aberdeen-music

[GIG] The Little Kicks + Chutes + Broken Records @ Snafu

hey peeps,

really good night here with two of Scotlands most promising unsigned bands CHUTES and BROKEN RECORDS joining us good folks THE LITTLE KICKS for a DHC party...

Thursday 15th November

10pm doors

THE LITTLE KICKS

We have three gigs booked in Aberdeen (see myspace) before 2008 kicks in and as of 2008 we wont be playing as much in our home town so we can concentrate on writing songs and gigging away from home. So come down.

This is likely to be the first outing of a new track or two also and will be the first time weve played DHC since tryptich in April.

www.myspace.com/thelittlekicks

CHUTES

(from the edinburgh evening news listings)

Chutes ****

Henry's Cellar Bar

THERE'S not many Edinburgh bands around today you can truly say have the tunes, look and appeal to achieve mainstream commercial success.

Granted, local bands such as X-Vectors and The Magnificents attract healthy-sized audiences and good reviews, yet none of them ever looks like becoming the next Idlewild or Franz Ferdinand. Chutes have that potential.

Their look is certainly contemporary (tight black jeans, skinny ties and diagonal fringes) and their arty sound is just as tight and visceral as Idlewild's once was - before they started wearing woolly jumpers and pretending to be poets. But can they put on a good live show? You bet your drainpipe jeans they can.

Going for that jaggy, high-octane, stop-start sound, they come across like REM had they grown up listening to Orange Juice instead of The Byrds. It might not be your cup of tea, but it's riveting to watch.

Men of few words onstage, the nervy Daniel James Abercrombie fronts the band, twitching furiously like some hyperactive child. Imagine Gregory from Gregory's Girl impersonating Michael Stipe and you'll have some idea how gauche Abercrombie comes across.

In songs such as Night Vision and Hours, there's a level of songwriting maturity stretching beyond their years. The lyrics centre round a never-ending series of problems involving plausible characters.

Yet the real dynamism lies in the band's rock solid rhythm section: bassist Adam McMillan, drummer David Ross, and the quirky interplay between guitarists, Stuart Brunton and Craig Ross. They're tight, punchy and direct - loud without hurting your ears.

http://www.myspace.com/chutesmusic

BROKEN RECORDS

Broken Records are a seven piece band based in Edinburgh, Scotland. Formed in December 2006, they have gigged continuously since then. The breadth of sound is shared amongst the seven members playing guitars, bass, violin, cello, accordion, mandolin, piano, trumpet, glockenspiel and drums. 2007 has been a busy year for the band with live sessions on BBC Radio One and BBC 6 Music, being Best of T Break Stage at T in the Park, and numerous gigs across Scotland. At the beginning of August they mixed their first EP at Chamber Studio in Edinburgh with the help of Stephen A.Cute of the_ACUTE and are now completing their debut album with Sub Station in Rosyth. They continue to gig in and outside of Edinburgh and onto radio in the pursuit to play live to as many people as possible.

"Effortless changes of pace...a swaggering set closer justifies the band's confidence in their approach" - The Sunday Herald

"Broken Records fashion a deft, soaring sound, at points recalling the Klezmer-tinges of Beirut and scale of Godspeed You! Black Emperor...songs like Lies burn with feverish urgency (4/5)" - The List Magazine

"sounds like Bright Eyes having a party with The Waterboys. Which can only be a good thing" - Marc Riley, BBC 6 Music

"...theres certainly nothing broken here (4/5)" - The Skinny

http://www.myspace.com/brokenrecordsedinburgh

plus DHC DJs till 2am

www.myspace.com/dirtyheartsclubsnafu

• 2 weeks later...
Guest idol_wild

Holy fucking shit! Broken Records were absolutely incredible. What a band. They're going far. I'm in love. :love:

The Chutes? Well, blah. The good points: nice 5-string bass; nice shoes. The bad points: the overly-familiar indie racket; bad haircuts; unwillingness to even try anything new; they'd look good on the cover of NME (and, indeed, are probably aspiring to be); the singer probably practices his methodical moves infront of his bedroom mirror.

I just don't get it. They're slick, and they'll possibly be huge. But to me, they are absolute bluffers. They are haircut-pop.

