aberdeen-music

KARTTA: new recording of Henri Got Cancer added

Guest idol_wild

Guest idol_wild
I hate it.

Only kidding, but my version is better.

So the joke's on you.

Your version was absolute knickers though!

:gringo:

My proof? Remember that re-worked 3-piece Dedalus set we did at The Tunnels? Well, of the songs we played that night, only your version of Henri Got Cancer was ommitted from youtube. That tells the story ;)

Guest Steven Dedalus
Your version was absolute knickers though!

:gringo:

My proof? Remember that re-worked 3-piece Dedalus set we did at The Tunnels? Well, of the songs we played that night, only your version of Henri Got Cancer was ommitted from youtube. That tells the story ;)

How cheeky!

I feel it was omitted because of your cack-handed guitar skillz.

In all seriousness, "Henri" is my favourite of all the songs. I actually do really like my version of it (to be comepetely honest, I think it's one of the best recordings I ever made). And the fact that I like it even though ROb stole all the lyrics from a rubbish book, proves how good it is.

Sorry, I meant, "Rob was inspired by a great work of literature..."

Still, my favourite recording of it is the original...I've been listening to it loads recently, and it just has.....something.

But the new one is rockin, and Martin sounds in fine form.

As does Michael! And you can tell him I said that.

Sorry to get carried away, but I did laugh at how I could spot who was playing the respective guitar parts! Dave's are especially noticable!

In a good way...

Any chance of a Belfast gig?

Possible reunion tour?

Eh?

No?

Oh, ok.

Guest idol_wild

I feel it was omitted because of your cack-handed guitar skillz.

As does Michael! And you can tell him I said that.

First point: probably, in fact almost definitely, the case.

Secondly, it wasn't Michael who laid down the bass track! ;)

Guest bluesxman

At last a great song gets a decent recording. It's a good un because it's nicely structured, has a good pace and has a good tune to it. No daft unnecessary bits, everything in it's place.

My compliments to Mark's recording, which was a nice easy process, and Rob's ever improving vocals.

Any chance of being sent copies of this and the other track recorded so I can listen on a decent system?

Guest idol_wild

Good luck getting a copy off Rob - I'm sure he'll be the first to admit he's not the most organised of fellows when it comes to such matters! Eh, Rob? ;)

PS - link me to your radio show. I need to start tuning in to local shows when I can.

Guest Steven Dedalus

I'd be happy to put my version on the internet, if none of the Kartta fellers mind...

My version is mainly done on with acoustic 12 string, bass and drums. I kept the main guitar melody (only made it sound more 'sad'...), and changed more or less everything else.

Like I say, it's my favourite song that Rob has written, and I recorded it as a little present for him before one of our gigs. I still think it's one of the best songs/performances I ever gave.

The Kartta version is rad, though....

Aside from the fact that myspace brutalises the guitar sound and drums i bet that sounds great on CD.

You guys are so achingly retro in a good way (not the faux,fashionable way) in both overall sound and song composition, i fucking love it.

Stop bloody well re-recording the song though, settle on this version for god's sake ;)

Aside from the fact that myspace brutalises the guitar sound and drums i bet that sounds great on CD.

You guys are so achingly retro in a good way (not the faux,fashionable way) in both overall sound and song composition, i fucking love it.

Stop bloody well re-recording the song though, settle on this version for god's sake ;)

i think we're pretty settled on this version now. i particularly like the ending.

Guest idol_wild
I actually prefer the old recording better, not really sure why. Don't feel the overall sound gives it the right edge.

Also for the record, RMTC is my favourite Maps song.

PS. Steven could i hear your version?

I actually agree 100% with both your points there. I fucking miss RMTC.

Steven's version of Henri sounds like early REM. Especially with the D/Dsus2 hammer on. Typical Steven Rainey and typical Buck. True story.

Guest Steven Dedalus

It's full of 12 string goodness (both acoustic and electric, fact fans!) and I'll see if I can put it on myspace.

I might even put the original recording of it up, cos I played guitar on it, whilst drunk.

Not a bad performance, tuth be told.

Still, props to the Kartta fellers for doing it so well.

I actually agree 100% with both your points there. I fucking miss RMTC.

Steven's version of Henri sounds like early REM. Especially with the D/Dsus2 hammer on. Typical Steven Rainey and typical Buck. True story.

Do you also agree that you should be called Maps? I think ill just call you that from now on.