aberdeen-music

Old Firm in the English Premier League?

Guest idol_wild

a major force in the English Premier League?

They are your words not mine. As you'll see above I said that I'd be happy to avoid relegation

in a first season in the EPL. And with regard to those two ties, they were against higher calibre opposition than Wigan Sunderland and Derby, we got a result home and away, and most importantly they are all they evidence we've got to go on because Wigan Sunderland and Derby won't make it into Europe in the near future (well perhaps Sunderland in 2 or 3 seasons), and Celtic and Rangers probably be won't ever be in the EPL. But if we did ever have to play them in a competitive match I'd be pretty confident we'd beat them, probably fairly convincingly.

That was 5 seasons ago though. What have you won away from home in Europe since then?

We beat Barcelona over 2 legs, were level with AC Milan over 2 legs (essentially we lost though but didn't they cuff Man U in the semi and beat Liverpool fairly easily in the final?), the 2 goals we scored at Old Trafford would have come into play if we'd been level on points with them last season and eh, well yeah not a hell of a lot else I'll admit (and already have done so above). What I think does make a difference though is that Derby, Sunderland and Wigan (and that's that standard of teams that you suggested we'd struggle against, but I'd say we'd beat, Arsenal and Chelsea are a different matter) are not the same standard as the teams that qualify for the CL group stages,

and travelling down the motorway to Derby can't be compared to flying to the Ukraine, Italy etc.

Chaos would ensue at Celtic Park. There would be disgruntled fans, who would have to sing every week! Rather than sit in silence during non-old firm games, before a wee "easy-easy-easy" song after sneaking an undeserved goal. The subway loyal would also be gutted at having to stay for the entire 90mins, instead of sneaking off at the 60minute mark. That is, if they bothered to turn up at all; strange how the attendance is always in the 50,000's when there are perhaps 30,000 in the ground from kickoff. Should they not just count how many people enter the stadium, rather than the Season tickets + public sale approach + Seville calculator approach?

Rant over

:love:

Chaos would ensue at Celtic Park. There would be disgruntled fans, who would have to sing every week! Rather than sit in silence during non-old firm games, before a wee "easy-easy-easy" song after sneaking an undeserved goal. The subway loyal would also be gutted at having to stay for the entire 90mins, instead of sneaking off at the 60minute mark. That is, if they bothered to turn up at all; strange how the attendance is always in the 50,000's when there are perhaps 30,000 in the ground from kickoff. Should they not just count how many people enter the stadium, rather than the Season tickets + public sale approach + Seville calculator approach?

Rant over

:love:

The ramblings of mad man.

i think if they were let in the premiership they would be top ten condendors maybe pushing for a euro place. but after a few seasons i think with the extra money they would be able to lure top class players and challenge the big four. the infastructure is in place at both clubs - i've always held the opinion that globally the old firm are not that far behind man u.

as for the rest of the SPL - championship standard at best but maybe a rebranded SPL without the old firm might just work given that the likes of hibs, hearts and the dons have a decent fan base. i've always thought the SPL without the old firm would be a pretty exciting league and any one of half a dozen teams could win it. on the other hand without the old firm it could peter out into nothing more than the standard of say the eircom premier league in ireland.

still all hypothetical as i'm pretty sure its never gonna happen!