aberdeen-music

Marillion get their first top 10 in 17 years

jester1470

I was listening to Radio 1 in the car on the way to work this morning (I know, I know) and as much as it pains me to admit it, I laughed heartily at Moyles as he ripped into a plugger over some crap autotuned shit, live on air. "We're not playing it, because it's rubbish." "But it's playlisted!" "It's rubbish." etc

Damn, I hate siding with Moyles.

Once the Radio 1 DJs start slagging off the music it's a fairly sure sign that they're too old to be there.

A couple of years in obscurity then a move to Radio 2 backons for Moyles I predict

You might well be right. The song was fucking dreadful though, and there were apparently lots of texts in asking him never to play it again. Saturation point for shite? We can but hope...

Most of the people texting were probably too old to listen to Radio 1 as well.

I remember the huge protests when Radio 1 got rid of Dave Lee Travis and the like in the early 90s, listener figures plunged but it had to be done. It's supposed to be a station for young people.

That's why I don't listen to it. ;)

Most of the people texting were probably too old to listen to Radio 1 as well.

I remember the huge protests when Radio 1 got rid of Dave Lee Travis and the like in the early 90s, listener figures plunged but it had to be done. It's supposed to be a station for young people.

That's why I don't listen to it. ;)

Wierd. All the people I know that listen to Radio One in and out of my work are probably outwith their perceived age catchment, so it kind of gives rise to the notion that Radio 1 that are maybe out of touch with their audience, rather than the other way round.

There was a big fuss about it in the early 90s, basically they worked out that more or less the same people listened to Radio 1 and 2, they had a big purge and got rid of the Hairy Cornflake, Ooh Gary Davies, Bruno Brookes et al and replaced them with people who were down with the kids like Tim Westwood and Zoe Ball. As I say, listener figures took a nose dive but I guess most of them went to Radio 2 so from the BBC's point of view it didn't matter.

According to the BBC trust:

The remit of Radio 1 is to entertain and engage a broad range of young listeners with a distinctive mix of contemporary music and speech. It should reflect the lives and interests of 15-29 year olds but also embrace others who share similar tastes.

Chris Moyles is 36, but I guess that isn't in itself the problem. The problem is that he's been on the station for donkeys so people have probably been listening to him for years and years.

Hmmm. That remit's a bit of a shitter, isn't it? For a song to be successful, it needs airplay. Airplay generally has to come from Radio 1. Radio 1 will in a Logan's Run stylee, exclude anything that doesn't fit with what their (presumably focus group directed) perception of a 15-29 year old's listening habits.

How do you get round that?

Hmmm. That remit's a bit of a shitter, isn't it? For a song to be successful, it needs airplay. Airplay generally has to come from Radio 1. Radio 1 will in a Logan's Run stylee, exclude anything that doesn't fit with what their (presumably focus group directed) perception of a 15-29 year old's listening habits.

How do you get round that?

Get it played elsewhere, Radio 2, commercial radio, GMTV, whatever.

I remember reading a funny story about the head of Radio 1 throwing a fit when "Maria" by Blondie hit number 1, as Radio 1 had deemed it not cool enough to make the playlist.

Heard that too.

I take what you're saying about other stations but when in things like Music Week, the other stations never seem to get that much of a look-in regarding things making the a,b,c whatever playlists whereas whenever anything makes the Big Bad One it tends to get a mention.

Not saying I agree with it mind, just something I've observed.

There was a big fuss about it in the early 90s, basically they worked out that more or less the same people listened to Radio 1 and 2, they had a big purge and got rid of the Hairy Cornflake, Ooh Gary Davies, Bruno Brookes et al and replaced them with people who were down with the kids like Tim Westwood and Zoe Ball. As I say, listener figures took a nose dive but I guess most of them went to Radio 2 so from the BBC's point of view it didn't matter.

According to the BBC trust:

Chris Moyles is 36, but I guess that isn't in itself the problem. The problem is that he's been on the station for donkeys so people have probably been listening to him for years and years.

Chris Moyles is a big fat turd who could do with several months worth of kickings.

He looks like Chet when he gets turned into the monster thing in 'Weird Science'.

I'm not a fan in case that wasn't obvious...odious man....

Guest idol_wild
Chris Moyles is a big fat turd who could do with several months worth of kickings.

He looks like Chet when he gets turned into the monster thing in 'Weird Science'.

I'm not a fan in case that wasn't obvious...odious man....

You are brilliant - you summed up my feelings towards Chris Moyles and referenced one of my all-time favourite films when I was a teenager.

Chris Moyles could do with several months of salads. Fucking attention seeking lunchbox.

You are brilliant - you summed up my feelings towards Chris Moyles and referenced one of my all-time favourite films when I was a teenager.

Chris Moyles could do with several months of salads. Fucking attention seeking lunchbox.

I always want to see 'Weird Science' again as I've not seen it in years but I'm kind of afraid it will seem a bit pants and it will ruin it for me. Asda had it for like 2 quid teh other week, I may just have to go for it...

Me and my mates used to always say 'Drink it!' in the voice of the black dude in Weird Science if some one was taking too long to finish their drink.

Chet was my first awareness of Bill Paxton, ace actor...still can't believe Kelly le Brock married Steven Seagal...fat, pony tailed, slow hand fighting fuck.

Guest idol_wild
I always want to see 'Weird Science' again as I've not seen it in years but I'm kind of afraid it will seem a bit pants and it will ruin it for me. Asda had it for like 2 quid teh other week, I may just have to go for it...

Me and my mates used to always say 'Drink it!' in the voice of the black dude in Weird Science if some one was taking too long to finish their drink.

Chet was my first awareness of Bill Paxton, ace actor...still can't believe Kelly le Brock married Steven Seagal...fat, pony tailed, slow hand fighting fuck.

Dude, I say "Drink it" in that fashion all the time! I must have said it whilst in your company at some point...

I used to love the phrase "They're gonna shit egg rolls."

I'd purchase it if I were you. It's still a classic film. And it has the pouting Kelly le Brock in it. Worth the 2; it's worth it, just to visualise her lips wrapped round your bellend. :up:

I dont think radio airplay has nearly as much effect as what it used to since music became much more available via the internet. Radio 1 always seem to be all over the place when it comes to bands, they'll arse lick bands like U2 who are pushing 50 cos theyre still deemed slighly cool but would never touch an uncool band like marillion. Radio 2 have a much better balance of tunes in any case. Last time I listened to radio 1, fearne cotton was on and she was beyond irritating but I guess I'm not their target market!