The Little Kicks. You know what you're getting when you sign up for The Little Kicks. You'll get a good beat, a bittersweet croon, and a very well-polished live performance. Aberdeen's most accomplished band, and their following reflects that.

Holy fucking shit! Broken Records were absolutely incredible. What a band. They're going far. I'm in love. :love:

The Chutes? Well, blah. The good points: nice 5-string bass; nice shoes. The bad points: the overly-familiar indie racket; bad haircuts; unwillingness to even try anything new; they'd look good on the cover of NME (and, indeed, are probably aspiring to be); the singer probably practices his methodical moves infront of his bedroom mirror.

I just don't get it. They're slick, and they'll possibly be huge. But to me, they are absolute bluffers. They are haircut-pop.

The Little Kicks. You know what you're getting when you sign up for The Little Kicks. You'll get a good beat, a bittersweet croon, and a very well-polished live performance. Aberdeen's most accomplished band, and their following reflects that.

yea! what phil said! broken records were fucking amazing! chutes were dull but very slick. little kicks were ace as always, great songs played excellently.

Broken Records were really good in places. Their first two songs really were...wow! Then they broke out the accordian, which was a bit eurovision in places imo.Grabbing each others arms and swingin round like you're at a country western night. Stick to the songs with violin and they'll go far.

Chutes were good as they have been the past couple of times I've seen them. Bad points I noticed were that they're very maximo park + we are scientists x editors = chutes. Stuck to the formula and didn't venture from it. I never though that until last nights performance.

I never stayed for the little kicks cos I was just too knackered and with work today, it wasn't possible. I imagine they were brilliant as always.My ambition in the new year is to see them outa town cos I'm startin to think I can't judge them properly anymore cos even on a bad night the home crowd would pull them through.

I never stayed for the little kicks cos I was just too knackered and with work today, it wasn't possible. I imagine they were brilliant as always.My ambition in the new year is to see them outa town cos I'm startin to think I can't judge them properly anymore cos even on a bad night the home crowd would pull them through.

sorry about running a tad late, was ambitious i suppose to do three bands with a 10pm opening and chutes hadnt even soundchecked so they had to line check before going on

i really enjoyed broken records and chutes, they were hard acts to follow especially broken records who i think may have the potential to be very big indeed shortly

i understand what you mean about the home crowd, having people there is kinda like a safety net in a way

but to be honest i think we play better when were out of town and slightly up against it as we try harder

we played on of our best gigs recently in dundee, (the crowd were quite view/libertines esque as the other bands were like that) because we felt we had to win them over

i thought we played well last night and tried hard because we were aware of the other bands being good before us but i think weve played better before

i really enjoyed the night tho and dhc was mad busy

good fun all round

Its was a good night.

Unfor missed Broken Records, but heard great things and Im now kicking myself for not getting my mates asses out of the pub quicker.

Chutes were not bad. Watched there first coulpe of songs and thought

"hey, these guys are not bad!".... then it got a lil repetitive. But still thought they were decent tho.

I agree with the Editors x maximo etc comparisons.

But dont go hating on a band just cause they dress well.

Lil Kicks. A good, tight, concise set. Improving every time I see them. Great stuff as always - Just a lil backing vocals and it be perfect ;)

brown shoes ?

I got a bit muddled up with the shoes, I though one of Little Kicks was wearing brown shoes but apparentnly they never. Did anyone wear brown shoes? .

Does a dozen pints of lager make me colour blind?. I liked the strings in Broken records -but the name sounds like it is the name of a record label.

Broken Records were really good in places. Their first two songs really were...wow! Then they broke out the accordian, which was a bit eurovision in places imo.Grabbing each others arms and swingin round like you're at a country western night. Stick to the songs with violin and they'll go far.

there's nothing wrong with an accordian and to be honest it was great to hear it. certainly didn't give it a eurovision vibe.

you're right though, the first two songs were wow!

Broken Records - actually amazing intrumentally, but his voice started to grate on me. perhaps it was my tiredness... but kinda bored me towards the end as well.

Chutes - having seen them twice before I still really enjoy watching them. dont fix it if it isnt broken!!

The Little Kicks - didn't stay till the very end coz i was weary... but i'm sure it was fantastic as always...

Love DHC nights, although never managed it past the live bands, but if that's anything to go by then i'm sure its ace!!