aberdeen-music

anyone been to milan before?

JJ 10 Easy Wishes

just use hostelworld or hostelbookers. anywhere near the cathedral is good - you have to see that place :D

and if u go to the san siro (which is the worlds least organised tour) make sure and nick the champions league water bottles from the AC changies cos i was too honest and my woman got in my business about it!

enjoy!!

Guest Tam o' Shantie

i would try a google search, then i would book hotel roxy and walk to the duomo, then walk around with a good map for as long as your legs can stand it, then eat. dont just eat spaghetti, try the risotto and stuff too, and all the food I ate was great there.

I did a tour of Lombardy in June this year.

When in Milan be sure to get a tourist map. They are only 4 Euros from most newsagent stands.

The Dumo (Cathedral), "lounge" (huge arched building next to the Dumo) and the Fortress are all must sees. There is a museum inside the Fortress, so be sure to make time to go round it (I didn't and now regret it).

A word of caution: If you want to see the "Last Supper" mural you may have to book your ticket a day in advance. Again I didn't build this delay into my tour and so missed out.

As for places to stay, I used Booking.com online hotel reservations for all the hotels on my little tour. I stayed in Hotel New York, which is close to the Huge railway station. It is around a 20 minute walk from the city centre and you can see some of the sights on the way there. There are a few good restaurants near by to it too.

Oh, and as Calum said, watch out for the Trams (and the tramps and the gypsies and the drunks and the Mopeds and the beggars and the roadside salesmen).

If you are in Milan for more at least a week you should consider a day trip out to Bergamo and/or Lecco (on lake Como). Both are around an hour and half train journey from Milan, (the trains are really quite cheap compared to here).

Here is the website for the trains:

National HomePage - Trenitalia

Have fun.