aberdeen-music

30 Days of Night

medichi

Just got back from this - not quite sure what to make of it!

I'm a fan of the comics - more for the super-gore visuals than the (slightly thin) story, but was quite excited to see the flick.

There were some moments of pure fucking genius - the Vamp on car-roof, the first slaughter scene from top-down, the bait scene, the little girl (maybe a little campy though!) and I was really pleased they kept the proper ending from the comic. And there is LOADS of blood and a fantastically brutal beheading.

But....

...the bits in between played like some godawful Playstation-film adaptation (Silent Hill kept springing to mind) which was pretty rubbish. I was a bit annoyed the main "goodies" became young-couple-on-the-rocks rather than "middle-aged-solid-as-a-rock" as I thought that was purly to sell to a younger demographic and actually hindered the story. I also though the vamps (while fantastic generaly) were a bit mixed - there were a few who were otherworldly-evil fuckers, but the main guy was some slightly chubby bank-manager, when he should have been more freaky (like his bird - holy fuck!)

To compare musically, it was like a Pig Destroyer album, but with long Linkin Park B-sides throughout.....or something.