aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
JJ 10 Easy Wishes

microsoft word

this might be a retarded question but basically i need word for my lovely new laptop so that i can write essays and such things for university. unfortunately, due to me being poor i cannot afford to pay 150 for microsoft office............is there anything i can do to get word on the cheap? i have vista and apparently the lovely people at microsoft like to check up on your registration or something like that and can tell when you have just taken a copy of office from your dad's work and used that registration key instead of paying them.

so anyway, any ideas?

You used to be able to get student editions of office which were a lot cheaper, dunno if they still do that though.

Any other way is going to be illegal and can't be posted here.

Otherwise you could look at open source versions of office like Open Office (OpenOffice.org: Home) which is compatible with MS Office.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Surely Vista comes with word processing software of some sort JJ?

there might be a free alternative to MS office on the internet, anybody know of anything worth checking out?

*cough*

Otherwise you could look at open source versions of office like Open Office (OpenOffice.org: Home) which is compatible with MS Office.

:up:

Surely Vista comes with word processing software of some sort JJ?

It usually comes with MS Works (mine did, despite me ticking the box saying I didn't want it) which is a steaming pile of turd.

Works is shite. The Word Processor isn't compatible with Word at all, leading to a last minute rush home to print off my essay there. Unfortunately, home was/is Newtonhill = me not being amused microsoft. not amused at all.

Guest Neutral
Works is shite. The Word Processor isn't compatible with Word at all, leading to a last minute rush home to print off my essay there. Unfortunately, home was/is Newtonhill = me not being amused microsoft. not amused at all.

Seesm perfectly compatible to me you must be doing it wrong

Seesm perfectly compatible to me you must be doing it wrong

You can convert it to Rich Text Format, which can be used by Word, but then it can't handle footnotes.