aberdeen-music

Another New Format by Sony...

Mouse

Just by a harddrive player and have a 60Gb Disk...

I always thought a multi-track Mini Disk player with 2, 3 or even 4 tracks would be ace for recording your own stuff. I dunno if you can do that with a disk? Maybe use the left and right channles for a track each? Have Sony already thought of this? If not they damn well should.

you use md data disks with those things.they cost about 8 quid a go, and i think will record about 15mins if you are using all 8 channels. you can use a normal mini disk if you just want to record stereo stuff.

we had to use them in 1st yr at uni before they would let us use a "real" studio.

to be honest i wouldnt bother with them...for the same money you can get a decent hard disk multitracker and then you dont have to worry about the disks. or better still just use a computer.

Guest Ibid

I've neve rliked minidisk compression matrix. You lose too much of the high end and a fair bit of the real low bass. No good for really top quality recording. Stick to hard disk.

Originally posted by Sky:

I fear that HiMD will suffer the same fate as the original MiniDisc, and many other failed format between it; the CD is just far too widespread and convenient. To my mind, Sony really shot the MiniDisc off too earlyif they'd waited a couple of years it might well have taken off. It was just too soon after the CD to become a "proper" replacement. Then along came the CDR, and that really killed the MiniDisc.

The MD has several major advantages over the CDsize and durability being the major ones. But these are somewhat trumped by the CDs advantageslower unit cost, higher quality of audio and its massive installed user base.

I think that, rather unfortunately, the HiMD will become a MiniDisc-style curio: confined to those with an interest in such things, but never going to be used in studio circumstancesas several people have pointed out, in this avenue it's been rendered obsolete before it was even invented by the hard-disk recorder.

Full marks to Sony for coming out with an interest product, though.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts. Sony seem to make higher quality products and they go down the pan. I wonder if MicroMV has taken off

What attracts me to that minidisc 8 track isn't that it uses minidiscs, its that its laid out like a multitrack should, 8 inputs for the 8 channels (although only 2 are XLR) with are mic/line switchable, 4 band EQ on EACH channel, seperate gain, fader and aux outs on each channel, with seperate aux return channels.....its just a proper fucking multitrack, ie all 8tracks can be recorded at once. If there are any HDD multitracks that do that I would love to see it...as most products i see have only 2 inputs, 3 faders, 1 knob for EQ all shelves on all channels which you have to fart about with....fine if you're recording a vocal along to a sequencer or something, but shite if you want to record a full drum kit....

Originally posted by Keilan 303:

What attracts me to that minidisc 8 track isn't that it uses minidiscs, its that its laid out like a multitrack should, 8 inputs for the 8 channels (although only 2 are XLR) with are mic/line switchable, 4 band EQ on EACH channel, seperate gain, fader and aux outs on each channel, with seperate aux return channels.....its just a proper fucking multitrack, ie all 8tracks can be recorded at once. If there are any HDD multitracks that do that I would love to see it...as most products i see have only 2 inputs, 3 faders, 1 knob for EQ all shelves on all channels which you have to fart about with....fine if you're recording a vocal along to a sequencer or something, but shite if you want to record a full drum kit....

have you tried the fostex vf-160

simultaneous 8 track recording to hard drive and tres portable (does 16 track simultaneous with an ADAT adaptor)

I love MiniDisc.

Small, portable, durable, track/folder naming from the Internet, etc.

I record mine on LP2 format, getting 2 CDs worth on 1 disc, which is great for in the car. And you know what? It sounds every bit as good as the CD it came from. Unless you have an oscilloscope, top notch hi-fi or abnormal hearing range and ability, I defy you to have me blindfold you and then tell me which version was CD and which was MD.

MP3 on the other hand.... I HATE HOW THEY SOUND. And I especially hate all the DJs who downloaded them from the Net, burned them to CD and DJ with them. The hi-end sounds like it's being played through a crisp packet. Actually, it sounds just like parts of the Misfits "Evilive" recording, but it was made in the early 80s!

I possess 10 MDs, which I re-record new stuff onto every week or two from my computer. An 80GB MP3 player or whatever might be able to hold shitloads, but what's the point? When you get fed up, just re-record some new stuff on.

Guest Ibid
Originally posted by Rob Karloff:

I love MiniDisc.

Small, portable, durable, track/folder naming from the Internet, etc.

I record mine on LP2 format, getting 2 CDs worth on 1 disc, which is great for in the car. And you know what? It sounds every bit as good as the CD it came from. Unless you have an oscilloscope, top notch hi-fi or abnormal hearing range and ability, I defy you to have me blindfold you and then tell me which version was CD and which was MD.

MP3 on the other hand.... I HATE HOW THEY SOUND. And I especially hate all the DJs who downloaded them from the Net, burned them to CD and DJ with them. The hi-end sounds like it's being played through a crisp packet. Actually, it sounds just like parts of the Misfits "Evilive" recording, but it was made in the early 80s!

I possess 10 MDs, which I re-record new stuff onto every week or two from my computer. An 80GB MP3 player or whatever might be able to hold shitloads, but what's the point? When you get fed up, just re-record some new stuff on.

MDs are great for the car and for radio quality stuff, but not for serious music. I can tell in 3 seconds whether a track is MD or CD, but then that's my job-your average joe won't.

MP3 is terrible for anyone more serious than teenage skateboarders. I've heard MP3s where the hi hats have disappeared.