expert on the matter but hey she's keen!!!

betamax remains the synth and programming genius, the sounds he could get out of the machines, listen to some of the earlier real shocks recordings and you'll get the picture, curly wurly is the best example.

Guest Ibid

Real Shocks do indeed turn out some fine tunes. BedHead's Stu is a programming genius too. The only man I know who can make sequenced stringed instruments sound like the real thing. His sequenced accoustic guitar sounds are awesome.

Originally posted by Cloud:

I hope there's going to be a song about dragons and ice on the EP..or i'm going to be upset :(

Of course there will be! Track 2 is titled "where dragons fly and heroes die (Swords In The Wind)"

(sing like Gamma Ray)

Here are the lyrics:

Where Dragons Fly And Heroes Die (Swords In The Wind)

The Legions of warriors

They storm through the land,

As dragons breathe fire

To kill on command.

Through forests and mountains

With swords raised to sky,

The heroes have come here

To fight 'til they die!

CHORUS:

Swords in the wind!

The dragon breathes fire

Swords in the wind!

To kill with desire

Swords in the wind!

The dragon flies higher

Swords In the wind!

These lyrics are dire

A battleground plagued

With the ice, wind and snow,

As steel strikes steel

Hear cries from below.

I stand with my blade

I'm defiant in battle.

My magic destroyed

Every band from Seattle.

CHORUS:

Swords in the wind!

The dragon breathes fire

Swords in the wind!

To kill with desire

Swords in the wind!

The dragon flies higher

Swords In the wind!

These lyrics are dire

Originally posted by Dan Atom:

Of course there will be! Track 2 is titled "where dragons fly and heroes die (Swords In The Wind)"

:laughing: that just made my day :D

Does this mean we can expect Ben to be dressed like an Lord of the Rings character at the next MMW gig? :angel:

Guest Tam o' Shantie

of course keys are cool! just listen to the queers 'punk rock confidential' LP and feel some of those mad organ solos, besides the old 10ew classic 'DFTA' had keys in the chorus and so does the new feel-good summer smash 'whoops!'. the coolest synth sounds i have heard were on the most recent locust album!

Originally posted by Ibid:

Real Shocks do indeed turn out some fine tunes. BedHead's Stu is a programming genius too. The only man I know who can make sequenced stringed instruments sound like the real thing. His sequenced accoustic guitar sounds are awesome.

making sounds out of synths that sound like real instruments is not something I would do, but its tres admirable if it works....all that velocity, aftertouch, and gate programming / randomising / humanising is mega time consuming, but does add realism....i have a mate in France who does it on string samples and makes it sound like a Michael fucking Nyman record, amazing basically

my thing on the other hand is just creating sounds that are very non-real.....anything from stuff that can go grrrrrrrr! and have the same energy as a road drill or wee bleeps as cute as the Clangers....but mostly in yer face squelchy stuff...and electro drums too (not the real sounding type either)

we usually program synth sounds as part of writing the song....Flava playes the tunes in time to our drummer like the robot sequencer she really is, and I manipulate the program in real time untill we all like it. Then the sound gets saved and is often exclusive to that that song as it would probably sound bollocks on another song

we only really use guitars to back up the synths, not the other way round as someone bizarrely said it should be done earlier

and the best synths weve used.....

Waldorf Pulse (the ultimate squelch box)

Nord Lead 2 (thee fucking uber synth!!!)

Electron Sid Station (sounds like a super nintendo)

Casio VL Tone (bedroom fun)

Moog MicroMoog (otherwise called the squelch organ)

we actually had a huge synth sale a while ago and the microkorg went with lots of other stuff even though it was a decent synth

future synths we aspire to are the Electron Monomachine and the Nord G4......we'll just have to get rich first...bastardo!

synths vs guitars?

>both

Guest Ibid

Superb stuff betamax.Stu actually does his sequencing commercially, creating backing tracks for his own band and for duos and solo acts all over the world. If you've ever heard an act with bad midifiles, you'll know the size of this market. He does do the real synth stuff too, mostly for his own songs. He too likes your work.